Thread: Searching Problems

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Searching Problems

I hope this is not a duplicate - I tried to post this question a few minutes ago but it never showed up so I'll try again.

I'm having some problems with the search function on this website. I wanted to do a search for all posts that I have done so that I can see what level I am at and how close I am to the next level, but it always tells me I have none. I know that I posted several times in the past few weeks, so it should give me something but it does not.

There have been other times when I have searched for a thread I had seen previously, but it tells me there is no such thread. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Length
    Bob/FTL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Searching Problems

Honestly, the search function on the site is sub-par. I prefer to use google - just put site:longhaircommunity.com in your search and it'll only show results from LHC

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

For your post count, the number beneath your username on the left of your post is accurate to what the site considers your total. As of this response I see you're at 45 posts. I can confirm you have the 25+ permissions tier such as being able to view profiles, create a signature, etc.

There are a few things that are unfortunately going against your attempts to search for your posts. There is a span of time that the forum's search system has not indexed since the site came back online after its crash. That index gap spans a number of years. Last I had word, if we attempted to re-index the site to really bring the search feature back to what it should be at, it would bring the site down for days, so right now we're averse to doing that. That's one of the primary reasons many users double up on their search skills by using search engines such as Google. I can usually find all I need (in the indexed information anyway) with the forum's search feature, but there is an obvious reason to back that up with external methods.
    Last edited by Gumball; March 10th, 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Updated a small bit of information.

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

If you want to see all of your own posts, by the way, find one of them (say, in this thread) and click on your username. That should pop up a dropdown menu where you can choose 'View Forum Posts'. HTH!

(hennahead)

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by walterSCAN View Post
    If you want to see all of your own posts, by the way, find one of them (say, in this thread) and click on your username. That should pop up a dropdown menu where you can choose 'View Forum Posts'. HTH!
    Thanks all for your replies. I am not at all familiar with the way this site works and am still learning it.

I tried what you said above - to click on my username - I did it on my post in this thread. The other problem I am having is that I am not always logged in on every screen. So when I log in and am on the Home page - it says Welcome CraftieKittie in the upper right corner. But when I navigate to Site Support and into this thread it says I am not logged in. So when I click on my username and select View Forum Posts it brings me to the login screen. I often have this problem where I am logged in on some screens, but not on others. I always check the Remember Me button, but that does not seem to help. I never know whether I will be able to perform an action. For example, it would not let me check my posts from this thread - but it is letting me reply to this thread. Is there something I am doing wrong when logging in? Thanks for your help.

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CraftieKittie View Post
    Thanks all for your replies. I am not at all familiar with the way this site works and am still learning it.

I tried what you said above - to click on my username - I did it on my post in this thread. The other problem I am having is that I am not always logged in on every screen. So when I log in and am on the Home page - it says Welcome CraftieKittie in the upper right corner. But when I navigate to Site Support and into this thread it says I am not logged in. So when I click on my username and select View Forum Posts it brings me to the login screen. I often have this problem where I am logged in on some screens, but not on others. I always check the Remember Me button, but that does not seem to help. I never know whether I will be able to perform an action. For example, it would not let me check my posts from this thread - but it is letting me reply to this thread. Is there something I am doing wrong when logging in? Thanks for your help.
    Hmm, that's a very strange issue that I haven't encountered before myself. I'll have to defer to the mods/ other more experienced-and-tech-savvy members to help with that one. I hope you get it figured out. That sounds frustrating!

(hennahead)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Is your browser set to clear cookies frequently?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My browser only clears cookies when I get off the internet. I am trying again today to log in and it says I logged in, but when it brings me back to the thread that I was reading it shows me as not logged in. However, if I go to the Home page it says "Welcome Craftiekittie." I want to post in the thread I was reading, but when I go into threads then it often says I am not logged in. I always click the "Remember me" button. Please help me get this fixed as I want to post and not just read on this site. Thanks.