Thread: Question for those who lather up shampoo twice or more

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Question for those who lather up shampoo twice or more

I am one of those people who likes to massage scalp / lather up shampoo, then rinse, then do it again with a smaller amount of shampoo. What I often do is use a harsher (sulphate) shampoo diluted with water on the first stage (just to remove dirt) and then apply a much gentler, higher-quality or medicinal shampoo at the second stage. Then I proceed to condition.
    I have a picky scalp, so I like gentle shampoos, but I only shampoo once a week, so I need something strong to remove the buildup on the scalp, too.

Has anybody else done this and, if so, do you prefer this method to using the same shampoo twice or more?
    Are there any risks in using more than one type of shampoo like this?

Thank you!

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Question for those who lather up shampoo twice or more

I am using two different shampoos to wash my hair at the moment. I use a protein heavy shampoo for my first and second shampoo that leaves my hair squeaky clean and keeps my dye damaged ends in top condition. Then I use a gentle low PH shampoo for my third shampoo that leaves a smoother finish on my hair. They seem to work well together & this way I am not over-loading on protein which makes my hair feel crunchy sometimes. We have hard water here and the lower PH shampoo seems to help combat this. I then condition before my final rinse. There is no detrimental effect on my hair from this, it loves it .

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Great! Thanks a lot, Arien! I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.
    I absolutely agree on the point about low-ph shampoos. I absolutely need them. The problem is that I find more acidic shampoos not cleansing enough on scalp, so I end up either scritching away like mad in the shower or just starting with a more alkaline shampoo and then going for the more acidic shampoo.

Some people say that conditioner should fix the ph to more acidic levels after the shampoo, but then it works only on hair (from ears down), not on my scalp, which really dislikes most conditioners.

I've also tried ACV rinse after shampooing, but it just doesn't feel the same (or maybe I keep getting the proportions wrong).

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Great! Thanks a lot, Arien! I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.
    I absolutely agree on the point about low-ph shampoos. I absolutely need them. The problem is that I find more acidic shampoos not cleansing enough on scalp, so I end up either scritching away like mad in the shower or just starting with a more alkaline shampoo and then going for the more acidic shampoo.

Some people say that conditioner should fix the ph to more acidic levels after the shampoo, but then it works only on hair (from ears down), not on my scalp, which really dislikes most conditioners.

I've also tried ACV rinse after shampooing, but it just doesn't feel the same (or maybe I keep getting the proportions wrong).
    No def not! I'm sure there must be plenty of people who use this technique!

Yes that's exactly it! . If I use my lower PH shampoo, I have to shampoo and shampoo and shampoo and shampoo so on! If I have used an overnight oil treatment as well I don't stand a chance lol. Just doesn't get my hair squeaky clean like my other shampoo does, but then the other shampoo doesn't leave my hair as smooth as the lower PH one (of course I am always fighting a battle with our water, when we move, we need to move somewhere with softer water! It will def save on shampoo costs! )

I've have tried an ACV rinse several times now but I don't get on with it. At first i thought it was working, but then I realised it leaves my hair more lank feeling rather than smooth and both myself and my husband don't like the smell, however much I dilute it & whatever essential oils I use with it. We must have very sensitive noses or something.. Anyways it didn't work for me .

I think my conditioner helps to some extent with the PH, but it's not 100%, which is why I like my final shampoo to be with a lower PH one .
    Last edited by Arien; August 10th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I end up shampooing twice also because I put castor and coconut oil as pre-poo. I use the same sls free shampoo.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb