Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I shave my head again or not?

Default Should I shave my head again or not?

I'm not sure if I've asked this question before, but I have been keeping my hair short for the past year by shaving it. Now, I'm letting it grow out, but it's dry from washing it with sulfate shampoo like everyday. I wash it like that just because I feel cleaner when I do that. Should I shave it again and just wash it once a week or baby the hair that has grown out (almost 3 weeks of growth)?

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Should I shave my head again or not?

I can't answer your question, you must just do what feels right for you.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

If you want long hair eventually, then there's no reason to shave. If you want a shaved head, then shave it.
    Whatever works for you.
    Show us a picture, it might help us decide for you since that appears to be what you want.
    heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    Chin/48.5/54
    Type
    2c/M/iii

What are your hair goals? Are you planning on keeping your hair short? If you are wanting to grow it out long, then shaving three weeks of growth will only slow your progress. Washing with sulfate shampoo shouldn't be a problem since you have really short hair. A lot of people use sulfate shampoos even when their hair is super long.
    MrsGuther

My hair goal is to be MBL.

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I say baby it, don't shave it anymore. I would baby it. Sulfate "damage" might not really be damage, but it could be being dry from over washing. I would put conditioner on it.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by natural80 View Post
    My hair goal is to be MBL.
    If that's your goal, then don't shave it. Even if your hair is a total disaster (which I really doubt), you still need to learn to handle it if you want midback length in a few years. And today is as good as any other day to start your journey. By the way, washing very short hair every day is not a problem at all: your sebum has enough time to coat your hair if it's short. The longer your hair grows, the more likely your hair will need stretching washes. Maybe what's really going on is that you are not sure yet whether you want long hair or short hair? Just don't forget that every time you shave you delay achieving your goal.

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Baby it. Do you really need to wash it every day?

Dry hair is easy to bring back to health. Don't shave and try to add moisturizing treatments to your routine. If sulphate shampoos are a must, try oiling your hair overnight prior to washing. You can also dilute your shampoo with water to make it less harsh.

Yeah, it is dry. I have some sulfate-free shampoos and conditioner cleansers, but I'm not used to them yet. I really need to start using them. I was real close to shaving it tonight, but after reading all of the replies, I decided not to and just baby it and use the cleansing conditioners. Thanks ladies.