Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Confess Your Mechanical Damage Sins :)

Length
    ~bsl/class/knee?
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Confess Your Mechanical Damage Sins :)

Oof before (and even a little while after) I started lurking here I would just tear knots out of my hair if I couldn't be bothered to brush them; knots that developed from poor choice of conditioner and wearing it down all the time (not to mention teasing...)
    My brushes were either plastic or metal (or on occasion a fine-tooth comb), and I would just tear through everything from the top down, wet and dry.
    The list goes on, lol. I also used to put elastics in ponytails really sloppily and just tear them out, they would always take a few hairs with them. I owned a pair of sunglasses that would get caught in my hair constantly and I would just tear them out (I only got rid of those in February of last year so those tufts of broken hairs are still growing out).
    As well as heat damage from curling, I had a really awful old iron that caught my hair in a hinge every time and I would just tear it out.
    My thin ends make sense when I think about how poorly I've been treating them, lol. I really try hard to avoid any damage now.
    Classic-Fingertip-Knee?
    World's Most Fragile Hair, for the World's Most Fragile Person

Wearing it loose in bed, always wake up with tangled hair, lol. I used to be a lot worse though - pre. LHC I would often drag my hair into a messy bun, then at the end of the day I’d rip through it with a brush instead of detangling. No wonder my ends are a mess!

Length
    BSL/BSL/Clsc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I think 99% of my splits are probably from mechanical damage I've worn it exclusively loose for a long time... it gets caught under all manners of clothes and bags and it tangles while I sleep, not to mention is subject to my fiddly hands.
    I'm trying to wear braids more often, especially while sleeping, and it already feels a lot better - on 3rd day hair right now and usually it would feel pretty tangly and a little dry at the ends, but I've kept it in a braid with an oiled tassel yesterday and today and it feels very nice.

Length
    24''/28''/32''
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

This thread is making me sad. I love leaving my hair loose, brushing it out a lot, changing hairstyles multiple times a day...basically touching it. :P It just feels so strange that, in order to have longer hair, I have to make it disappear into buns for months and years. I tucked my french braid the other day and of course that's less damaging than keeping it loose, but suddenly it's like I barely have any hair at all! But I still leave my hair loose first two days after a shower as a calculated decision that I rather be happy with my appearance than keep my hair 100% damage-free.

Length
    BSL/BSL/Clsc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Headphones are dangerous! I was wearing some with my hair down just now and it got caught in one of the joints where the ears swivel for easier storage. Tried to carefully extricate hair but lost a couple strands.

Length
    APL/Waist/?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

My biggest sin is propably not taking time brushing it gently enough.

APL --- BSL --- MBL --- Waist --- Hip --> ?

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I'm quite rough with my hair when I wash it. My excuse is that it's covered in conditioner, it shouldn't get damaged but, like, in order to cover it with conditioner I need to "brush" it with my fingers, and sometimes I feel all the pulling and tugging that's happening.

I also brush my hair wet. BUT I do it with a Tangle Teezer, and my hair is never tangled, because I slather it with conditioner so much. I don't feel any damage from it.

Also my favorite claw clip sometimes catches a few hairs into its coil thingy and rips them out if I'm not careful enough, but I hate it and plan to get a new claw clip. Other than that, I'm pretty good with my hair.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Larke View Post
    This thread is making me sad. I love leaving my hair loose, brushing it out a lot, changing hairstyles multiple times a day...basically touching it. :P It just feels so strange that, in order to have longer hair, I have to make it disappear into buns for months and years. I tucked my french braid the other day and of course that's less damaging than keeping it loose, but suddenly it's like I barely have any hair at all! But I still leave my hair loose first two days after a shower as a calculated decision that I rather be happy with my appearance than keep my hair 100% damage-free.
    It's a matter of habit. I'm pretty sure none of the ladies here who wear their hair up all the time feel like they have no hair I got used to wearing my hair up all the time pretty quickly. Now I don't feel pulled together and "ready to take over the world" (figuratively speaking) unless my hair is in a bun.

You can't keep your hair 100% damage-free, even with updos. When your ends are 5-6-7-10 years old, they're gonne be damaged just from all those years of brushing and washing. Updos just help save them and keep them as healthy as possible. When your hair is short to average length, it really doesn't matter, but when you start aiming for longer hair, updos are the only way to go. Of course we all are different and some people start to need updos later than others (some can go until Classic with their hair down all the time), but still.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    Pixie/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I love to free my hair from the clawclip when Iím riding my bike or when Iím outside and the wind is blowing. Especially when Iím on my way home from work. It gives me a fantastic sense of being free!

My hair is close to shoulder, not very long yet. Even so, I did this yesterday and it caused some tangles. I should stop doing this, especially when my hair gets longer. But it feels absolutely amazing after having short hair for so many years.

Length
    Chin/BSL/TBL+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I lean against everything all the time (even now as I'm writing this). I still can't figure out what's best to use to secure the braid ends - even the softest hairties feel damaging. I mostly wear braids at home (it's easier for lying down - I'm often sleepy and have low blood pressure etc), although it would probably be better to wear everything up. I still didn't get myself that satin pillowcase. Sometimes I think I re-do my hair too much during the day. But that's probably it
    Chin | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL | TBL
    Happily growing since 29 June 2017
    Scrunchies are a girl's best friend!