Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split ends and damp bunning connection

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Split ends and damp bunning connection

Ever since I discovered damp bunning, I've loved it as a way of keeping hair nicely moisturized and saving time instead of spending hours watching my hair dry.

But I just saw this video about ayurvedic hair care, and the guy says that split ends are caused by tying hair right after washing, instead of letting it dry, basically split ends happen from the fragility of hair in the moisture and heat after the wash. I was really surprised! I love damp bunning but I don't want to add more split ends.
    Do you, guys, know anything about this?

Here's the video, by the way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgN4nvMShDw
    He starts talking about split ends only at 10:35.

Length
    BSL/57/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Split ends and damp bunning connection

I would say, do what works for your hair.

Length
    waist/44/44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

If damp bunning damaged my hair, it would have all broken off by now. When I wash my hair and put it up, it stays damp for most of the day. My hair benefits by being wet, rather than damaged by it.
    My routine has changed since starting to use Rogaine regularly to try to regain some thickness. I still cleanse every other day, but I use T/Sal shampoo, followed by my beloved Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. A vinegar rinse and catnip leave in follow.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/31.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I wear my hair damp as well. I guess I can sort of see the guy's point, but what about damp braiding and such?

In my experience, damp bunning or braiding makes my hair super soft and keeps everything smooth and shiny. I think the extra moisture is really good for my hair.

~maborosi~

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I think he probably means lots of tight twisting and manipulation while WET, not to mention damaging methods of tying off hair. Damp hair, gentle twisting, and spin pins should be fine. I've damp bunned for years and my hair is fine. The only splits I get are from tangling and friction (I can tell because of where I get the majority of splits and tangles)

Length
    waist/44/44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Interestingly to me, these days I get few splits on the ends of my hair (which was my main problem when I joined LHC), and more of them a few inches up from the ends. I think the overall condition of my hair is much better, but because it is so long it has gotten fragile enough that any tangles are more likely to end up as split ends where the hairs wrapped around each other. Damp bunning or damp braiding helps prevent those tangles!
    My routine has changed since starting to use Rogaine regularly to try to regain some thickness. I still cleanse every other day, but I use T/Sal shampoo, followed by my beloved Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. A vinegar rinse and catnip leave in follow.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I think if you're rough with your hair when it's wet, you can cause damage, but if you're gentle there's no reason why you can't bun it. I don't bun right after washing, but I often will have to put it up at some point in the drying process (lots of wind here, so it has to be contained if I go out), and I can't say that my hair's been particularly badly damaged at any length it's been. Just handle your hair carefully and it'll be fine.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    I think he probably means lots of tight twisting and manipulation while WET, not to mention damaging methods of tying off hair. Damp hair, gentle twisting, and spin pins should be fine.
    This is my guess, too. I get far more splits from detangling hair that has dried loose than I do from damp braiding or bunning.

Length
    17/42.5/44
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I definitely find I get less splits from damp bunning. I think the thing that actually causes the most damage is detangling when wet, so I always detangle before I shower, and put it gently into a bun with my glass stick (or a braid with a soft scrunchie if I'm staying in). If I don't let it dry slowly over the day in a bun, my hair, especially my ends, gets rather dry, and if it gets dry, it splits and damages easier. Having my ends tucked up under a wet bun makes them one of the longest to dry, and keeps the moisture in better.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.01/waist/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

It's maybe a little strange, but my hair hates damp bunning or any kind of damp handling. Whenever I put it up before it's completely dry, it will end up being dry and brittle when I take it down, instead of being well moisturized. Same with damp oiling. I have figured out, my hair just has to be left alone until it's completely dry. I don't think I'm getting much splits from dry detangling either, but it's generally very easily detangled if I use sufficient amounts of conditioner.