Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Virgin Coconut Oil. What Next?

Default Finally Bought Virgin Coconut Oil. What Next?

I read some advice here on how to use it, but I want to get different opinions so I can try them and see whats best.

That said, I got some specific questions...

1. When do you use it? On days you wash/co-wash your hair? Or do you use it on "off days" too?

2. Leave on or wash them after some time?

3. Is it purely to help moisturize your hair or some of you use it as a styling agent? Like gel,etc?

4. MANY THANKS!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Finally Bought Virgin Coconut Oil. What Next?

I just stroke a tiny amount through my hair while it is damp after it has been washed, and that 's it. Or I will do a heavier oiling before dying my hair to protect it. You can also do a heavy oiling and sleep with it if you like before washing out the oil the next day - to get the oil out, cover your hair with conditioner for about an hour, then wash /condition etc as normal and the oil will come out and your hair will be soft and shiny. Hope this helps, Christmasfnatic. Enjoy your coconut oil.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I use it as pre-poo. I cover my hair and scalp with it, cover with a shower cap, put my heating cap for 30 min or so, then wash!

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I use it as a pre-poo overnight treatment, end sealer when I wash my hair, and randomly on off days on top of some sort of moisture-product. I only use it as a styler for braids, to make them sleek. But since you haven't tried it out before, I would start with a very tiny amount (less than a pea-sized dollop) on dry hair, so that you can get a feel for it, and see how it goes from there.
    "I stopped cutting it when my true love went off to the Crusades and I vowed not to cut it or talk about it until they get back."
    Quote from Kat's mother, one that deserves to be used over and over!

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I like it on my ends if they are feeling dry, love it as a prewash oil, I even use it as lotion, in chapstick, in the kitchen, pretty nuch everywhere. It's taking over!
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

I use mine either as a pre-wash treatment (for this, I saturate my dry hair with the coconut oil, leave it on overnight then CWC it out the next day) or in a deep treatment (mixed with other oils, conditioners etc and apply on damp hair, leave for a couple hours, then CWC out)

Have fun!

I use it as a pre-wash treatment. I put it on dry hair and leave it from a few hours to overnight. Then I CWC it out. I also put a bit on wet hair after I wash it. And if at any point between washes my hair feels dry I just put a bit!

Thanks! By the way, do you wet your hair first before applying or not?

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I don't wet my hair before applying it. I don't think I would be able to tell if I got it everywhere if it were wet. I have put a tiny amount in damp hair after I got out of the shower though. And I mean tiny...Like just a drop or two to help smooth down my frizz.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
    I use it as pre-poo. I cover my hair and scalp with it, cover with a shower cap, put my heating cap for 30 min or so, then wash!
    I just slathered some cheapie conditioner on dry hair, added a generous amount of coconut oil to my ends, then more conditioner. I added a plastic cap and then a heat cap. I'll surf on the computer for a while, and then CO it all out later.