Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trimmers! how often do you trim?

Length
    10 in/10 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default trimmers! how often do you trim?

I know there are many women on here who are able to go for a long period of time without trims. However, i cannot :/ i am at that awkward stage with my hair just NOW past my shoulders (yay! its grown since i started!) and, it wont be past its awkwardness until about 2.5 -3 more inches. My hair also flips up at the end and when it grows, rather than it looking longer, the flip of it just becomes more noticeable-__- which is terrible for this length too because it looks like it doesnt grow.

anywho,
    for those like me who find the need to trim. how often do you do so?
    or those who have advice on breaking the habit slowly, how would be a good way to go about this?

Ive done a good job of not trimming at all since the middle of January, but like i said. my ends are driving me bonkers. O.o
    Last edited by cdonald2; March 18th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
    ~chin~neck~shoulder length~collar bone length~ APL~ BSB~BSL~MBL~WL
    "And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God." — Les Miserables

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: trimmers! how often do you trim?

I also have slightly wavy hair, and yes, the waves shorten the length of the hair so that it grows sideways instead of downwards for a while after you've reached shoulder length. x) But once the side wave has been put to rest the non-cutting is all worthwhile!
    I don't really have any good advice when it comes to avoid cutting, as I just yearn for long hair, and cutting means shorter hair, not longer hair... and that's how I avoid doing it. I don't want to go backwards in progress, unless I have damage. Of course I still feel like cutting it at times (layers), but I persevere.

Have you thought about choosing a few set dates every year when you cut your hair? I don't know if this'd help you, but I think it might work for me.
    ...Did anybody say purple?!
    CBL APL MBL Waist Hip TBL Classic

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hm... I think you´ll gonna have to go through those flippy, awkward stages no matter what. Trimming wont solve it, it´ll only make you further away from your goal and prolong the awkwardness. Unless you have layers you want to get rid off or the ends are thin and broken (which you dont mention), I wouldnt trim in an attempt to get rid of the flips as I dont see how that´d work. Just my

Length
    14/34/35
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I trim once a month and my hair grows fast. But that's because I have split ends (old dye damage) - if you can go without a trim, do so should you wish, but if you do want to trim, make sure you know how fast your hair grows so you're not cutting off more than you've grown

Length
    19.5"/21.5"/28"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I used to trim every 5 weeks when I had my roots colored (I still have a fair amount of highlighting and heat damage). I now color every 6 weeks and only trim every 2nd color (so every 12 weeks). Even then I only get the tiniest bit taken off my ends. My wavy awkward length and layered hair also drives me crazy due to some crazy flips. I just try and take care of my hair the best I can so I don't sustain too much damage between trims then I don't feel so bad about extending the time. I'm hoping that as my hair grows out of this awkward stage I can wait even longer between trims.

If your ends are driving you crazy and you have damage, I say trim. Find someone you trust and just have the bare minimum taken off! If you don't have damage or raggedy ends I would try and resist the urge to cut for as long as you can

Length
    10 in/10 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I do t really get damage but when my ends feel dry i trim
    ~chin~neck~shoulder length~collar bone length~ APL~ BSB~BSL~MBL~WL
    "And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God." — Les Miserables

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

When your ends are dry, it's usually something that can be solved without cutting. Sometimes it's buildup, sometimes it's need of oil or a different conditioning treatment. If you know what it is, great, but if not I just like to do all three. Clarify especially the ends, deep condition (SMTs are fantastic for this for me), and when you rinse it out put a little dab of your favorite hair oil (coconut's a good default, but use something that you know your hair drinks up) on the ends and length. Some people will put a protein step in there too, based on what they know their hair likes.

Otherwise, I agree that trimming the flippy ends will just prolong the flippy ends stage. If there's no damage or thinness or unevenness that you're getting twitchy to get rid of, it's best to power through this for a couple months. Save the trimming for when you see damage or need to even your hair up.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cdonald2 View Post
    I do t really get damage but when my ends feel dry i trim
    Instead of cutting when the ends feel dry, have you tried clarifying and/or oiling them? Sometimes build up can make the hair feel rough, tangly or dry and thats when clarifying comes in. All ends also need a little bit of moisture every now and then, hence why oiling is very popular here. When my ends feel funny, I try those two things first and if it still doesnt feel good afterward Id might consider a trim.

Edit: Anje was faster than me...

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

You seem worried that you'll trim too often. Some who have this issue choose to trim or S&D (search and destroy split ends and white dots) by the moon (Here's a link to the official thread). There are multiple "methods" as to when one should cut their hair for maximum growth; some cut by the waxing or Full moon whereas others cut by New moons. For instance, there's the Morroccan method (named after its founder, not the country) and a few other popular methods which stem from occult practices. Here's a link with a lot of information but do keep in mind that not everyone chooses to cut by the New Moon for length, some believe that the Full Moon will speed growth and that the New Moon is for thickening hair while it grows slower. It just depends which method you decide works best for you.

I personally need to S&D pretty often, my hair just splits too easily and I can't stand to see the damage! Splits/white dots makes me obsess that every little thing I'm doing is damaging my hair even more lol. You don't need to give up trimming altogether, you just shouldn't do it more than necessary because then you'll trim away anything you manage to grow (and remain in the awkward stage as others have mentioned). However, trimming is the only way to rid yourself of the damage once it's there. Hope you've got at least a little help from this
    Last edited by alishaxmarie; March 18th, 2014 at 12:16 PM.

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I feel like I need a trim every 3-4 months. I trim about 0.5 to 1.5" off every time. I have lot of old dye and heat damage though. I trim when my ends start feeling thin/ratty.
    1a/m/ii, going to tailbone!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!