Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walnut Hull Dye success!! Bleached blonde hair to brown (PICS)

Length
    30.5/34/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Walnut Hull Dye success!! Bleached blonde hair to brown (PICS)

Hello everyone! Iím thrilled to share my walnut hull dye experience!

First things first- here are my before and after photos:

(In the second photo Iím comparing a henndigo experiment to my roots- so just ignore that part.)

Naturally I have ash brown hair, and (stupidly) last year I decided to bleach it to a light blonde- regretted it about a month later after the condition seriously deteriorated, and I started losing heaps of hair every time I went to get my roots done. As a final goodbye to bleach, I had foils done on my roots for two consecutive appointments (about 2 months apart) to make the demarcation line less noticeable.

I started thinking about how to get it close to my natural colour without touching anything that would damage my cuticles any more like ammonia or peroxide (yes, even avoiding dark hair dyes). I did a thousand henndigo and henna/indigo two-step experiments but they always turned out too red or too grey/green, I researched Elumen but couldnít afford it and got too impatient to go through another round of experimentation. I also read that Elumen fades and that walnut hull dye doesnít, so I opted for the latter. I also tried colour-deposit only dyes but they all had red tones that I was trying to avoid.

(Please keep in mind while reading that I had over-bleached hair when I started: not stretchy over-bleached, just dry over-bleached. So you may need to tweak the process to suit your needs.)

Preparing the dye

(1) Buy ďblack walnut hull powderĒ. I got mine off Ebay. 50g of powder is enough for three BSL-Waist length applications.

(2) Boil the powder in tap water for an hour each day for three days (donít forget to add water when it evaporates otherwise it will become a useless crispy powder, and don't close the lid of the pot because it may go alllll overrr thhhe kitchennn. Both of these happened to me; so learn from me). When youíre not boiling it, let it sit in the pot. I just left the liquid in the iron pot under the sink and reapplied whenever I felt like getting messy- until I ran out of the mixture. (I think boiling is also important for killing any potential mold that wants to grow.)

(3) Also, use an iron pot: to get an ashy colour you need to use a Ďmordantí, I donít know the science behind it but basically the dye needs to react with a metal like iron.

Applying the dye
    (1) Get a friend. If you get a friend to help you, you will be a much happier walnut user than I wasÖ Apply like you would hair dye or henna: thoroughly cover the hair. It is just water and powder so it is RUNNY. Donít think you can apply it neatly- it is impossible.

(2) Use heat. The dye will NOT WORK, that is, it will not stain your hair, without heat. I used hot rollers one time, and lay in front of a heater the other time: both were good. You basically need Ďone doseí of heat; not three hours in front of a heater (although you can definitely try this and it may be good but I just donít think it would be bearable). A heat cap would be perfect but I donít have one and couldnít buy one locally (Ebay let me down with a minimum cost of $130Ö).

If using hot rollers: I recommend just wrapping the hair over the rollers (make sure the outer surface is not made of metal) then covering the roller in gladwrap and foil on top of that to keep the heat in. You can also direct a hairdryer at the rollers to keep them warmer for longer.
    If using heat cap/heater: Have lots of gladwrap or a shower cap to wrap around your hair once youíre done applying the dye. I would set up pillows on the ground outside or on a floor thatís not covered in carpet unless youíre in the mood for a renovation.

Disproving myths
    The dye does (partly) rinse out; itís not as super permanent as people say it is.
    It does NOT stain everything it touches. Perhaps the paranoia of the permanency of walnut hull dye relates to fresh hulls and not dry powdered ones.
    Advice
    Donít do a deep treatment for a while after using the dye because it strips it out of your hair.
    Other
    This one is just a semi-warning (ďsemiĒ because I canít be sure this had to do with the walnut): I did feel sick (of the vomit/vertigo sort) when I was using this stuff for two or three days straight in an unventilated bathroom. So if the walnut did cause this then I recommend you boil the walnut hull powder outside or open all the windows in the kitchen, and apply the dye outside or turn on all the ventilation in the bathroom.
    Also, after you rinse it out and condition your hair will have a waxy texture. I havenít (yet) used shampoo straight after an application so Iím not sure what the effect is.

I hope some of you find this helpful! Iím here to answer any questions with DELIGHT
    BSL - WAIST - HIP

Length
    apl/MBL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Walnut Hull Dye success!! Bleached blonde hair to brown (PICS)

It looks great! I was interested in that when i was trying to darken my hair, but never get around. Can you use fresh hulls too ?

Length
    30.5/34/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by morrigan* View Post
    Can you use fresh hulls too ?
    Yeah you can, there is heaps of stuff online about it- you just need to google it. The process is the same though regardless whether you use fresh ones or powder.
    BSL - WAIST - HIP

Length
    apl/MBL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Okay thank you ! I might decide to try that

I just have an idea to throw in (worked well with runny indigo): thicken it up, after the last boiling-cooling down phase, obviously, with xanthan or guar gum. That way you'll get a gel-like consistency. Gelatin, no, it will be drippy.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    apl/MBL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

This would probably work great, i know that gelatin doesn't work because of heat i tried once, but cant remember why.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Your hair looks great.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Wow, that's amazing! Looks so beautiful too.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    20/32/35.5
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Your hair looks really good like that! Congrats on the successful dye

Length
    30.5/34/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    I just have an idea to throw in (worked well with runny indigo): thicken it up, after the last boiling-cooling down phase, obviously, with xanthan or guar gum. That way you'll get a gel-like consistency. Gelatin, no, it will be drippy.
    Oh cool! I will definitely try this and let you know how it goes Thank you!