Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing out a bad cut, advice needed please

Default Growing out a bad cut, advice needed please

I have very thick course hair which was long and badly damaged from too much dye. I have stopped using permanent dye and just use wash in wash out colour. But before Xmas I went a bit made and got loads of the bad stuff cut off. The hairdresser puts in loads of layers, short ones at the top and to be honest it did resemble a mullet. I am longing for long hair again but growing out this terrible cut isn't easy. My layers are longer but top heavy, I don't want o cut the back and loose what length I have, also my hair has a natural kink.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Growing out a bad cut, advice needed please

I would go for regular small trims to keep it shaped up and experiment with styles. There are lots of YouTube videos on styling. There are some fun wraps you can do with scarves, and don't forget hair-bands and slides.

This too shall pass; be patient.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd trim and find new styles. There are scarves and head bands.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

As a girl with her own share of ill-chosen, immediatly regretted haircuts I think some months and some benign neglect/microtrimming will help you out! My hair resembled a mushroom both when i had layers and when I had a bob...

edit: there are a lot of styling tecniques, expecially pincurls, that are difficult to do on very long hair, maybe you can experiment with them to have fun with your current haircut!
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; March 7th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Pixie!- Shingle - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder...

A few questions:
    What hair dye are you currently using?
    What is your natural haircolour? There might be a less damaging or more natural way for you to achieve this colour.
    What is your hairtype?
    And finally, did you cut off all the damage? If not, is what is left breaking off, split and of a drastically different texture?

My opinion depends on your answers but generally I wouldn't trim unless it is due to damage that is incurable or traveling up the length. You've said you don't want to lose length and if you maintain your current length with trims to grow out layers you will be losing a lot of hair and your goals will be pushed back significantly in time. A mullet is really unfortunate and I've been there before and will be having one really soon again due to a buzzcut but it isn't unbearable if you experiment with different hairstyles in the meantime and keeping your mind off of it while doing things to ensure the new hair growing in is of the best possible quality. Headbands, bandanas, and hats are a big help during this phase. Once the top layers reach shoulder length or so, the overall cut looks much better and the layers will start to blend and the overall appearance of your cut will keep improving. I really think things will be much better once you get over the initial mullet by leaving it alone. Give it time and try to be patient. You can always re-evaluate your regime if it isn't working for you. Best of luck

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Regular trims and patience . It does pass eventually, it just takes time, im sure every single member on here has been in this dilemma at some point or another. Plenty of DC treatments will keep it in good nick whilst its growing too.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    A few questions:
    What hair dye are you currently using?
    What is your natural haircolour? There might be a less damaging or more natural way for you to achieve this colour.
    What is your hairtype?
    And finally, did you cut off all the damage? If not, is what is left breaking off, split and of a drastically different texture?
    k
    I am using Wella Toners and Shaders to blend the new growth. My natural hair colous is medium brown with 30% grey mostly at the front. I have thick coarse hair, I have about 2 inches of old dye left it is a bit dry on the ends but is ok when I use coconut oil on it.

I will try and post picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

This picture was taken just before Christmas so I have some new growth. I am also wearing Roux fanciful mousse Plush Brown to help the colour. I have tried headbands but because my hair is so thick, it pushes out like wings. Luckily I can pull it all back into a ponytail, just!

Some photos to show what's been happening in the last year
    [IMG][/IMG]

Summer 2012, full set of blonde highlights and layers.

[IMG][/IMG]

March 2012, dyed hair every 3 weeks to cover grey roots.

One final photo taken this morning just to show how bad it really is ! [IMG][/IMG]