Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Air drying during fall/winter

  1. #1
    Member Lakiticni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Doors
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

    Default Air drying during fall/winter

    Fall is here, and with it cold weather, rains and a lot of chilly wind blowing. I am curious about air drying hair when it is cold outside.

    My parents are convinced I am going to get sick, or get some kind of brain damage/whatever else if I don't blowfry my hair after washing it.
    I always make sure to close windows in my room before a shower so it would heat as much as it can, and then stay there until it dries, but I am recently being pushed into blowfrying. I'm still resisting to blowfry, but I don't want to get sick, and that is why I am asking you people if you know anything about this.
    chin - shoulder - APL > SBL > MBL > WL > TBL > classic, and will probably go for more!

  2. #2
    Member melusine963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,307
    Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    I always happily air dried my hair, even in winter. That said, I never lived anywhere where it gets really, really cold. I don't think there's any risk to your health if you stay in a nice warm room until your hair is dry. I don't imagine there would be any damage to your hair if you occasionally use a blow drier on a low setting, making sure to keep it a safe distance from your hair and point it in the direction of the cuticles.

  3. #3
    Now-shorthaired mod Anje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,377
    Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Man, you gotta feel bad for all those brain-damaged people from before blowdryers were invented, huh?

    I airdry year-round and live in a fairly northern climate. (Used to live in Wisconsin, quite cold in the winter there, airdrying never bothered me then either.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

  4. #4
    Member Lakiticni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Doors
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Man, you gotta feel bad for all those brain-damaged people from before blowdryers were invented, huh?
    Hahah, nice one

    Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I airdry year-round and live in a fairly northern climate. (Used to live in Wisconsin, quite cold in the winter there, airdrying never bothered me then either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    I always happily air dried my hair, even in winter. That said, I never lived anywhere where it gets really, really cold. I don't think there's any risk to your health if you stay in a nice warm room until your hair is dry. I don't imagine there would be any damage to your hair if you occasionally use a blow drier on a low setting, making sure to keep it a safe distance from your hair and point it in the direction of the cuticles.
    That is just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
    chin - shoulder - APL > SBL > MBL > WL > TBL > classic, and will probably go for more!

  5. #5
    Member GeoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,189
    Length
    Buzz/23/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    When I lived in places with cold winters (and when I go back to Minnesota to visit family during the winter), I had no issues air drying my hair. As a teen I regularly walked to school on winter mornings with wet hair and no hat. It did not cause illness, but water expands when it freezes so it's better to avoid letting your hair "freeze". Now I simply keep wet hair protected under a hat if I need to go out before it dries.


  6. #6
    Member YamaMaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    568
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakiticni View Post
    Fall is here, and with it cold weather, rains and a lot of chilly wind blowing. I am curious about air drying hair when it is cold outside.

    My parents are convinced I am going to get sick, or get some kind of brain damage/whatever else if I don't blowfry my hair after washing it.
    I always make sure to close windows in my room before a shower so it would heat as much as it can, and then stay there until it dries, but I am recently being pushed into blowfrying. I'm still resisting to blowfry, but I don't want to get sick, and that is why I am asking you people if you know anything about this.
    I've air dryed my hair for YEARS (couldn't be bothered to blowdry even before I joined LHC) and I've not suffered the dreaded lurgi from it. I just towel wrap until it's about 50% dry then let it down to air dry the rest of the way. The biggest problem I've had is tight back and neck muscles from it in the cold. Also, I've had my hair freeze on particularly cold (below freezing) days, which I wouldn't recommend you let happen to your hair as it may damage the cuticles.
    BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic


  7. #7
    Member Squiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    38
    Posts
    253
    Length
    APL/hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Just chiming in to say that air drying or going out in the cold with wet hair will not make you sick. You have to actually contract a virus or bacteria to get a cold - wet hair won't do it to you. (I study infectious diseases, so you can tell your parents an expert told you it is okay)

  8. #8
    The Winking Cat Leeloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fholston Paradise
    Posts
    1,238
    Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakiticni View Post
    Fall is here, and with it cold weather, rains and a lot of chilly wind blowing. I am curious about air drying hair when it is cold outside.

    My parents are convinced I am going to get sick, or get some kind of brain damage/whatever else if I don't blowfry my hair after washing it.
    I always make sure to close windows in my room before a shower so it would heat as much as it can, and then stay there until it dries, but I am recently being pushed into blowfrying. I'm still resisting to blowfry, but I don't want to get sick, and that is why I am asking you people if you know anything about this.
    Try using a fan. It works the same way as a blow drier but without the damage and both of your hands are free.

    Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub - Proverb

  9. #9
    The Winking Cat Leeloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fholston Paradise
    Posts
    1,238
    Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    Just chiming in to say that air drying or going out in the cold with wet hair will not make you sick. You have to actually contract a virus or bacteria to get a cold - wet hair won't do it to you. (I study infectious diseases, so you can tell your parents an expert told you it is okay)
    Awesome! This is my favourite post today!

    Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub - Proverb

  10. #10
    Member dulce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,449
    Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

    Default Re: Air drying during fall/winter

    I agree with Leeloo,a floor fan or even a smaller fan,it works great and very fast!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •