Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much and how often should I be trimming if I want to grow out my hair?

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default How much and how often should I be trimming if I want to grow out my hair?

My hair is just past collarbone length. I was hoping to get to APL by the end of the year, but as it turns out, I have bunch of damage. I don't want to lose this length I worked so hard for, but I also want to keep it healthy. My plan was to cut 1/4 of an inch off every 2 to 3 months. I last cut my hair in March and I'm going next week to get another trim. After that, I was planning on waiting till about August or September for my next trim.

Will I be losing a lot of length this way? I don't like the way my hair behaves at this length, so I definitely don't want to maintain here. Sometimes I'd rather just maintain at BSL, and then cut all the damage off once I get there. But...I don't think I'll be reaching BSL at least till next Spring or Summer.

Which sounds like the better option? Trimming a bit as I go every few months, or grow to BSL and then trim off all the damage?
    Chin length bob for now. At least it's all pretty much healthy!

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How much and how often should I be trimming if I want to grow out my hair?

What about S&D?
    1a/m/ii, going to tailbone!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default Re: How much and how often should I be trimming if I want to grow out my hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
    What about S&D?
    My hair still feels like it's too short to do that properly; also I have no clue what a split end looks like or if I've ever had one.
    Chin length bob for now. At least it's all pretty much healthy!

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

What are you calling damage then? Dots? Bent ends?
    1a/m/ii, going to tailbone!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    SL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I trim about 0.5-1" off my hair every three months, and it still grows very well and shows new length pretty fast, I'd say. I also clarify and chelate my first wash after each trim.

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I trim a quarter of an inch every 2-3 months, just like you planned... I'd say trims are not necessary unless you are getting split ends.
    I'd say don't trim off more than half your monthly hair growth at once if you're trying to grow.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I trim 1/4-1/2" off as often as I feel I need to (in reality, every 3-4 months). I trim when my ends feel crunchy/tangly, when I get a lot of splits, or when my hemline gets uneven or I get really frustrated with the last 1.5" of layers.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I would trim off 1/4" every 2 mon. Unless you trust your hairstylist to NOT trim off more than you want trimmed, I would learn how to trim it myself. There are lots of how to trim videos on UTube to learn how to do it yourself. Is is not hard to cut it yourself - you are just trimming off the very ends of your hair.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
    What are you calling damage then? Dots? Bent ends?
    This is also a question I have as well...maybe there is an actual solution to the issue at hand besides trimming it.
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    BSL/57/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Some folks get by without trimming at all. Others simply S and D frequently (weekly or so) and grow fairy tale ends. Others microtrim 1/8th to 1/4 inch every 1 to 2 months, taking off half or less of growth. Still others (I am in the camp) do a 1/4 to 1/2 inch trim about every 3 to 4 months.

It depends on your hair. For me, without trimming I could never get beyond mid back due to breakage. At some point the ends got so dry and damaged they would just snap off. The hair forms these pesky white dots that turn into splits o the ends, or, for me, would snap off if further up the hair.

You can experiment with your hair care - stopping damaging habits such as heat, ratty brushes and combs, dye and adding what is good for your hair (seems to be different for everyone) to keep those hairs in great shape.