Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun In VS Go Blonder

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Sun In VS Go Blonder

I know neither will be good for hair and will be causing some damage but which is least damaging? I've heard go blonder by john freida has make people hair fall out but I've heard Sun in makes peoples hair orange. Also, can cassia be put on top if either is applied? I heard of people getting their hair colored after and it sizzles but I'm not sure cassia will be the same. Anyone have experience with this? I want to use this in a way of replacing going to the salon and getting my hair highlighted. I thought this would be a less damaging alternative.
    BS/WL/Elbow/Hip/TailBone/Classic/Fingertip

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Sun In VS Go Blonder

Hair goes orange when it's lightened, no matter what you use. The difference is how MUCH lightening you get.

If you have brown hair, when you lighten it it goes orange before it goes yellow-blonde. A weaker lightener, like Sun-In, might not be strong enough to lift past the orange into the lighter shades.

So, really, it depends on how much lightening you need. If you're already lighter, you might be able to get away with Sun-In or similar. If it's darker, you'll want to talk to a professional.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

You forgot one lemon juice and water. Spray it in and go outside the sun lightens your hair.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

If your profile pic is correct in color, your hair is much too dark to use either without getting a brassy orange first--it might not be able to get lighter than it from the stuff too.

I used both in the past, I found the old john frieda go lighter was great and that the new one sucks--it's much weaker now. The old stuff did not have a good shelf life. Sun in works too but will not get you as light.
    For less damage I think bleaching with coconut oil over your hair for protection might be best.

The other stuff is still bleaching it too and needs several applications and heat, so just getting it done professionally would probably prevent some damage.

I got stuck at a light blonde with the sun in and it wouldn't lighten further, with the old john frieda go blonder applied once on the sun in lightened hair I got to platinum.

ETA: My siggy is my color now but thats not from any sort of sun-in, that's henna.
    Last edited by cheetahfast; July 9th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

jacqueline101: I tried this when I was life guarding. I would put it on and let my hair soak in the sun for 10 hrs. It didn't really do anything.

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

The pic I have in my profile is pretty old. I tried to put some current pictures in my pic album but for some reason only 5 old pictures went through. Looking at the roots you can sort of get an idea of my natural color. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...?albumid=10026

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Hair goes orange when it's lightened, no matter what you use. The difference is how MUCH lightening you get.

If you have brown hair, when you lighten it it goes orange before it goes yellow-blonde. A weaker lightener, like Sun-In, might not be strong enough to lift past the orange into the lighter shades.

So, really, it depends on how much lightening you need. If you're already lighter, you might be able to get away with Sun-In or similar. If it's darker, you'll want to talk to a professional.
    DO you have any idea what cassia on top might do to it? I know always do a strand test but I figured I'd ask since you are the henna expert.

Length
    awl/tb/cl
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

When Sun-In first came out, another product called Lemon Go Lightly came out too. It took my lightest golden brown, as a teen, white blonde. I was a sun worshipper, sure that played into it too.

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Is that the same as Hair Lightener Lemon? http://www.drugstore.com/sun-in-hair...3?catid=183441

Length
    pixie/Shldr/APL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

It looks like you have almost the same hair color as me, though a little warmer in tone. I just tried to lighten my hair last month. I didn't use either of those products, but since peroxide is the main ingredient in Sun-In and I found a few tutorials saying you could lighten your hair with peroxide, I tried it. It didn't work. I tried peroxide with baking soda wrapped in foil, peroxide with baking soda wrapped in saran wrap, straight peroxide, peroxide with lemon juice, drying with a hair dryer, letting it dry in the sun, and waiting five or six hours in full sun with it on.

I did all this within the span of a few days. It didn't make a difference. If I put my ends right next to my roots, they are maybe 1-2 shades lighter. Seriously, it doesn't even look like I did anything. It did, however, bring out all sorts of red undertones which look horrible next to my cool skin. I guess I should be happy my hair isn't orange or damaged, but geez!

None of the other DIY lightening treatments have ever worked for me. Go ahead and try it if you feel like it, but don't be disappointed if the results aren't very dramatic. Good luck with whatever you use!
    Last edited by 2peasinapod; July 10th, 2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    26/8/1916 - 21/09/2010