Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BAD reaction to hair dye need advice please on colouring / henna options etc

Default BAD reaction to hair dye need advice please on colouring / henna options etc

Hi there i know this is the best place to ask for advice as all you hair gurus know a lot about this kind of thing.

I am having a real bad reaction to hair dye ppd red scalp swollen eye you get the picture

question - can I use henna on my hair from now on to do my roots when they start to come in? can you advise?? my hair is naturally a darkish blonde but dyed a dark reddish brown. I am not ready to go grey!! panic!

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: BAD reaction to hair dye need advice please on colouring / henna options etc

First off, have you seen a doctor about your reaction? If not, go, NOW!!!

PPD causes cross sensitivity and all sorts of other fun things.

Secondly, once your scalp heals, YES you can use henna, but patch test first and make 100% SURE you have real, pure henna. Some things sold as "henna" are not and may contain PPD or other nasty things.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: BAD reaction to hair dye need advice please on colouring / henna options etc

Quote Originally Posted by templeofvenus View Post
    Hi there i know this is the best place to ask for advice as all you hair gurus know a lot about this kind of thing.

I am having a real bad reaction to hair dye ppd red scalp swollen eye you get the picture

question - can I use henna on my hair from now on to do my roots when they start to come in? can you advise?? my hair is naturally a darkish blonde but dyed a dark reddish brown. I am not ready to go grey!! panic!
    If the culprit is definitely PPD (ie. you have been diagnosed) there are many PPD free products in the UK. Be sure to do a patch test as per the box instructions before every use.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I don't want to scare you but reactions to hair dye can be life threatening if they are repeated. People can use dye for years and suddenly develop a reaction or it can occur with first use. Bring it up to you doctor and check any dye, natural or otherwise, on your wrist or any other sensitive skin area prior to putting it on your head. I use hair dye and henna myself but I watch for symptoms of allergies or worse, like Steven Johnson's Syndrome or TENS (only type those into a google image search if you have a strong stomach)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    First off, have you seen a doctor about your reaction? If not, go, NOW!!!

PPD causes cross sensitivity and all sorts of other fun things.

Secondly, once your scalp heals, YES you can use henna, but patch test first and make 100% SURE you have real, pure henna. Some things sold as "henna" are not and may contain PPD or other nasty things.
    thanks for replying so quick all of you I have been to casualty department have anti inflammatories, antihistamines and steroid cream to use - fun yeh! lol i am now terrified to use anything chemical again this is nasty!!! right eye now swelling and back to doctors tomorrow

can anyone advise where to get the proper henna for doing hair dark brown in the uk??? I need help here on what to do I have never use anything except chemical dye!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by templeofvenus View Post
    thanks for replying so quick all of you I have been to casualty department have anti inflammatories, antihistamines and steroid cream to use - fun yeh! lol i am now terrified to use anything chemical again this is nasty!!! right eye now swelling and back to doctors tomorrow

can anyone advise where to get the proper henna for doing hair dark brown in the uk??? I need help here on what to do I have never use anything except chemical dye!
    Yey for the NHS tho, it's times like these that reminds me how lucky we are to have it.

Henna is not dark brown, it's orange-red and will often come out bright orange on any white hairs. If you do dark brown you will either be using a chemical product containing henna as Kaelee mentioned or henna plus other herbal dyes. No herb or natural extract is safe, they are composed of chemicals and allergic reactions are not uncommon, there are many poisons, allergens, irritants and toxins found in nature. I believe pure body art quality henna is less high risk than some other herbal dyes.

Are you looking after your skin barrier now - no sulphate or other anionic shampoos, no alkaline soaps? Supe gentle shampoos at the right pH for skin and hair (4.5 to 5.5) will five your skin barrier the best chance of repair before you return to any sort of dying. Have you considered a high pigment semi permanent dye? These are basically colour molecules in a conditioner base: no PPD, peroxide, ammonia or other alkaline agents.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyGhost View Post
    I don't want to scare you but reactions to hair dye can be life threatening if they are repeated. People can use dye for years and suddenly develop a reaction or it can occur with first use. Bring it up to you doctor and check any dye, natural or otherwise, on your wrist or any other sensitive skin area prior to putting it on your head. I use hair dye and henna myself but I watch for symptoms of allergies or worse, like Steven Johnson's Syndrome or TENS (only type those into a google image search if you have a strong stomach)
    Steven Johnson's syndrome... oh my... very disturbing pictures but good to know!
    Hand made crystal jewelry and art: https://spellofhexu.com/
    SL - SL - SL - SL - APL - BSL - WL - HIP?

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have lots of allergies, but henna isn't one of them. You need to quit that hair dye. You can get BAQ henna from hennasooq.com or menhandi.com. Henna is red-orange, and will be transluscent over your existing haircolor. Dark colored hair won't show much difference, but your grays will be quite red. (Member Nae has dark hennaed hair with a few gray strands. She's sporting some magnificent hairstyles in this thread.) Feel free to PM me if you want to henna, but be warned that it is permanent. Once it's in, you'll have to grow it out and cut it off to get rid of it. It won't fade, and you can't bleach it lighter. You can dye over it darker, but it will still flare red in the sun.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMarx View Post
    Steven Johnson's syndrome... oh my... very disturbing pictures but good to know!
    That was the topic I was assigned in my Pathology class. The real cause is mostly unknown but it usually follows previous reactions to drugs or artificial chemicals or drugs applied topically, like hair dye.

Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

I just want to say that I hope you feel better soon and find a safe solution to for your hair.