Thread: What are ways to add protein?

Default What are ways to add protein?

Hi everybody. I just read Krin's Diagnostic Tips and have determined that my hair needs more protein. The only thing that comes to mind is using an egg mask in my hair or the protein packs you can buy at Sally's. What kinds of things do you use to add protein?

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: What are ways to add protein?

The whole protein molecules in eggs really aren't that great as a protein treatment. You need them (the molecules) to be broken down to be able to penetrate the hair. Look for products that have some kind of "hydrolysed" protein high on the list. Commercial protein products are often called reconstructors, and a good one at Sally's is the Ion line. For a natural protein treatment, you can try 1 Tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce in 1 cup of water. Pour this over your hair after shampooing, and rinse at the end of your shower. Always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment.

Length
    22/24.3/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I found a shampoo and conditioner at my dollar store that is called Protein and Balsam. My hair absolutely loves it, it is so soft and silky.

I do think you need to be careful for buildup if you use it though.
    Last edited by Golden21; August 30th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Cool Re: What are ways to add protein?

I work out a lot lot so I eat a lot of protein rich foods like eggs and protein bars or soy protein. If you choose to use eggs on your hair, use the yolks. They're the most protein rich.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

The best way is to do protein treatments, such as protein packs, as daily protein use though beneficial at first, can start to dry out the hair.

Food protein sources usually don't work well as their molecules are too large to penetrate the hair. However, you dont need anything expensive.... a good protein conditioner used as a deep treatment will work. Look for words like "reconstructing" "revitalizing" and "repairing".

If at any time using treatments your hair starts to become strawlike, gritty dry at the ends, limp and velcro like clumping sticking together, step back from the protein and give more moisture.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I put some hask placenta "no rinse instant hair repair treatment" in a mister bottle with water.

I spray it on dry hair and...hope for the best!

Thanks everyone. Flaxen, I did get a protein pack from the Ion line and really liked it.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lind01 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Flaxen, I did get a protein pack from the Ion line and really liked it.
    Oh, good! Thanks for the update.