Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Ponytail -- How To

Length
    baby/ftl/knee
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Default High Ponytail -- How To

Hi, all!

I've searched the forum, but nothing with the words 'high' or 'ponytail' had what I was looking for. I'm sorry if this has been asked in the past!

This is my question: What's the best way to get hair into a high ponytail? Is it just practice? I can never get my ponytails as high as I want them without wearing out my arm muscles or ending up with hair lumps all over the place. I've seen people flip their heads forward and do it that way, but I've tried and I get such horrible tangles that I don't want to do it again! :

Of course, maybe high ponytails are bad for hair anyway.

How do you guys manage it?
    Lady Amberleaf Glimmerling, Daughter of Briskthicket and Keeper of the Glade

1 Peter 3:3,4

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: High Ponytail -- How To

I just keep brushing the hair upwards(using a paddle brush), and use a boar bristle brush to smooth everything out. It takes a bit of practice though! Especially the smoothing out process, definitely gives my arms a work out. :P

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

It takes practice and keep smoothing out the lumps.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    baby/ftl/knee
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

So it isn't necessary to flip your head over at all?

(which would be mighty reassuring)

ETA: I guess I need a lot more practice!
    Last edited by beryl; February 26th, 2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added more
    Lady Amberleaf Glimmerling, Daughter of Briskthicket and Keeper of the Glade

1 Peter 3:3,4

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

No it's not. You just have to keep brushing it upwards. I start with the hair at the nape of my neck, then the sides.

Length
    pixie/cbl/bsl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I do it on my daughters hairs like this (it's not me in this video). It's a video spoken in Dutch but you can follow the technique she uses: First make a half up and then include the bottom hair. Makes a firm ponytail that doesn't slide down easy during the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rXk9QatSi4

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I don't flip my hair generally. And I detangle, use my fingers to get my pony where it belongs and then brush out the tangles when I am done.

Length
    MBL/FTL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

An easy way to flip your head forward without tangling your hair so much is to gather your hair with one had at the nape of your neck and grab your ends with the other. Then you flip your head forward and move the hand with your ends over your head, letting go of the ends once your hair is at an angle that dangles naturally toward the floor. Ease the hand at the nape of your neck up toward the top of your head and let go. Use a brush to smooth your hair into a ponytail and tie it off. Then stand up normally. I hope that makes sense.

I'll usually flip my head like that if I want a really high ponytail, but otherwise, I just gather my hair about where I want it and smooth it into place with a brush.
    Wavy and loving it!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Honestly (like pretty much everything else) it's practice. I learned to make an acceptable looking ponytail around age 12 or so, after about 4 years of having hair long enough to ponytail. Admittedly, I wasn't the world's most coordinated kid, but that's not really an abnormally long time to take for learning either.

At this point after over 20 years of practice, I can get a nice looking high ponytail just by finger combing my hair. That's a pretty recent development, within the last couple years.

Length
    20/34/38
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I tend to scrap my top hair back, then add the bottom hair and smooth everything out with a brush. If I want it really high, I flip my head at this point (very gently and keeping control of my hair). Then very carefully run my hands back from my hairline to my ponytail allowing it to inch further up (or down since I'm upside-down) my head. Then I smooth out the sides and back with a brush before re-assessing and repeating the process if necessary. I know this involves flipping your head over which you don't like but it's more controlled than doing it at the start of the process. Good luck, like previous poster have said, it's all about practice!
    BSL...Waist ...Hip...TBL...Classic
    Lady Ailesthie of the oanluckit caayr Havaniora In the order of the long haired knights
    You tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbIeRwJ1NrulSHG_VgogRCA