Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *SCREAMS* I hate breakage!!!!!

Default *SCREAMS* I hate breakage!!!!!

Oh my gosh, I have been growing my hair out for so long and trimming some (about 2 x year) to get rid of the super fried ends. I'm hoping to achieve a completely naturla head of long, lustrous hair. Only...once my hair gets to the tips of my shoulderblades, the ends turn crunchy and break off if I do anything to my hair. So I've taken to washing at night and not running a brush through it. CWC'ing and pulling my hair back most days once it's dry.
    Still...those derned brittle ends!!!

Someone please commiserate with me. I just want healthy ends, par excellence so I can grow a mane!

Length
    15/26/31
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: *SCREAMS* I hate breakage!!!!!

well, I'm a relatively newcomer to the LHC myself but I learned something here that might help you too. I had dry frizzly ends myself until I discovered that some of the ladies here wash there hair in conditioner, then before rinsing it out they apply a little shampoo to the scalp (avoiding deliberately shampooing the ends) and then rinsing out the conditioner/shampoo and then re-apply the conditioner and rinse again. I follow this with about a dime size of Camellia oil on my palms and put it on the wet ends of my hair. This has absolutely revolutionized my ends.. Give it a try.. don't forget.. leave the conditioner in when you shampoo. Good luck ! Blessings..

Length
    23/32/??
    Type
    2a/F/ii

@Missie: What you are describing is the CWC method, ScrimHazard is already using... But sure, this helps in general.

My advice for ScrimHazard: Relax! Your hair will grow with frizzy ends, too, and sooner or later, it will be longer than shoulder length and from this on, it will be a lot better! Wearing updos will help, they keep the ends out of the way. Maybe you can put some oil in the ends to protect them even more.

Good luck!

Great advice you already got, you might also want to ditch the brush and switch to a wide toothed comb, or fingercomb.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I think she already said she doesn't use a brush...

Unless she just meant she doesn't use one when it's wet.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Are your ends virgin or growing out hair with dye or old styling damage? Do you heatstyle a lot?
    Revirgised.....The henna is gone and I'm starting over!
    Lady Nótt of the Depthless Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I have shoulder lenght hair ,and have simmilar problem with dry ends.What I ve discovered is that putting some oil on wet ends helps A LOT !

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I use jojoba on my ends everyday and that seems to help a lot.

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Shoulder length is a super damaging length because the ends are constantly brushing against the shoulders. I know that you said that you are pulling it back. Are you pulling it back into a ponytail or an updo? If it is a pony I recommend some sticks and putting it up for the next few months until it gets closer to APL.

Also, the Fox's shea butter has saved my ends. When oil didn't help with the crunchies, this did.
    Just keep growing....

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It will take patience and you have gotten some great advice here but growing out hair with dry ends and breakage is possible.

Catnip tea worked for me but I still get white dots - much less than I used to though.

I have some sections of hair that are still recovering from past breakage but even with that, my hair no longer tapers at the ends the way it used to and it has grown longer and thicker because the breakage is now minimal.

It will take a while for you to find your best options but do not give up.