Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Long Hair Article in Allure Magazine

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Pro-Long Hair Article in Allure Magazine

The May issue of Allure actually has an article on growing/maintaining long hair that I thought would (more or less) pass muster with LHC. Granted, their definition of "long" seems to stop at about midback, and includes layers "a soft V shape that starts with face framing layers at your cheek bones...from there you want blended layers down to the ends. Your ends should come to a point in the middle of your back" but I found most of the article to be a pleasant surprise. They recommended trimming less than half an inch every two months which is reasonable, especially for someone in the first stages of growing out their hair who might be used to having it cut every 3 or 4 weeks. Also recommended are daily two minute scalp massages, oiling (in the form of serums or shampoos with oil, but hey, baby steps!), satin pillow cases+ sleeping with a high bun, stretching washes, barely blowdrying, and not using a whole lot of product other than a volumizer and shine spray. They even recommended a specific amount of biotin (5,000 mcg, as per a dermatologist) and the amount of time you would have to take it daily to see results (3-6 months, which explains why I'm just now starting to see a little faster growth).

I definitely felt like it was a mainstream-magazine spin on having long hair, especially to someone like me who wants hair that's at least knee length, but their minimalist approach to heat styling and product usage was pretty refreshing. I think it would be pretty helpful for people who want long hair but aren't sure how to go about growing it out or taking care of it once it's past their shoulders...maybe we'll start seeing more hair that's mid-back+.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Pro-Long Hair Article in Allure Magazine

Interesting to find something like that in Mainstream Media! I am sure such a layered cut might be very attractive if you have the right hair for it - and never wanted to make an updo. For my thin straight hair, I'd be left with a few individual hairs at mid-back!

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like articles that give the nod to something only to tell me how they would like it done. In other words, in order for you to feel good about wearing long hair, the writers of the article want everyone to do it their way--to go around with the same type of haircut.

Length
    BSL/26.5"/HIP
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I think it was in the May edition of Elle that I read some surprisingly LHC-friendly advice. Something about avoiding heat, stretching washes and wearing hair up most of the time. Granted, the author of the article was complaining that this sort of thing wouldn't fit well with her lifestyle, but it was nice to see good hair advice printed in such a fashion-y magazine.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Kind of related: A girl at gymnastics class was telling the other girls with dye and heat damaged hair that moroccan oil (the branded silicone serum) scalp massages cured her bleach induced thinning and made her hair grow long (from above bsl to bsl). She tried it because of advice from a hairdresser on how to grow long hair.

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Styles cycle, long hair is in right now, next year everyone will be raving about pixies (not here but in mainstream media). I would look like hell with that layer plan, curls and poof and shrinkage on my! Follow what makes you happy and move on
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Type
    1a/F/i

I think it is refreshing to hear of a magazine advocating long hair. Too often they focus on short layered hair cuts. They also seem to focus on heating and curling the hair, so it's nice to hear of a magazine that is pro-long for a change.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

That's very interesting that such a popular magazine is advocating minimal heat-usage, and stretching washes! Most of the time you see, "Use X, Y, and Z tools, then ruffle it!" And the "wash every. Single. Day!" articles in mags. I think it's very refreshing that they did this!
    "I stopped cutting it when my true love went off to the Crusades and I vowed not to cut it or talk about it until they get back."
    Quote from Kat's mother, one that deserves to be used over and over!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

That is an interesting article.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by duchesswannabe View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like articles that give the nod to something only to tell me how they would like it done. In other words, in order for you to feel good about wearing long hair, the writers of the article want everyone to do it their way--to go around with the same type of haircut.
    I totally agree!