Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does hair thicken up as it grows?

Length
    2"/5"/APL
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Does hair thicken up as it grows?

I have baby fine hair that is pretty thin. You can't see my scalp and I don't shed very much but it is definitely thin and always has been, although I think it has gotten a bit thinner as I have aged or that could just be because I no longer tint or bleach it so it may just feel thinner as it is now slippier.

However I have read a few posts where people have mentioned that their hair has thickened up as it has got longer and I have seen pics that certainly seem to suggest this. I understand everyones hair is different and that this may occur for some and not others but I am hoping that this is what can happen and that this is what i will experience as I would love even a little bit more bulk.

But, I was wondering what peoples experience is of this happening. Is this a commom occurance, that as the years go by and hair get longer and is looked after and treated well does, it start to bulk up a bit?
    Lou x
    Pixie/Ear/Just below ear/just below chin/SL/CBL/APL/BSL

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Does hair thicken up as it grows?

Mine has thickened since my layers have started growing out.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I think hair thickness pretty much stays the same, or lessens as a person gets older.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Hair doesn't automatically bulk up as it gets longer, I don't think. Treatments like henna and to a lesser extent cassia can give it a push in that direction for some, and someone who has damaged hair and starts taking care of it and growing out that damage - or grow out layers - could definitely experience their hair getting thicker, but generally I'd say the hair close to your scalp is a good indicator of what your hair will be like when longer.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My hair hasn't got thicker with length, in that the individual strands haven't thicked up and there aren't more of them growing out of my head. However, since I've started taking care of my hair fewer strands are breaking off or getting ripped out and shedding prematurely, so the overall effect is that I have more bulk than I used to.

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Maybe that was not lenght,but better care - hair care and health care overall.Especially the later!

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

For me, I think the only reason why my hair gained a half an inch in a year is because when I started here at LHC, I had layers. As the year went on, the layers grew out and filled in. My hair doesn't feel any thicker than it did when I started, but I do have the bonus of not having a ton of layers.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    jaw/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    My hair hasn't got thicker with length, in that the individual strands haven't thicked up and there aren't more of them growing out of my head. However, since I've started taking care of my hair fewer strands are breaking off or getting ripped out and shedding prematurely, so the overall effect is that I have more bulk than I used to.
    Yes, this exactly. This has helped mine for sure. I also went through a pretty big hair change in my 20s where my super straight dark blond hair got wavier, darker, and fuller which makes it seem like I have more hair. The downside to that is frizz. So, the jury's still out in my case as to whether that was a good change.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think what people are talking about is the taper. Taper that "catches up" can thicken, but this doesn't go for the overall thickness of your hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Your hair sounds very similar to mine. The longest I've had my hair is BSL at which I start to taper quite a bit.
    I would like to reach waist, and have the thickness move down.
    I did gain some thickness in ponytail circumference when I grew out my bangs/fringe.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural