Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been teased about your hair?

Length
    APL?/TBL/100cm
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Have you ever been teased about your hair?

I've read a some stories here about people who didn't dare have their hair the way they wanted because of teasing or who were forced to wear their hair in a certain cut in their childhood. What kind of stories do you have, how did the situation make you feel and how do you feel about your hair now?

I used to love unraveling the braids my mom made me in kindergarten to have my APL to BSL hair flow in the wind while playing outside or swinging in the swings. I'm sure my mom didn't appreciate it but it was my thing. I don't remember if this continued in the first grades at school, I would assume my hair was mostly in a ponytail in school, but when I started liking my hair down in 4th or 5th grade my "friends" who had started teasing me more about various things at this point anyway, they started calling me names when I wore my hair down. They said I looked like Jesus (we are not religious here and I hope this isn't offensive to some) or that I looked like a man when my hair was down. Same difference, I guess. I kept trying to wear my hair down because I liked it but all the negative comments quickly made me stop it alltogether.

I didn't wear my hair down in public more than once since age 11 or 12 until I was about 22. That's when I started forcing myself to do so. It felt weird having my hair in my face all the time but I got used to it. I hadn't heard the bad comments in ages but it took me so long to get rid of the idea that I was somehow ugly with my hair down. Now I'm fine with it and I think I look better with my hair down. The funny thing is that I'm back to wearing my hair up most of the time thanks to LHC but I do treat myself to wearing my hair down every now and then for a special occasion.

So that was my story. Please, share yours.

Hip ---- BCL -- TBL -- 100 cm of hair!
    Growing my virgin roots since the end of 2011. Maintaining at TBL+ in 2015!

Length
    18"/22"/27"
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Have you ever been teased about your hair?

Great idea for a thread! I've only ever been teased by my dad, he would say it was too thick. Apparently because it was too thick it meant that I was only allowed collarbone length hair and because it had tangles my dad had to "rip" a brush through it. My childhood hair is the same thickness now, 3" ! Thick my ass!
    Grew from apl to waist, now starting back over!
    Lady Ariadne of Wales, enemy of the English crown in the order of the LHK!
    CBL-SL-APL-​BSL-MBL-WAIST

Oh, I'm so sorry for you. Strange how people would say you'd look like a man when having long loose hair, I knew a guy from my high school who people mistook for a girl from behind because of his long hair.

When I was a kid I had really straight hair, and when I was arround 10 years old, it started to go curly, thing is, I did not know how to take care of curly hair, nor did my mom. So, I got a triangle head x.x And people udes to say my hair was ugly because I didn't take care of it and I tried back then many things to make it look good, but my lack of hair skills failed. And so I spend my 5th grade up to my 8th or even more wearing nothing but a laxy twist wrapped by a claw clip (I didn't know how to style hair either). And the fact that all my friends were straight haired didn't help, they also gave me bad advice, and I heard some people say my hair looked like a broom ;-; Although if it happened today, I'd tell them to **** off.
    Hennahead

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Yes, I have. My natural hair is black and straight, so when I was about 13 years old and had ~hip length hair, other kids would say I looked like the girl from The Ring movie. It made me so upset that I cut my hair to shoulder a couple of months later... And to be honest, to this day I hate my natural hair color.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Yes. I have very thick hair and didn't know how to take care of curls. "Bushy" "Wild" "You need to control it""need to straighten" etc. etc. Even hairdressers used to make fun of it ( #1reason I don't go to a hairdresser).

Type
    3a/M/ii

Sometimes I hate people.
    Or, well, a lot of the time, really.

I'm sorry that happened to you but it's great that now you don't care.

I can't say I've ever really been teased, though I've suffered nasty comments and complete strangers "boinging" my curls behind my back -- which, let me tell you, completely creeped me out and is probably a major part of the reason why I'm uncomfortable with people touching my hair now. I don't think I was ever called names.

EDIT: Those nasty comments? Some of them were rather original and downright cruel, but most of them were along the lines of what the previous poster said.

Length
    21"/30"/30"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I used to have wavy blonde classic length hair when I was young. People would make fun of me for it, saying it was ugly, scraggly, and too long. But I didn't care because my dream was to grow it to my feet. Then one day my bully came up behind me with big kitchen scissors and cut half of it off to the bottom of my neck the day I was supposed to go to a boy's birthday party because she wanted me to look bad, and I had to cut off the other side to match it. She would have cut more if I hadn't heard the cutting noises.

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I have oily hair, back when I was a kid they told me to use this type of shampoo that dried my hair out, used daily my hair turned even MORE oily. I got constantly teased and got told I could make money bottling oil my hair was so nasty (it sounded worse in the native language). Not by other kids at school, but my own family. Once my grandmother told me to dilute the shampoo with water to see if it dried my hair less (I was not allowed to use conditioner, they said my hair was too greasy) and when we sat down for dinner and everyone started to dig in me about how particularly grease my hair looked, I told them it felt dry and I just washed it that day with diluted shampoo and EVERYONE started to say that it wasn't clean, that I was so nasty ect ect. My grandmother was there, didn't even tell them she was the one who told me to do so. I was 10.

My hair when I grew up was always a battle. It wasn't until I moved in with my mother that I started to use conditioner, then by the time I got pregnant and had the bleach disaster I finally learned to care for it. My mother's reaction to that story was : "Who the hell doesn't use conditioner?!" but my family had pixie cuts and very short hair, I was the only one with long hair. I don't even know how I learned to braid I think a friend taught me in elementary on dolls. No one ever did my hair, it was either short or I had braided it myself.

The irony was that most of my classmates loved my hair long, and I used to get teased every time I had it cut. I think mostly because I hated it so much and they could see me very unhappy. Oh and that side of the family now has shoulder length hair, because you know it's "in fashion" and through the vineyard I heard that they couldn't believe how gorgeous my hair is .So ridiculous, I don't even wash my hair daily more like weekly now and I use a ton of conditioners and oils.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Wow Syaoransbear, that's awful :hug: I don't know how I would have reacted to that (probably cry a lot...)
    Hennahead

I've been there. I used to have this really short cut, and because of my hair texture, it flipped under in the front and out in the back. I'm STILL reminded of the "Duck cut" as it came to be called. And what was worse was it was my friends that made up that name and still laugh about it. Honestly, when I look back at pictures, it wasn't that bad, and I did kinda look cute with short hair, but that teasing hurt!! This is why I will NEVER have short hair again, ever. (Well, that and I ADORE buns!)