Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketokonazole

Default Ketokonazole

I was having some major itchy scalp and hair shed, so I went to my dermatologist a couple of weeks ago, and she diagnosed me with seborrhoeic dermatitis. She gave me an RX shampoo, ketokonazole, and a topical spray steroid, kenalog. The steroid is no biggie, but it makes my head extremely greasy and its annoying... luckily I only have to use it every other week or so. I'm to shampoo with the keto shampoo every other day until she see's me again in 4 months... I've been using it about half of a month... my issue is that my hair is literally the longest its EVER been (my bottom fairy tale ended layer is right to the top of my bra strap), and I'm having a hard time 'shampooing' with the keto shampoo because its so drying... my hair gets incredibly tangled and i can't get to my scalp, so I just do the outer hairline, which is where the majority of the thinning was anyway, but i fear its not being as effective as it could be because I can't get to my entire scalp. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me that might be useful?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Ketokonazole

Just übercondition, condition twice, that's what we do after a harsh sles/sls shampoo (that I have to use because I'm oily, and suffer from bouts of SD). Conditioning twice is an easy solution! (Don't let it touch your scalp, though!)

Just don't give up with the shampoo!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Maybe put oil on your lenght before washing? The hair will become more slippery and maybe it won't tangle that much...
    ChL-SL-APL-BSL-WL-HBL-TBL ........
    30 months dye free
    "When it rains, everything grows..."

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

When I had to use a similar shampoo for a while I made sure to thoroughly coat my hair in conditioner from the ears down before I applied the shampoo, and I made sure to only use the shampoo on my scalp. After I rinsed it all out I reapplied conditioner, and then used coconut oil (again, from the ears down) as a leave-in conditioner after my hair dried. My hair came through ok, and I'm sure yours will too. Good luck!

Length
    NA/NA/NA

Do you have a bottle with a pointed tip you could put it in to apply it? They are really reasonable at Sally's. I have psoriasis and the dilute shampoo mix that I use I apply with one of those bottles. It really helps me to just be able to get it right on my scalp without getting it all over the rest of my hair. I hold my length away from my head as I apply it and when I rinse it. Or, as previously suggested, you could do an oiling or CWC which would also help protect your length.

Wow thank y'all so much for the replies!! I will attempt these suggestions at my next wash.. I already have so much relief, It wasn't until I joined this board a month ago that it 'clicked' that something wasn't right with my scalp.. I'll just be glad when my hair line starts filling back in... I was so glad to hear my dermatologist say I wasn't balding, I had serious anxiety over it for awhile. But i never really noticed the hair shed until recently, so I'm not sure if that was just the final indicator, or what. Anywho, thank y'all again!

In order to get the shampoo to the scalp of my very thick locs, I dilute the shampoo with water, (about 50%/50%) and use a spray bottle to spray it directly on the scalp, lifting my hair in sections to help access to the scalp.

Unicorn

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I am so sorry! Dont worry your hair will be as good as new! I dont know if someone said this already but try putting conditioner on the length while you use the medicated shampoo

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ideally you would note dilute a prescription topical, it's that concentration for a reason. Also avoid oils and butters rich in oleic acid, stearic acid or palmitic acid. You might try washing your head upside down to get better access to the scalp or sectioning the hair.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    Ideally you would note dilute a prescription topical, it's that concentration for a reason. Also avoid oils and butters rich in oleic acid, stearic acid or palmitic acid. You might try washing your head upside down to get better access to the scalp or sectioning the hair.
    The shampoo is diluted, in use, anyway as washing is done with water as standard, hence it is designed for use as a diluted solution. Putting it in the bottle simply adds the water a few of seconds earlier, so the shampoo is a little mixed (therefore less viscose) with the water for easier application rather than trying to do the mixing while its in the hair. The same amount of shampoo is used

Unicorn