Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice for hair in little plaits please.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1c/M/i/ii

Default Some advice for hair in little plaits please.

Right - some advice needed please.

I'm going to put my boyfriends hair in loads of silly plaits again this weekend (I've been asked to) I did this once before about 4 years ago but his hair was broken lots at the ends and I ended up with the bottoms of my plaits being about 4 strands each and ended up damaging his hair when he eventually took them out (it was also bleached then so was weak/damaged anyway)

His hair hasn't grown much in the last 4 years - it seems to break off about as fast as it grows (blame riding to work daily with his ponytail dangling out from the back of his bike helmet in the wind as its just not long enough to stay under his coat when he turn his head from left to right etc) but has been trimmed recently (read as I cut the back so the broken straggly bits were gone) so the bottoms of plaits shouldnt be as much of a problem this time.

I've got a packet of those tiny hair elastic things for the bottoms but was wondering if there was anything that I could do with his hair before I plait it to keep it in better condition while its in them (he'll probably keep them in a while if last time is anything to go by) A heavy conditioner or oils or something maybe?

Any advice at all would be helpful - oh and his hair is probably just above shoulder blade level.

Many thanks and appologies if this is in the wrong place or anything
    Last edited by Kaeri; September 4th, 2008 at 04:35 AM.
    This week is like last week - I'll plan it as it happens, deal with it when it does and live it 'til then. Next week is still a dream, and in the dream I'm always free.
    Lady Sirona of the Shimmering Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Default Re: Some advice for hair in little plaits please.

Hi Kaeri! In the colder months I wear my hair in tiny plaits. Uhmmmm they are not silly

I wash and deep condition before plaiting. You can use a small amount of oil or a light hair conditioner to smooth each section before braiding. I just dip a finger in coconut oil and braid. Depending on his hair texture daily moisture can be obtained by anything from the spritz of the shower to a full water only rinse.
    PLEASE post pics!!
    2008 Goal: Full Healthy SL ACHIEVED!

Type
    1c/M/i/ii

Hmmm... I meant 'silly' in the nicest, most affectionate way...

I will post pics after I've done them - tho getting him to let me take pics in the first place could be a challenge :P

Cheers for the advice
    This week is like last week - I'll plan it as it happens, deal with it when it does and live it 'til then. Next week is still a dream, and in the dream I'm always free.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I definitely suggest oil as well and when he washes tell him to do conditioner only followed by light oiling of the plaits.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    16"/36"/50"+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

The only problem when using oil on the plaits when done is that I found that the oil made the hair elastics fall apart
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon

Type
    1c/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tameriska View Post
    The only problem when using oil on the plaits when done is that I found that the oil made the hair elastics fall apart
    Hmm... I might have to get a spare pack of bands for incase that starts happening. Cheers for the heads up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeri View Post
    And I meant to ask elsewhere - but I may as well ask here and see if anyone can give me a link or some help or something. What oils do you use? I've seen the names (jojoba or cocunut etc) but the only oils I know or are aromatherapy oils are there specific oils for hair? or anything to watch out for or avoid when choosing hair oils?

Would the same oil I get to put in hir hair when I plait it all be the same one I'd use for using after he has a shower? Hmm.. Suddenly realised I know next to nothing at all about oils - I'm going to have to go forum hunting this afternoon I think.

Cheers again guys.
    Kaeri I would suggest a light oil like jojoba or coconut only because as a fine haired person these are the oils I find suitable for daily use. They don't weigh my hair down at all. EVOO is a bit heavy for me and I usually reserve it's use for deep conditioning treatments.
    Wait til our other sisters in hair chime in everyone has a preference and a reason for it!

Hmmm... I meant 'silly' in the nicest, most affectionate way...

I will post pics after I've done them - tho getting him to let me take pics in the first place could be a challenge :P

Cheers for the advice
    Girl I know your playing...you'll have to sneak the pic when he's sleeping

Type
    1c/M/i/ii

His hair is slightly coarse, is there any paticular sort of oil that people have experience of using in plaits like this? I dont want to get him something thats going to make then horrible by mistake (sorry - thats not very descriptive - i'm only half sure myself what I mean there)

And I meant to ask elsewhere - but I may as well ask here and see if anyone can give me a link or some help or something. What oils do you use? I've seen the names (jojoba or cocunut etc) but the only oils I know or are aromatherapy oils are there specific oils for hair? or anything to watch out for or avoid when choosing hair oils?

Would the same oil I get to put in hir hair when I plait it all be the same one I'd use for using after he has a shower? Hmm.. Suddenly realised I know next to nothing at all about oils - I'm going to have to go forum hunting this afternoon I think.

Cheers again guys.

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

His hair is slightly coarse, is there any paticular sort of oil that people have experience of using in plaits like this? I dont want to get him something thats going to make then horrible by mistake (sorry - thats not very descriptive - i'm only half sure myself what I mean there)

Cheers again guys.
    Coconut oil is a favorite. I use the kind marketed for use in cooking. As long as it's 100% unrefined (or virgin) coconut oil, it is fine for the hair.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights