Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

  1. #1
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    474
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    I thought when I'd get to navel/hip length id really like it, but idk it's a weird length on me and not flattering. So I decided to just grow to bcl and maintain there. Except I have these hideous layers left and if they go un-trimmed for too long then they split and tangle and crumble. So I trimmed about 2 and a half weeks ago and have been S&Ding like a champ, minimizing handling and any other damage. I'm even finger combing only to detangle, which takes forever! It was all going great and i thought i could make at least 2 months without a trim.

    I did my scheduled protein treatment but my mom had used up my moisturising follow up co. For the past 2 days until i could get to the shops, i've had to deal with over protein-ed, dry, tangled, extra big wavy hair. There's at least 50 new splits, plus i got really annoyed styling it today that i flat ironed it into submission (lowest setting ) which has no doubt caused more damage. So now I'm totally gonna need to trim

    It's all heat damaged lame hair that needs 3/4 inches off to be fully awesome. Sadly im chasing length and if only my hair would just frikking cooperate, i'd be at my goal in a few months free to chop away those rubbish inches. It's no use going for the fresh cut either, since by the time they reach the same length they are equally as lame.

    Tbh there's probably a foot of my hair that was exposed to frequent high heat and will crumble over nothing. It's gonna take forever to grow out. Still, it's encouraging to see all this thickness at the roots.

    feel free to vent too or kill the thread. my cats sick, i dont like my hair today, im binging on cereal :/

  2. #2
    Louise MidnightMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    2,765
    Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Well I can't really help but I'm in the same situation. Mine is about hip length but I used to straighten it -in the highest temperature available- weekly for a couple of years AND dye it (imagine auburn, then black and then redish, which took 3 boxes of dye before lightening). So basically from BSL to my hips is frizzy, thin hair.
    And the virgin hair feels so soft and a lot thicker :/
    But I'm not going to lose length anymore (I once went from TB to BSL) so I'm just growing it out and recently tried to even my hemline which was like an inch of length loss in some parts where it had grown more but I guess i a couple of years it will be better :/

  3. #3
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    474
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    I might just exclusively live in braids for a month or 2. Just moisturise, moisturise, humectant and damp bun. take out of damp bun, put in double braids, rinse repeat, oo look length! yeah wheres the updos challenge thread

  4. #4
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    474
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMoon View Post
    Well I can't really help but I'm in the same situation. Mine is about hip length but I used to straighten it -in the highest temperature available- weekly for a couple of years AND dye it (imagine auburn, then black and then redish, which took 3 boxes of dye before lightening). So basically from BSL to my hips is frizzy, thin hair.
    And the virgin hair feels so soft and a lot thicker :/
    But I'm not going to lose length anymore (I once went from TB to BSL) so I'm just growing it out and recently tried to even my hemline which was like an inch of length loss in some parts where it had grown more but I guess i a couple of years it will be better :/
    it really is shocking isnt it, i mean how thick/soft the roots are compared. Even if we cut, it's gonna be the same problem till all that damage has grown out. What do u plan to do? does anything help with the damage?

  5. #5
    Louise MidnightMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    2,765
    Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    I might just exclusively live in braids for a month or 2. Just moisturise, moisturise, humectant and damp bun. take out of damp bun, put in double braids, rinse repeat, oo look length! yeah wheres the updos challenge thread
    Well I wear my hair up daily for work and it stays like that in college...then when I come home I just braid it for sleep :P.
    Although I'm not sure not letting your hair dry is good, specially for your scalp, a lot of humidity might cause your skin to react negatively (at least in my case I feel like it ends up flaky or with some sort of build up).

  6. #6
    Member SoulOfTheSea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the depths of the aqueous abyss...
    Posts
    938
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    I would keep trying all sorts of styles/styling methods/products until you find the right one! Do not give up! I finally found the right shampoo, serum, and styling technique for my hip-length hair that makes it the best it's ever been. Patience (although I know it is SO hard sometimes, especially on bad hair days) is absolutely the most important thing. Also looking at long hair motivation pictures keeps me happy when my hair isn't.

    APL+//BSL//MBL//Waist

  7. #7
    Louise MidnightMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    2,765
    Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    it really is shocking isnt it, i mean how thick/soft the roots are compared. Even if we cut, it's gonna be the same problem till all that damage has grown out. What do u plan to do? does anything help with the damage?
    Well I think I'd rather live with the damage until it groes out. I really hated short hair, plus, in the second/third day after washing it looks decent of I don't move a lot haha. So the best option would be mantaining.
    Perhaps we won't be gaining length but at least our hair will look much healthier and thicker.
    And thicker ends help hair look longer since they're not as see-through as the damaged parts...

    I think I'll be trimming my ends this year. I already did in February so perhaps 1 inch every 6 months or so will be good. I would cut 2 but I don't want to risk it knowing how much it takes my air to grow back :/

  8. #8
    Member dollyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winterfell
    Age
    29
    Posts
    606
    Length
    ear/CB/WL:31
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulOfTheSea View Post
    I would keep trying all sorts of styles/styling methods/products until you find the right one! Do not give up! I finally found the right shampoo, serum, and styling technique for my hip-length hair that makes it the best it's ever been. Patience (although I know it is SO hard sometimes, especially on bad hair days) is absolutely the most important thing. Also looking at long hair motivation pictures keeps me happy when my hair isn't.
    I second this advice. Keep experimenting with your routine! Find your magical combo of products and wash methods
    Growing out and getting rid of damage is the worst... I'm kind of in denial about mine and putting off the inevitable! But every time it gets me down, I remember that honestly, my hair is THE most malleable aspect of my appearance, and I have way more control than I think. No matter what, it'll grow back. I can always try something new. There will always be more hair! Patience...patience... Ah, patience is a virtue. At least, that's what I tell myself. I hate the wait!!
    ***2a/b, 4.75"**Arctic Fox => pink***
    ~chin~shoulder~collarbone~armpit~brastrap~waist~


  9. #9
    Vintage Comb Enabler Calaelen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    in my house, mostly.
    Posts
    3,170
    Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    I have excellent success using the hair cutting chart on Morocco Method. The difference I get by trimming on appropriate cut dates is so huge, I recommend anyone with the issues you guys are having to give that a try. I would never return to random trimming. I'm currently impatiently waiting for this months cut days to trim off several inches that were destroyed during recent illness/ hospital stay. If I didn't know how quickly the regular trimming on those dates would help, I'd be so lost right now.
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Zealand, Denmark
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,653
    Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: I'm not liking hip and other hair frustrations (vent thread)

    Goldoli, have you considered microtrimming?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •