Thread: Could do with some help...?

Length
    16/45/term.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Question Could do with some help...?

Well. My cousin's post-wedding-party-for-people-who-couldn't-make-it-to-the-wedding is on the weekend, but I have a minor problem. Two, actually.

First problem:
    I hennaed my hair with Lush henna about, oh, two months ago now, and I've been too lazy to go back to Lush and buy some more - until now. I have a good inch of light-brown regrowth, and the hair colour's just faded all over, and I wanted it to be a bit more, well, dramatic.

Unfortunately, when I went there, they hadn't any left, and they don't know when they're going to get more in. Although I have a bit left, it isn't enough to dye all my hair.

What do I do? I basically have three options:
    1. Forget about the fading, ignore the regrowth and just leave it be until I can get my hands on some more henna (which could be in a day, a week, a month...)
    2. Dye just the top layer of hair/as much hair as I can and hope the colour differences won't be too obvious.
    3. Dye my hair with non-Lush henna. I could go to one of the shops I know stocks Nazeer Henna, at least, and perhaps that would do. (of course, then the problem is: "Standard Red" henna or "Sunset Red" henna? Probably the latter)

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Option Three slightly, but I'd like to know your opinions.

Second problem:
    I don't know what to do with my hair!

I could leave my hair down or in a half-pony, but it tangles really easily when it isn't up or plaited, and I'm wearing dangly earrings, so probably not the best option.
    I could do a plaited/rope-braid bun with hairsticks (bit fancier than your everyday bun, see) but I am not particularly good at rope braids, and as for plaits - well, I'm good at plaits, but I really loved the look of the rope-braid bun that I saw a while ago in the old LHC (of course it's disappeared now and I don't remember who posted the article, but I do remember that it looked pretty amazing - I think it involved twisting the hair as you bunned it so it tightened the rope and made a spiral?)
    I could just plait it neatly, but that seems a little lazy, and besides, I've been wearing a plait almost every day for the past month.
    I could put it in a normal bun, but they're never neat enough for my liking.
    I could... well, you get the picture.

So can you help me? Please?
    Started at shoulder length (age twelve, sixteen inches)
    Currently at classic length (reached at age nineteen, forty-five inches)

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Unfortunately I cannot help you with your henna problem but perhaps with hairstyles. I remember that rose bun you mentioned, it was simply to make a rope braid first and then twist it around itself to make it tighter while coiling it. One direction makes it tighter, the other looser. Just try and see. Rose buns are lovely, and if you decide to wear one you have some days left to practise on rope braids.

I remember there was also an embellished rose bun at the old LHC - that one requires tiny accent rope braids made of the hair at the temples/front, one on each side. Then pull these braids back along the hairline and around the rose bun. Put them around from below the bun, so the left one goes counter-clockwise around the bun and the right one goes clockwise around it. Hope my explanations are clear enough.

If you don't want to rope braid, may I suggest the Victorian updo from Dressy Tresses:
    http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/ga...ictorian-updo/
    IMHO, a lovely updo for special occasions and not difficult to make.

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

If you are more confident in your braiding skills than your rope braiding skills, then you could do a Chinese Braided Bun. It's a bit more exciting than a braided bun or a braid alone.

That's just one version of instructions btw, there are other ways to do it.

I can't help on the henna problems, but if you were using Lush henna I don't see that it's a huge step to the non-Lush henna.

HTH
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Secwet Wannabee Wavee Juliet's Silk's Avatar
    Length
    20/35/thick
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

If you still have some Henna left, you could do a Henna gloss. That should help at least mask the regrowth somewhat and give the color a bit new depth. Unfortunately I can't help with a recipe since the only one I knew was over at old LHC but I think it's basically mixing the henna with conditioner if I'm not mistaken.

For the style, you can always make a "boring" braid a bit more interesting by tying a ribbon around it, or weaving it in as you braid. I really love ribbons, but of course the style needs to match your outfit.

LHC meet Sept. 2006
    Quo vadis?

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Henna gloss is henna (mixed and ready to dye) mixed with conditioner.
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I've used Nazeer henna, and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with results. It didn't give that vibrant colour I've received using other (yet cheaper) brands of henna. I don't think that they're pure, BAQ, because otherwise it would just be "red", not sunset red or auburn red and whatever else they have.

I would suggest a temporary tint using herbal/plant based ingredients - it won't be permanent but it could brighten things up until you get more henna. That said, I've run out of advice - I'm not sure what you could do. Chamomile tea? Paprika? Beetroot? Disclaimer - I have no idea what would give a temporary red hue. There are experts around here on herbal colouring and tinting, hopefully someone will stop by soon - there was lots of info on old LHC, but that's gone, unfortunately!

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

as to hair- maybe a switch to true BAQ henna is in order? if so- check the henna forum and thread and strand test first!

On the other hand- how fancy do you want to make this? I am plotting an intricate arrangement of braids for my cousin's black tie wedding party no dress yet, so the style may change a bit.. but basically the last test I liked was 2 dutch braids down the sides of my head, then looped back up and through the OPPOSITE braid about halfway up, pulled into the center, and braided together then folded the length of that braid, and pinned the ends to make it a loop as well.

Looked like it took hours instead of about 1/2 an hour of braiding.. and would be easy to add ribbons or flowers to.
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page

Length
    16/45/term.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thanks for those of you who suggested a henna gloss! I had more henna than I'd thought (about 150g as opposed to the 50 I thought I had) so I had almost enough to make up a real henna mix that would cover my hair - however, not quite, so I added a fair amount of conditioner and left it in for an hour (which I know isn't very long, but I didn't need it to be really super bright, just a bit less faded) The colour's even over the pre-dyed/un-dyed bit, and it's brighter than before.

I can't actually do Dutch braids or French braids , Khyricat, so I can't do the same style as you - although it sounds lovely!

The Victorian updo's gorgeous, Meli - unfortunately I haven't any barrettes! Again, . However, I remember the "Embellished Rose Bun" - I might try that.

Juliet's Silk, I could very well do something with a ribbon - except I can't find a ribbon like my dress anywhere! (It's teal taffeta)
    I like the Chinese Braided Bun, Alaia, I might just do that!

Thanks so much to everyone who posted - you have no idea how much it means to me! Here, these are for you.
    Started at shoulder length (age twelve, sixteen inches)
    Currently at classic length (reached at age nineteen, forty-five inches)