Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major shedding, considering chopping

Unhappy Major shedding, considering chopping

Lately I've been having some major shedding issues, and it's been depressing the hell out of me. Nothing has changed as far as diet or lifestyle, so I really can't explain it. My hair has thinned quite a bit, though my laptop camera doesn't show just how bad it is. I'm really considering chopping back to MBL or even APL, because I can't stand having thin, ratty looking hair. I really need some advice here, because as of now I feel like I just want to be done with this, but I'm worried that if I chop and my hair continues to shed, I'll have short hair that's also thin. I know I'm probably going to be upset either way, if I leave it or if I cut it. Trimming doesn't seem to do anything for me either, and I've been doing it every 2 months.

Here's a picture that I just took this morning.

But this is deceptive because my black shirt makes my hair look thicker than it is. Here's without a shirt.

Now you can kinda see how uneven it is in terms of length and thickness, and how thin it has become.

At this rate, I'll never be able to grow it super long like I always wanted to.

Regrowing to this length, and beyond.
    Lord Cocidius of the Midnight Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Major shedding, considering chopping

I guess the choice is between thinner short hair and thinner long hair - don't do any drastic cuts before applying the 2 week wait.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. I have no solution either.

However. I think it looks good in the shirt, and I'd think that's how most people see you in everyday life. So even if you know that it has thinned out, you're probably okay in others' eyes. You're certainly okay in mine. Not that it helps your shedding, just something to consider before you chop it all off.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. I have no solution either.

However. I think it looks good in the shirt, and I'd think that's how most people see you in everyday life. So even if you know that it has thinned out, you're probably okay in others' eyes. You're certainly okay in mine. Not that it helps your shedding, just something to consider before you chop it all off.
    I agree with PolarCathy, but you also have to be happy with the way that it looks. Your hair is for your own enjoyment, not for anybody else. As somebody with a f/i pony, I can relate to your feelings, but we are our own worst critics. I think your hair looks lovely right about up to waist, but I can only tell that it's thinner when you don't have a shirt on, and like PolarCathy says, I'm assuming you're wearing a shirt most often in public

Do what feels best to you, but don't make any drastic decisions too quickly. That's my suggestion
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I think it looks good, I wouldn't cut it.

My advice would be go to the doctor and have blood work done. You could have an underlying medical cause. Even if you cut it short, finding the reason for the shed is really important.

What's your diet like? I remember you said you worked in construction (outdoors, correct me if I am wrong).
    Last edited by leslissocool; May 4th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

It does NOT look ratty to me. That's in your head. I'd say it; I have the guts to say that word to others, I've done it in the past, even when they didn't ask for my opinion (if they were pissing me off with something, that is, LOL).
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    bob/39"/44"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Your hair still looks quite awesome, I'd think a while before cutting. Visiting the doctor and having bloodwork is an excellent idea. Also, is there more stress in your life than before? PolarCathy is right, you can't really tell when you are wearing a shirt. Is it possible a whole lot of your hair ended their growth cycle and are renewing?

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I agree with going to the doctor before you trim. And I also agree that it does NOT look ratty, don't put yourself down like that - you WILL grow it super long, you're just going through some shedding at the moment and we all do! I know last year I did and it startled me, but it has stopped and everything is back to normal.

Length
    APL?/TBL/100cm
    Type
    1b/M/ii

To me it definitely doesn't look thin but I have seen your previous pictures (with shirt on though) and compared to those there may be some thinning below waist or hip level. If you are to cut, I wouldn't cut shorter than to hip or waist as atleast based on the photos the thinness seems to affect hair below those parts. Atleast you should try chopping less first and more later if you're still not satisfied.

So since you probably know best if you have been shedding, then you have to do what you can to make yourself as happy as you can be. I know it's not fun when your hair isn't the way you want it to be, but sometimes you just have to live with what is given to you.

How long do you think you've been shedding? Bloodwork is always good to do if you have sudden changes like hairloss. I know I was luckily not shedding but growing very slowly when I was anemic for the past year and have started picking up in hair growth after I got my bloodwork done and started taking iron supplements. I know anemia is less common in men than women but there are many other imbalances that can build up during the years while keeping everything what appears to be normal.

I hope you can find a reason for the shedding, but I'm sad to say some people have annual spring sheds, sheds every 3 years, every 7 years or just random sheds now and then for what seems to be no reason, so it might just as well be normal but unfortunate. In that case the hair usually suddenly starts growing back all at once after the shed ends but the thinning has already happened and will take years to get the thickness back. Has your hair been growing normally in the duration you have experienced increased shedding or have you noticed any difference?

Hip ---- BCL -- TBL -- 100 cm of hair!
    Growing my virgin roots since the end of 2011. Maintaining at TBL+ in 2015!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I'm sorry this is so upsetting for you. From what I can see, the thinning appears to be more from about BSL down. Are you sure it's shedding and not breakage (or a combination)? It looks pretty thick on your upper torso. If you do decide to cut, I think you could cut to waist and have it still look thick. Then maybe you could maintain and see how it goes.

And I second the advice about seeing a doctor and having a blood panel done. Always a good idea to rule out deficiencies, thyroid, etc.