Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why heighten hair on top?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Why heighten hair on top?

I keep seeing threads where folks ask how to get more volume on top of their heads. There are lots of videos with people with hair-rat based poufs on top or toward the back, and everywhere I go I see people with the front top portion of their hair (maybe 3" wide) poofed up and pinned in place.

Does anyone else think this looks strange? I feel like it makes the head look oddly proportioned and a bit alien, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

I have a love/hate affair with volume and poufy hair. On the right person, the backcombed, or comb over a rat look can be so pretty and glamorous. I guess it's another of today's styles. Not for everyone.

I saw a tiny girl waitressing the other day with her hair backcombed so huge that it looked like she was wearing an oversized motorcycle helmet and her face was strangely small and with tiny features. She looked so odd and almost freakish.

I used to perm and layer my hair in order to get the utmost height when I was in my teens and my twenties, as it was the style then too. Nowadays, I like to admire the "big hair" on the younger women, I think it looks pretty when not overdone.

I don't poof up my hair, my face is long enough as it is *giggle*

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I think that if you don't have a square face, your face just gets too long, and you end up looking like the lovechild of a Conehead, a horse and Elvis.

But maybe that's just me
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Type
    1b/M/ii

It looks cute! (I don't mind being a cute alien. ) I do it on days when my hair is a little greasy, I feel it looks nicer on me than having all my hair slicked back.

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Miss Murphy, you're a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I keep seeing threads where folks ask how to get more volume on top of their heads. There are lots of videos with people with hair-rat based poufs on top or toward the back, and everywhere I go I see people with the front top portion of their hair (maybe 3" wide) poofed up and pinned in place.

Does anyone else think this looks strange? I feel like it makes the head look oddly proportioned and a bit alien, but maybe I'm missing something.

I posted the question 'how to get height on top' this morning.

Anyways, I wasn't talking about freakish height, but merely, some volume as long hair pulls down and when you have thin hair like I do, it makes the hair slick against the face. This is okay, but I think its pretty to have some volume around the face. I think this is what short haircuts achieve, however, if one doesn't want to cut their hair, then an alternative must be sought.

No, I don't have "hair rat based poufs" as you put it. Nor do I want one. However, some volume is nice in my opinion. That is why I like the braids that go over the top of the head. Sort of like a crown, pretty in my opinion. I like medieval braided hairstyles too.

Length
    16ASL/26BSL/36WST
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I like it on me , cause I have a short forehead, and it takes attention away from my big nose.I dont do mine huge though. And its fast and easy to look a bit more polished without having to heat style.

At my husbands Christmas party I had a small pouf with my hair down wavy.looked cute.But this girl at his office had a huge one and her face is pretty but thin and horsey, and she did look weird, some of the guys at the party were telling her she looked like the aliens on the old show "Alien Nation". I would have felt bad for her, had she not been such a snotty lil tramp that night trying to freak everyones husbands on the dance floor, and she kept bumping into me, I almost knocked her on her ass.

Heres a picture of me trying hairstyles out for my wedding, I did end up doing a pouf similar to this...
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/DSC02549.jpg

heres what it looked like at the wedding when I took more time on it.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...tatueclose.jpg
    Last edited by Alaskanheart; April 18th, 2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: wanted to add a link

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I don't like volume (esepecially that ginormous stuff some celebs/others wear), even the wavy bit when I take down updo's that have been in all day I dislike. I prefer the 'slick against the face', I guess.

There are updo's that work and don't work for each preference, but that's just what it is: a preference.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    22/29/Term
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

My hair is very thin and if its not freshly washed it is too slick and thin and severe. I like a little poof or sometimes I do a little twist on either side of the part to add volume in front.

I guess it depends on your face and personal preferance.
    Last edited by Suldrun; April 18th, 2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: fixed some bad typing
    “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” -Jack Handy