Thread: Dry Hair in Winter

Length
    bsl/Tlb/Clss
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default Dry Hair in Winter

I know this question might sound out of place but I'm currently in Australia and its winter here. I've noticed that my hair has become a lot drier. I do oil but it seems to not do as much for my hair in winter as in other seasons. I have chemically treated hair from becoming a redhead but this is a problem I've encountered even with virgin hair. Can anyone share some tips and tricks to help keep hair more moisturized during winter?

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Dry Hair in Winter

I judge winter dryness by how much static I notice. I wash (CWC) once weekly and deep condition when I do. Diluted shampoo, non- sulfate. I'm quite the product junkie. I use oils, leave ins, and my hair loves cones. So I almost never have static and very few splits. I also never use heat appliances on my hair. It is only the last 3 months since I stopped using chemical dyes and am now using henndigo.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Silicones always made my hair worse in Winter. (I swear they make it so moisture cant get in, on my hair anyways)

I love the hell out of these in winter....http://www.acureorganics.com/Morocca...oner-p/028.htm Esp the conditioner.

No heat, and some avocado oil on my ends before my hair is dry.

But the number one thing I did to make my hair feel like real, healthy hair.... stopped coloring it. (I used to be red, too. ) Haven't colored my hair in over a year and a half or used heat on it and baby it like crazy, Winter doesn't even matter anymore, my hair is in awesome condition.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Things that help me in winter:
    - stretching washes
    - heavier conditioners and more leave-ins
    - oiling on wet/damp hair
    - humidifiers at home (winter air is too dry for me)

The land of Vikings, Northen light and Pippi Longstocking.

I understand you Soraine. As a Swede, I am all to aware of the bad effect cold winter weather has on hair. I actually had my hair turn to icicles one time when I was out skiing. I was so afraid that it would break before defrosting. What helps me during the winters are CO washing, using the heaviest conditioners and hair treatments I can find, oiling, and to try to stay away from glycerin.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I use mineral oil and deep condition mine.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    26"/40"/44"
    Type
    1c/M/ii

After showering, I usually put some leave-in conditioner on the ends (bottom 3" or so), and then some oil (I use argan on the last 6" or so). I think this is protective of the ends no matter what the season, but I use it particularly when weather, products or activities demand a little extra pampering for the hair.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Consider your dew points/ humidity not just temperature when you choose ingredients and products. Beneficial ingredients for colour treated hair include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol, all can help your hair achieve the right moisture level.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    bsl/Tlb/Clss
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Thanks for the tips guys!

I think I found the problem. I've been using silicones ever since I dyed and last night I washed with a silicone free product. To my surprise my hair felt so much better. Thanks gonzobird for pointing that out!