Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me stretch just one day...

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Help me stretch just one day...

I'd like to ask you all for just a couple of things I can do to help me stretch washes. As long as I've washed my hair I've always washed every day, because my hair gets oily and because I like a clean, fresh-feeling scalp. But, as my hair grows longer, I would dearly love to be able to wash every other day. I've read a lot of advice on the forums, and I think I've picked up a few ideas to try but I also have some questions.

Would it help to WO on my non-poo day? Would it help to scritch/preen and/or BBB? Maybe do this and then WO? Maybe ACV rinse? Or just leave it dry and put it up?

I have 1b, ii, quite oily scalp and hair, scalp in good condition. Hair in good condition, basically unexceptional A little more than BSL (waist this year, whoo-hoo)! Oh, and I have briefly tried CO, but my hair started behaving oddly and I just don't have the time to try and figure it out right now-- I need move to less, not more

Thank you all!
    Last edited by winship2; March 26th, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Help me stretch just one day...

I wash once or twice a week. I use shampoo diluted 50/50 with water, which doesn't strip the natural oils so badly, I feel. Because this is more gentle on the scalp, it stops producing so much oil itself. (My theory).

The rest of the time I just keep my hair up. If there is any trace of oily roots, it is much more disguised that way. I think that very frequent washing can increase the chance of mechanical damage happening to hair.

This is what I do, I'm sure others here will have good advice.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    32/32/44
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Perhaps every other day is what works best for you? Some people can't stretch. I can usually go about two days before my hair starts to look a little strange. My trick if I want to go longer is updos. Most people think greasy hair that's in a nice braid or pair of braids, up in a pretty bun, or in a ponytail...just has product in it. I also sometimes do half-ups if it isn't too obvious that my scalp is greasy. If my hair is loose it's super obvious that it's way too greasy. I'm 1b, iii, also greasy/oily. I find because I produce so much oil as long as I oil my ends before showers it doesn't hurt my hair to shower frequently. I enjoy taking showers, so I don't stretch for as long as some people do. I tried a week once (not on purpose I was just too busy/lazy at night to wash) and it was easily hidden with a quick brush and a ponytail.

For me preening/scritching doesn't seem too effective, it's a nice massage but all it does is make my grease cover even more of my hair and doesn't seem to make a difference in the level of health.

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Yes, WO on your non-poo day would definitely help you stretch. BBB'ing might also help. ACV is pretty much always a great idea.

But also don't be afraid to bun it and not worry about it being a little greasy. Chances are no one will notice or care, and really this is exactly what might help the most. Your scalp will need time to adjust. Once you start washing less frequently, you may even find that your scalp doesn't get oily as fast.

Good luck!
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I wash once or twice a week. I use shampoo diluted 50/50 with water, which doesn't strip the natural oils so badly, I feel. Because this is more gentle on the scalp, it stops producing so much oil itself. (My theory).
    Yes, I think trying to use 50/50 on my (hopefully) every other wash day is a great step. Thank you.

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
    Perhaps every other day is what works best for you? Some people can't stretch. [...] I find because I produce so much oil as long as I oil my ends before showers it doesn't hurt my hair to shower frequently. I enjoy taking showers, so I don't stretch for as long as some people do. I tried a week once (not on purpose I was just too busy/lazy at night to wash) and it was easily hidden with a quick brush and a ponytail.

For me preening/scritching doesn't seem too effective, it's a nice massage but all it does is make my grease cover even more of my hair and doesn't seem to make a difference in the level of health.
    I think I wasn't clear-- at the moment I wash every day, and I'd like to make it to every other day. I think what I'm hearing you say is: If you (I) have to wash every day, oil to help prevent damage; use hairstyles to mask oiliness; preening might make the appearance of my hair more, rather than less, oily. All good thoughts, thanks.

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
    Perhaps every other day is what works best for you? Some people can't stretch. [...] I find because I produce so much oil as long as I oil my ends before showers it doesn't hurt my hair to shower frequently. I enjoy taking showers, so I don't stretch for as long as some people do. I tried a week once (not on purpose I was just too busy/lazy at night to wash) and it was easily hidden with a quick brush and a ponytail.

I think I wasn't clear-- at the moment I wash every day, and I'd like to make it to every other day. I think what I'm hearing you say is: If you (I) have to wash every day, oil to help prevent damage; use hairstyles to mask oiliness; preening might make the appearance of my hair more, rather than less, oily. All good thoughts, thanks.

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Naiadryade View Post
    Yes, WO on your non-poo day would definitely help you stretch. BBB'ing might also help. ACV is pretty much always a great idea.

But also don't be afraid to bun it and not worry about it being a little greasy. Chances are no one will notice or care, and really this is exactly what might help the most. Your scalp will need time to adjust. Once you start washing less frequently, you may even find that your scalp doesn't get oily as fast.

Good luck!
    I thin WO might help that "not so fresh feeling", and ACV or something else clean and tingly-feeling. Maybe I can bag the length? Having two hours of wet hair every morning is tiresome! And I think you're right, I will be WAY more sensitive to this than anyone else. Thank you for your reply.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

You might as well give it a try if you really want to. If it doesn't work then don't fret.

I can not stretch even one day, and I have come to accept it. I used to be able to stretch two days when I had really nasty chemical laden water. Now that I have very very nice water, its impossible....And I am totally 100% okay with it.

If I do stretch one day I feel disgusting (not to say wash stretchers are disgusting at all) all day long. I usually just wear it up and use dry shampoo in my bangs/face framing at the roots. So, I guess I can stretch one day but I simply enjoy the feeling of clean hair. I enjoy it too much to be miserable just because Im jealous that other people can stretch.
    Taking an LHC break.

I should know this. Probably. No, definitely.
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The best advice I can think of to give you is to put it up and forget about it- try not to touch it at all. For me at least, the less I touch it the less greasy it gets.
    Darkling I listen; and for many a time I have been half in love with easeful Death, Call'd him soft names in many a muse'd rhyme
    -John Keats