Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming to terms with my natural colour and late anniversary!

Length
    Buzz/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Coming to terms with my natural colour and late anniversary!

This thread is pretty much going to be me talking about my feelings about my hair and some story telling :b

When I was 12 I had decided my blonde hair wasn't edgy enough and therefore started changing it little by little, until the point this one friend of mine, whose hair is constatntly being fried and she loves it that way, told me I should stop beating around the bush and just bleach it. I don't resent her for that, she simply has different views on what beautiful hair is, and so did I at the time. I continued to dye it until about 1 year ago (can't remember when I stopped exactly) and I was sure I was going to be greeted by the hair colour I saw mostly in old pictures, but never once I considered those pictures were at least 8 years old, and I didn't really remember what my hair looked like when I first started dying it and like I started hating cameras once I turned 11 there was nowhere I could look.

This is what my hair looked like when I was 5ish

Of course I did not expect that to be the colour I was going to have but I never thought it could become this dark, after all, I had white hair for the first three years of my life!
    After growing my natural hair for almost, if not, 1 year already I've finally realised it IS dark. For this whole year I've been making up excuses such as "It's just because it's winter" or "The bleached ends makes it look darker than what it is" and others -which I know to be true but not to the extent I was making them to be. Finally, yesterday, I was taking some length pictures to see if I had also reached waist with dry hair, when I took some time to actually watch my hair both in pictures and real life, and yeah... it's not what I'd usually call blonde. I wont stop calling myself a blonde because I've been one my whole life and my whole body hair is white anyways but I did come to terms that may be I'm not that blonde. It's weird. Do I like it? No, I hate it. Blonette hair is really beautiful -on others-. I don't like being in the verge of too dark for blonde but too blonde for brunette. I try to encourage myself, looking at pictures of dark blonde girls such as Dakota - Rose (who was the cause of my wanting to grow out my natural hair) and telling myself once the bleached part is trimmed it'll look better, but I'm still not happy about it. I wont dye until all the old dye is cut off, that's a little vow I made, but I'm really tempted to just order some henna and divorce "blonde" forever

Ahh, that was long, and now we reach an abrupt end (aka I need to save some brains for school)

And it's time for the photos, which is a little bit more entertaining

This is what my hair looks like in all natural light and Tequila photo bomb hahah

And now! Like I didn't make an anniversary post because I couldn't for the life of me take ONE decent picture of my hair, I thought I might just compress it all in one thread

This is from the time I had just joined the LHC, around DEC 2011, for comparison (I started growing my hair one year before that though).

And finally a texture photo with my hair au natural without braid/bun waves

Well then that's it. I feel better now that I could rant for a bit and share some pictures :b

Thank you for reading!

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Coming to terms with my natural colour and late anniversary!

Amazing progress, congrats! And I lovelove love the ombre look you're got going on right now, it's beautiful! I wish you could see the beauty of your hair, it looks so luxurious and untamed at the same time!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I'm another former blonde. It took me years to stop thinking of myself as blonde, even though I never dyed my hair, so the darkening happened gradually. It's only very recently that I've made peace with my current hair colour. I think your colour is lovely, and definitely still counts as blonde in my book.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Let's get one thing straight: your hair is drop dead gorgeous! Really!

Umm, are you in your twenties? I think it's normal for hair to change color and darken as we age. (Until we start graying, then it goes the other way!) My hair darkened from strawberry blonde to medium ash brown in my 20's. Every trace of red went away. I tried to like it, but felt ugly and weird without the red, so cut a teensy pixie and tried to like it. I ended up coloring, growing my pixie in natural, coloring, growing natural again, for YEARS! I discovered henna, and I love my hair now. It's still dark, but it's dark RED. It's okay to color it if it makes you feel better. It's your hair, and you ought to enjoy it!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

IMO you're not even "blonette" as you say. It's definitely brunette. Congrats on the growth and taking care of your hair. It looks good. Don't dive into henna until all the bleach is cut off or you might end up ronald mcdonald orange!

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Length
    17.5"/36"/37"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I guess color is in the eye of the beholder because I would call you "honey blonde"

whatever the color, your hair is really pretty
    2015: 7" growth~~~2016: 5" growth
    Jan. 1, 2017: 36"
    hoping for virgin tailbone Summer, 2017

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

You're blonde - no doubt about it! I like your texture and your color!
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    17.5"/36"/37"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

double post
    Last edited by door72067; March 26th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
    2015: 7" growth~~~2016: 5" growth
    Jan. 1, 2017: 36"
    hoping for virgin tailbone Summer, 2017

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Your hair is pretty.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

I love, love, love your hair colour. Dark blonde is my favourite hair colour. I love how yours looks against your red shirt in the last picture!!!