Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid strands keep ending up uneven lengths. Why?

Default Braid strands keep ending up uneven lengths. Why?

I keep my hair in a three strand braid most of the time and all of my hair is the same length. When I braid, by the time I reach the bottom the strands have become such different lengths that I can't braid as far as I'd like to.

It makes the bottom of my hair look really thin, too, which is a bummer. This happens with overhand and underhand braids and I'll just be braiding along when suddenly I'm all out of one strand, while another will still have some length to go and the third will still be very long. The difference will be about five inches. I think it could just be that the braiding pattern uses slightly more of one strand than another and with very long hair the pattern becomes more apparent. But! -occasionally get a braid that spontaneously doesn't have this problem. I can't figure out what is making the difference.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know why it happens?
    Last edited by TenaciousTangle; September 25th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Braid strands keep ending up uneven lengths. Why?

the thickness of your strands is to different to each other. they are not equal - they are uneven.
    but you can handle it
    maybe this video can help you
    `.☆.' *★hair isn't everything you are★*.☆.
    `.☆.' *★ Videos & Pictures ★*.☆.
    http://mondkind.channel-berlin.de/siggi.jpg

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ah, this is a very common problem (and one that I have too). I believe it is caused either by a non-straight hemline (i.e. V-shaped, U-shaped or fairytale ends), the presence of layers and/or the presence of taper - either or all of those could result in there being a different percentage of "longest" strands in each portion of the plait.

Luckily, the fix is also very easy. Basically, as soon as you feel that one section is getting thinner than the others, chose the fattest section and give a bit of the hair from it to the thinnest section (basically like you do for a fishtail plait). If the differences between sections are massive (e.g. a parting mistake at the very beginning of the plait) this will make a mess. But, if the differences between sections are subtle this can be done nearly invisibly if you wait until the thickest and thinnest strands are adjacent. If the differences are slightly bigger, it might be best to do two smaller "donations" rather than one big one, to blend in more easily.

I plait by bringing the strands forward and into the middle. I find it is neatest if you wait until the thickest section is on the left and the thinnest section is in the middle. Then, when you bring the left (thick) section forwards (over the thin (middle) section), you can drop a little bit of the thick section into the thin section. It is practically invisible. You may have to do some experimentation to see at which point in the braiding cycle the swap is most hidden. However, this method works for all types of plait (except rope plaits).

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I think the strands are uneven when you braid you get crooked results.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I think it also depends on braid placement, if you are doing a side braid then it would be perfectly normal. It happens to me sometimes too, when that happens I borrow from the other strand with the longer parts, or you could just have a longer tassel! =)

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

The more even the strands, the better... but even more important is how you part your hair to *get* those strands. If you split your hair into 3 sections any which way, the tassel will always wind up more or less uneven. If you part your hair in a T shape (ie, section off the top like you're doing a half up, then split the bottom in half vertically) the tassel will wind up pretty even even if your hair has some layering. Sometimes you'll see YouTube braid tutorials for this. I like Torrin Page's version which she calls the Faux French braid.

Type
    1b/M/C/ii

also, you have to be consistent with the tension as your braid!
    2011- Braidwaves 2013 - Purple ends - trimmed 17in 2014

may the forks be with you faellen's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I often have this problem, usually due to a combination of uneven strands and a u-hemline. There is a trick though, when you are starting to run out of hair in one strand, just "steal" hair from the other strands as you're going along.

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by faellen View Post
    I often have this problem, usually due to a combination of uneven strands and a u-hemline. There is a trick though, when you are starting to run out of hair in one strand, just "steal" hair from the other strands as you're going along.
    This is what i do .
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    The more even the strands, the better... but even more important is how you part your hair to *get* those strands. If you split your hair into 3 sections any which way, the tassel will always wind up more or less uneven. If you part your hair in a T shape (ie, section off the top like you're doing a half up, then split the bottom in half vertically) the tassel will wind up pretty even even if your hair has some layering. Sometimes you'll see YouTube braid tutorials for this. I like Torrin Page's version which she calls the Faux French braid.
    Ahh! This is where I'm going wrong...