Thread: Cutting Your Own Hair

Length
    9.5/16/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/i/ii

Default Cutting Your Own Hair

So, I know that it is about time to get my hair trimmed.... only, I want to do it myself, but I have never done it before.... I need some help. I've trimmed bangs and such but not cut the length (well, not cut it where it looked good) and I have hair shears to cut with.

Another twist is that I want to be able to add face framing layers and maybe a few layers in the back... is this possible?

Normally I would go to a professional place but all the prices here are outrageous! I refuse to pay a minimum of 45 bucks just to get a trim! I don't want it styled all fancy or anything, just cut the way I want! And most places don't really listen that well....

Have any of you cut and layered your own hair?
    Chin***Shoulder***APL***BSL***Waist***Hip***

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Cutting Your Own Hair

Some here do the Feye self trimming method.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    APL/hip/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've been doing it for at least 6 years. I've done all kinds of layers, but I don't use Feye's method, though that looks good for someone's first time or two. Maybe I'm good at eyeballing; it always comes out even. I'm the daughter of a seamstress, so eyeballing lengths is a talent/skill I've inherited. For face-framing layers I part it how I usually wear it (slightly off-center) and take the sections that fall before the ears and comb forward under my chin. I grab in a flat panel between the index and middle fingers of my left hand. That's how I hold any hair I'm cutting. Once I have it secured so the arrangement of hairs doesn't slip, I can move that hand however I need to in order to cut the ends that hang down. If I'm cutting on a slant, I clamp it slanted and use my fingers as a cutting guide. I guess stylists use a comb to do that. Anyway, maybe later I can post some pics of hand-hold positions. Right now it's oiled and up.

Length
    26.5/32"/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I personally would try looking on YouTube first to see if there are any good tutorials but if not, is there anyone you know that could help you? Sorry I can't be of any more help.
    Lady Zanna, Who Watches Over The Youtube Hair Queens, In The Order Of The Long Haired Knights!

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I once cut my own hair by making a pony tail and sliding down the elastic to the end...then bringing it over my shoulder to cut. I guess some people are successful with it, but it didn't look good when I did it. I had to get my mom to fix it (she once attended beauty school) and it wound up shorter than I wanted after the correction.

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I have been cutting my own hair for a couple pf years now using Feye's method. But lately i was getting concerned that my hair wasn't 100% sure that my hair was even. Recently I bought the CreaClip and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I cut about 3 inches this time with it and it looks great. I would recommend you looking into it if you want to cut your hair yourself since it's pretty versatile and you can do a variety of cuts with it.
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've used both feye's method and the ponytail on the top of the head. Quick and cheap, and I get my boyfriend to check the back.

This thread reminds me - I haven't cut since July of last year, so I might ant to onider doing I soon.