Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wedding hair - what can I do with it?

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Wedding hair - what can I do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    Many congratulations on the impending wedding! Since you said you loved braids, I'm throwing three braids into the mix.

Firstly, the 'mermaid'/'cage'/'rib-cage' braid, which I think looks quite loosey-goosey and romantic! As she says in this video, you could either braid the entire length and pancake it, or you could stop halfway, finish the section you'd braided in an English braid (or other braid of your choice), and have the rest loose and wavy:

Secondly, the 'split-stack'/'stacked pull-through braid', which creates a cool braid-on-top-of-a-braid look. I first came across it in this video - I'm not a big fan of the messy bun she used to finish it, but you could either have your hair loose in a ponytail or continue the braid over your shoulder. I put this in partly because maybe having your hair coming over your shoulder to the front would show off the back of the dress better?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluIG-HtkP4

I think this video of it might actually be a little clearer on the split-stack technique, plus as a dark-haired person myself, it's nice to see that the braid still looks dramatic on dark hair (I feel like sometimes intricate braids can get a bit lost on dark hair):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19X9a7RFbSQ

Thirdly, some variety of fishtail braid. I chose this video because, again, the braid is angled to the side and finishes over your shoulder to show off the back of your dress, though of course you could equally do it going down the back of your head, or stop incorporating new hair when you finish the front section, finish it off in a regular fishtail braid, and have the rest of your hair loose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Tc_eRbuu8

Ooh, you're making me so eager to have long hair again so I can do these braids myself!
    Wow, this is incredibly helpful! :O Thank you!
    - I will cut my hair once I am defeated in battle -
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    buzz/15/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by purple_omelette View Post
    Wow, this is incredibly helpful! :O Thank you!
    No problem! It's good motivation for me to keep growing so I can have this kind of braid fun myself! And actually (without wishing to jinx it!) if me and my boyfriend ever did get married, I'd love my hair to be longer for this very reason!
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019

buzz -- shaggy pixie-ish mess -- bob -- SL -- APL -- MBL -- waist -- hip

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Yes, my dress will have an open back (up to about mid-lower back). Part of the reason I chose an open back was because I knew I'd prefer to have my hair down (and also the balance the high neckline).

Do you have pictures of your wedding hair?
    So then you've already thought about it and decided. Excellent.

I do have pictures somewhere. Or DH does, but I don't have them easily accessible to post here.

My inspiration picture that I showed the lady who did my hair and makeup was this https://secureservercdn.net/160.153....Hairstyles.jpg (I don't know where the original is, I just google image searched for it.)

She worked out something pretty similar on me, since my hair is 2cish, used to be more toward 2c/3a. My hair was around BSL when curly at the time, maybe a smidge longer. It's essentially a messy/curly half up bun with flowers around the bun part. I had white bougainvilleas in my hair.

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    No problem! It's good motivation for me to keep growing so I can have this kind of braid fun myself! And actually (without wishing to jinx it!) if me and my boyfriend ever did get married, I'd love my hair to be longer for this very reason!
    Haha I'm glad you've also been inspired by this exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    So then you've already thought about it and decided. Excellent.

I do have pictures somewhere. Or DH does, but I don't have them easily accessible to post here.

My inspiration picture that I showed the lady who did my hair and makeup was this https://secureservercdn.net/160.153....Hairstyles.jpg (I don't know where the original is, I just google image searched for it.)

She worked out something pretty similar on me, since my hair is 2cish, used to be more toward 2c/3a. My hair was around BSL when curly at the time, maybe a smidge longer. It's essentially a messy/curly half up bun with flowers around the bun part. I had white bougainvilleas in my hair.
    That is gorgeous! I'm definitely saving it, I think it would look fantastic with the dress!
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/CBL+/BSL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Have you considered braiding your hair into very tight braids to curl in a 3c pattern and then wearing it super curly? That's not boring.

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TinaRider View Post
    Have you considered braiding your hair into very tight braids to curl in a 3c pattern and then wearing it super curly? That's not boring.
    I have thought about this, and I actually took my hair out of double dutch braids yesterday and had the most gorgeous curls, but they only lasted about an hour is there any way to make them last longer?

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have thought about this, and I actually took my hair out of double dutch braids yesterday and had the most gorgeous curls, but they only lasted about an hour is there any way to make them last longer?
    I think if you put them in when your hair is wet or damp and take them out when dry it will last longer.
    Gel of some sort while putting them in or maybe just over the braids before taking them out may help them last longer as well, like aloe or glycerin gel.

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I would advice flaxseed gel for that actually. A little fiddly cause it is DIY but I like the hold and cast it creates. You can just scrunch out the crunch after you take out the braids.

Length
    ~20"/55"/55"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

There are a lot of fancy boho-ish braid tutorials on Youtube. Like this one, this one, this one or this one. They involve teasing and product and heat and all those things that aren't really good for your hair but totally worth it for one day. They are also gorgeous.

I would also seriously consider getting someone else to do your hair if you pick one of these. They are the kind of thing you really need to see what you are doing.

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I think if you put them in when your hair is wet or damp and take them out when dry it will last longer.
    Gel of some sort while putting them in or maybe just over the braids before taking them out may help them last longer as well, like aloe or glycerin gel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariekeeee14 View Post
    I would advice flaxseed gel for that actually. A little fiddly cause it is DIY but I like the hold and cast it creates. You can just scrunch out the crunch after you take out the braids.
    Yes, I think I'll try and use some kind of gel and see how that goes. Braiding wet does make some difference, but the curls loosen anyway over a couple of hours, so I'll definitely need to add something for extra hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethil View Post
    There are a lot of fancy boho-ish braid tutorials on Youtube. Like this one, this one, this one or this one. They involve teasing and product and heat and all those things that aren't really good for your hair but totally worth it for one day. They are also gorgeous.

I would also seriously consider getting someone else to do your hair if you pick one of these. They are the kind of thing you really need to see what you are doing.
    Those are beautiful styles! :O I do think I'll need some help with them, I'm in the process of finding a stylist I trust right now (not easy, since I have yet to have a positive haitstyling experience when someone else is styling my hair!)