Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is conditioner?

Default How important is conditioner?

I havent tried this yet - and if it's a disaster I'll be running straight back to the bathroom - but I was thinking of trying pre-oiling followed by shampoo but no conditioner. Does anyone else do this?

I've noticed that when I'm washing my hair, I lose a very few hairs during shampoo/rinse, and then a load during conditioning. Probably it's just that the loosened hairs get untangled at that stage, but it's started me thinking about the time Before Conditioner was invented! Photos and films of people in the sixties and early seventies seem to always show folks with tons of voluminous hair! I certainly had a load of hair myself as a child, when my hair was just shampooed once a week with nothing else - my hair got thinner when I was a teenager, which is when I started using conditioner.

I know there are lots of other reasons why hair (mine and general) might have seemed thicker back then - less additives in food, less hormones in the food chain, more use of backcombing and hairspray and setting lotion! Maybe I will be horrified by the sight of my hair without conditioner! But how did people keep their hair healthy before conditioner?! I'd love to hear other people's thoughts/experiences/knowledge about this

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How important is conditioner?

There's a method based around this idea. I believe it involves adding coconut oil to the shampoo. Your process would basically condition the hair in the same order as if you did it in the shower with traditional methods, just with a very different timeline. Depending on what you want from your conditioner, I see no reason it couldn't work! How long are you letting the oil sit before washing?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Every time I've done a heavy pre-shampoo oiling followed by shampoo and no conditioner, I was pleasantly surprised with the look of my hair - more bounce and shine, more volume but without the frizz.
    The only problem is my hair is extremely tangly even with conditioner. However, very few conditioners give any noticeable slip/detangling properties, so I often omit them and use oils instead.

I think oiling hair a few hours before shampooing is superior to oil added to shampoo (a.k.a. oil shampoo), because oil doesn't sink into your hair immediately, it really takes time. Even water takes about 15 minutes to saturate your hair strands to the maximum.
    If you oil your hair the night before you wash, you'll often see the oil get absorbed by the morning, which means it won't wash out as easily and will protect hair keratin.

Quote Originally Posted by Perididdle View Post
    There's a method based around this idea. I believe it involves adding coconut oil to the shampoo. Your process would basically condition the hair in the same order as if you did it in the shower with traditional methods, just with a very different timeline. Depending on what you want from your conditioner, I see no reason it couldn't work! How long are you letting the oil sit before washing?
    Well, I have left oil (wheatgerm) on overnight, and I've left it on for 20-45 mins. I cant remember how much difference the overnight was (that was a while ago) but I get good results from the shorter time - however, so far I've always conditioned afterwards. That was putting the oil on dry hair; Ive also shampooed once, put coconut oil on for 30-60 minutes and then shampooed out followed by conditioner - that gave ok results but weighed my hair down a bit more. I'vew heard of the adding oil to shampoo thing - my hair's fine-ish and thinnish though, and straighter than I'd like it to be, so I'm not sure how that would work out for me - I'm assuming more oil gets left on the hair that way?

Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Every time I've done a heavy pre-shampoo oiling followed by shampoo and no conditioner, I was pleasantly surprised with the look of my hair - more bounce and shine, more volume but without the frizz.
    The only problem is my hair is extremely tangly even with conditioner. However, very few conditioners give any noticeable slip/detangling properties, so I often omit them and use oils instead.

I think oiling hair a few hours before shampooing is superior to oil added to shampoo (a.k.a. oil shampoo), because oil doesn't sink into your hair immediately, it really takes time. Even water takes about 15 minutes to saturate your hair strands to the maximum.
    If you oil your hair the night before you wash, you'll often see the oil get absorbed by the morning, which means it won't wash out as easily and will protect hair keratin.

Yay that's very encouraging! Volume, bounce and shine are what I need! (as well as hopefully more thickness in the long term!) I have noticed my hair's a lot more shiny after a pre-wash oiling.
    Thanks for replying

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

A lot of people don't use conditionner. I personnaly don't anymore. I use only shampoo on the roots only, heavy oiling only once a month and a rinse. You could try light pre-oiling, shampoo and then a rinse of your choice to start.

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I’m trying to switch to catnip rinse instead of a conditioner. There is thread here about it (there are a lot of details to it). It said that it would take a couple of months to be able to stop using conditioner.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub - Proverb

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

I always do a pre-shampoo oiling. Whenever I attempt to go without a conditioner, my hair texture resembles cotton candy- way too light and tangle prone.

mother of microtrims :P Emichiee's Avatar
    Length
    20/TBL37/CL41
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I don't use conditioner most times! I wash with shampoo and thats it. My hair is not always pre-oiled either, I just really go by how my hair feels.
    It certainly has not caused me any more splits, I have less splits than a year ago (due to bettering health mostly though).
    Conditioner can make my ends really stringy and gunky so I try not to overdo it.

And yes, your thinning is most likely due to other factors. Unless you have been using a chemical and silicone laden conditioner and applied it directly to your scalp! There have been studies that conditioner to the scalp can cause hair thinning due to a process called protein denaturing.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

The ends of my hair have a tendency of getting really dry, so I always use conditioner. Even when I'm washing out oil I still use conditioner. I just think it makes my hair look and feel nicer. If I don't use conditioner, it's like washing your clothes without softener. :P
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone