Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice from Curlies/Wavies: Should I Buy A Hair Brush?

Length
    Chin/BSL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Default Need Advice from Curlies/Wavies: Should I Buy A Hair Brush?

Specifically a wooden hair brush, since plastic hair brushes pulls my hair out.

I've been using combs for most of my life, lately I've been using a seamless wooden comb and I love it - pulls out my hair much less than my wide-toothed plastic comb (possibly because of the way it's shaped). However, it doesn't seem to eliminate my frizz as much as I'd like to, it's great for getting rid of small tangles, but not so much on smoothing out my hair.

So I wonder if a hair brush would help smoothing out my hair more? I know frizz goes way beyond a good hair comb/brush, but I just want something to keep them under-control - no chunks of strands poking out here and there.

Oh and also, would a purse-sized brush be good enough? Because I've never liked the idea of combing/brushing big chunks of my hair, it makes me nervous. I always comb mine in small sections. Help is really appreciated!

Edited Note: I can't use boar bristles for personal faith reasons.
    Last edited by Natalina; July 26th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.

Length
    19"/28"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Default Re: Need Advice from Curlies/Wavies: Should I Buy A Hair Brush?

I know what you mean, the combs don't smooth out hair the way brushes do. I use a boars bristle brush to brush my hair before I wash it. I haven't noticed any increased loss because of it. They make small purse-sized ones, too. I use a seamless wide-toothed Kent comb when styling but when my bare patches are showing I use a smaller boars bristle to try to smooth them over the bare area.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Dunno, they never work for me but I'm a 3c.
    I still use one sometimes to smooth the edges of updoes, but I'm stopping even that and just smoothing on some aloe vera since it creates frizz even there. Brushing my hair makes me look like Elsa Lancaster in the bride of Frankenstein. Doesn't matter if they are natural boar bristle, wood quill, bamboo, wide spaced, whatever, it just doesn't work (except a denman brush when my hair is full of conditioner, which some do to encourage curls. I did it for a few months and then realized that that too was pointless, my curls don't need encouraging, theyre just there. the denman was doing literally nothing, I stopped it and my hair looks just the same).

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

It depends - just how curly/wavy is your hair?

If you're in the 2a-2b range, it might make pretty smooth waves. 2c and beyond sends you into the danger zone. Anything in the 3 range, and the brush becomes a boomstick. Here's the old "Curlies brush your hair" thread - a lot of the pictures don't work anymore, but there are enough there for you to get the idea.

However, if you wear your hair straight frequently, it might be handy to have a brush around. I'm naturally 2c-3a and well acquainted with the "boom!" effect, but I usually wear my hair straightened (heat-free of course) and occasionally use a boar bristle brush to smooth things out and distribute oil more evenly through the length.

Collarbone --> Hip --> ??

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Brushing really depends on how much curl you have. Anything in the 3s or 4s, I'd say you don't want to brush, except may occasionally before a wash as a scalp massage or using a Denman in the shower. I think most 2s can get away with brushing, especially if they don't mind losing a bit of the wave in exchange for smoothness. Brushing will help with smoothness, but again, if you have much curl brushing will create more frizz. A purse-sized brush would be fine if that's what you want.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

@Anne10, PraiseCheeses - Thanks for your advices! But I can't use boar bristles for personal faith reasons, I probably should have put that on my post, sorry. Would something such as Mini Bamboo Hair Brush from Body Shop be a good enough substitute?

@Chen Bao Jun, jeanniet - I'm in the 2b/2c range so I guess my hair would probably like it then. Thanks for your help!

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have a wooden pin hair brush that I use on my 2a hair, and I love it. It's also a cushion pin brush, so it's awesome for head massages. I think I got it at whole foods, but I believe Body Shop has one too, not sure. Between that, my bamboo wide-tooth comb, and my tangle teezer, my hair stays pretty well-behaved. Also, I find that the wooden brush helps to distribute the oils I've put on my ends a little more evenly.
    Lady Vrindi of the Shining Sea of Waves of the order of the Long Haired Knights!
    www.theravenandthelotus.com

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I use a wide toothed comb a day after wash day. Any combing or brushing on wash day equals frizz. If I have to put it up on wash day then I put it up straight away. Any waiting till dry then combing on wash day = white girl pouf. I am a 2c/3a so wavy/curly. I also stretch washes a lot which has helped a lot. I love my wood comb and I also finger comb. I actually tossed out my brush after joining this site.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SerinaDaith View Post
    I use a wide toothed comb a day after wash day. Any combing or brushing on wash day equals frizz. If I have to put it up on wash day then I put it up straight away. Any waiting till dry then combing on wash day = white girl pouf. I am a 2c/3a so wavy/curly. I also stretch washes a lot which has helped a lot. I love my wood comb and I also finger comb. I actually tossed out my brush after joining this site.
    SerinaDaith, I wouldn't necessarily agree about the part I bolded. When I wash my hair, after it dries, I find I have to brush it to get the pouf and will often need to comb my hair after it is dry to get it to have a bit more volume. The only situation when I didn't have to use brush or comb to give my hair more volume after washing was in my teens when I only used shampoo on my hair (didn't follow up shampoo with conditioner).

Length
    19"/28"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Natalina View Post
    @Anne10, PraiseCheeses - Thanks for your advices! But I can't use boar bristles for personal faith reasons, I probably should have put that on my post, sorry. Would something such as Mini Bamboo Hair Brush from Body Shop be a good enough substitute?
    That one looks nice, Natalina. I would try that. This might be kinda "out there" but if you can't find a brush you like in any of the stores for people, try pet stores. Look for brushes that are used for grooming dogs or horses. You might find a good smoothing brush in a brush used for finishing horse coats, for example (some of those brushes are natural and some are synthetic so check before you buy). Kinda weird but it would be worth a try.