Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens if you hair spray your hair with hair spray and then straighten it?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default What happens if you hair spray your hair with hair spray and then straighten it?

After the hair spray and setting lotion is dried on the hair, then use a hot curler or straightener?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: What happens if you hair spray your hair with hair spray and then straighten it?

I don't understand why you'd hair spray before styling/straightening?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What happens if you hair spray your hair with hair spray and then straighten it?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahthegemini View Post
    I don't understand why you'd hair spray before styling/straightening?
    because some hair strands will get flat and loose after a while.

Length
    26.5/32"/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

There are many effective heat free ways of styling your hair on YouTube. I hope you try them and get good results!
    Lady Zanna, Who Watches Over The Youtube Hair Queens, In The Order Of The Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by glitterbug View Post
    After the hair spray and setting lotion is dried on the hair, then use a hot curler or straightener?
    You'd get hairspray and setting lotion ingredients burned onto your hair. Hairspray is basically misted superglue, and setting lotion more of the same but with oils and silicones as well. Even if you used a heat protectant spray or some such, you'd get any oils frying your hair and any other ingredients burning or melting into the hair.

I don't mean to be a negative Nelly, but it's probably not a good idea to use styling products before heat setting. If you really have to heat style, the only product you should use before styling is a heat protectant spray. Save the hairspray for after the straightener or curling iron.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nique1202 View Post
    You'd get hairspray and setting lotion ingredients burned onto your hair. Hairspray is basically misted superglue, and setting lotion more of the same but with oils and silicones as well. Even if you used a heat protectant spray or some such, you'd get any oils frying your hair and any other ingredients burning or melting into the hair.

I don't mean to be a negative Nelly, but it's probably not a good idea to use styling products before heat setting. If you really have to heat style, the only product you should use before styling is a heat protectant spray. Save the hairspray for after the straightener or curling iron.
    How can I fix this, because I did this on a few sections of hair? and now i'm worried?

also will this have damaged my hair?
    Last edited by glitterbug; September 29th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Usually it makes for crunchy hair. In my experience it doesn't work very well trying to re-style your hair once you have sprayed hair spray on it. It doesn't leave a very good finish. Sometimes you will find a curl won't reset once it has already been heat styled and dropped out without dampening it down and starting again anyways.

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

How can I fix this, because I did this on a few sections of hair? and now i'm worried?

also will this have damaged my hair?

If you've already done it, what's done is done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't make a habit out of doing it. .

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arien View Post
    If you've already done it, what's done is done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't make a habit out of doing it. .
    But how can I fix it, has it caused damage? and how do I remove the spray and lotion from the hair as its now stuck on?
    Last edited by glitterbug; September 29th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

But how can I fix it, has it caused damage?
    If it's caused damage, then the damage is done. You can't fix damage. Period.

You can temporarily make damaged hair behave more nicely so that it doesn't look so bad and so that it doesn't get damaged further by misbehaving, e.g. tangling. Cones would do that. Coconut oil deep treatments might too. Umm... can't think of the rest of the top of my head.