Thread: How damaging are these styling options? (Scale 1-5!)

Length
    22/26/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default How damaging are these styling options? (Scale 1-5!)

So, scale 1-5 of most damaging (1= not damaging at all, 2= as damaging as a clarifying shampoo, ndb, 3= somewhat damaging, but ok to do once in a while, 4= pretty fcking damaging, do it a few times a year, 5= never do it, it will destroy your hair)

I used to dye my hair a lot so I have some leftover damage from that. But it's been nearly 2 years since the last time I used permanent dye on my hair...and since then I've only used a demi color ONCE. I'm trying to grow it to the end of my back. I use high-end shampoo and conditioner and I really try to take care of my hair...but I have two weaknesses:

1.) a Conair blow dryer that has a brush attachment for styling. I only use it once a week at the moment but I LOVE it and would use it every day if I knew it wouldn't cause too much damage. I often air-dry before using this, because I don't want to use it for that long. I also use a heat protectant.

2.) Hot rollers. Not hot enough to burn my skin, just hot. I leave them in for about 10 minutes then take them out.

So, on a scale of 1-5 how damaging are both of these things?

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Default Re: How damaging are these styling options? (Scale 1-5!)

I'm not going to do numbers, since I really don't know.

I will say that the second option is much better, I know the gals here love steam rollers, I think the brand is caruso (spelt wrong).
    Once a week using heat to enjoy your hair isn't bad if you realize and understand that you might need to trim more often or deal with damage.

I know getting my hair blown out/straightenend is not good for it, but I let myself get it professionally done for special occasions/a few times a year. Not that I have gone in a while, but still I'd like to.

You're 4 inches from your goal lenght, you're not aiming for something crazy far away, I think you'll be fine. I know here damage is seen as sin, but it really depends on your goal and what you want.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    MBL/Hip/FT
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I would say that both of them are 4. From personal experience, hot rollers are as damaging as using a curling iron, and blow-drying is also a killer. I would completely eliminate the dryer, and reserve the hot roller for once in a while. However, if you do both of these things, but don't notice any extra damage from them, then I would say it is OK to still use them occasionally. Just maybe not as often as now.
    Good luck finding the perfect hair care regimen!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Hot rollers are less damaging, don't underestimate the mechanical damage of a brush especially on vulnerable wet hair.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd say the brush on your dryer would be damaging and the heat. If you're going to use them use a heat protector. Corusso rollers are loved here.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    chin/SL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

oh I personally would say first option is 5 and second is 4.
    In my opinion anything to do with heat is damaging to the hair, so it comes to having healthy hair or stylish hair?

To be honest, just do what makes you happy. Because if you stop using both and hate your hair, then well what was the point in the first place?

Chin>Shoulder>APL>BSL
    Going through an awful shed since june'13, lost more than half the thickness of my ponytail.#stressed

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Id say #1 is 3, #2 is 4, maybe 3.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub - Proverb

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

I'd say thy are both equally damaging. And you don't need to use 'high end shampoo and conditioner' to have nice hair btw

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

IMHO, heat is bad news. I'd throttle back to once a month, or special occasions and wear your up the rest of the time.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I have medium/coarse hair and I've found that blowdrying is about a 3.5 on your damaging scale for me. Finer hair may have a worse time with it, and coarser hair may fare better. I haven't used traditional hot rollers, so I can't comment on it. I've had good luck with steam rollers but they're not quite the same thing.