Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breathing a huge sigh of relief! (Pic heavy)

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Red face Breathing a huge sigh of relief! (Pic heavy)

I've been putting off trimming my horrible split ends for like six months. I last trimmed about 9 months ago or so. The thing is, I wasn't as nice to my hair last summer as I should have been, and by mid-summer I knew I really needed to tend to my splits. But for one excuse or another, I managed to put it off until this past week. My hair was really damaged (just from mechanical damage and dryness), and almost every single hair was split. In those 9 months, I only gained 3 inches of length. To make things even more annoying, all those split hairs are a wild variety of lengths throughout... my overall length was 26.5" (BSL on me), but some hairs only reach my ears, and everything in between.

You can sort of see in this picture how fuzzy the last 6" or so of my hair was:

The funny thing was, most of the longest hairs were actually the few that were not split. I knew a microtrim would not really help me. I decided a very thorough S&D mission was the only way I could tend to my hair so it would stop breaking off, without cutting back to above APL again. I've been gaining length so slowly because of this, that those few inches are very precious to me!

I'm a kooky spiritual superstitious Moon-worshiper, so I started the mission on Sunday night, 2/10 after the New Moon left is void of course and settled into Pisces. I worked tirelessly and obsessive-compulsively on this all night, for over 6 hours, until the sun was coming up. I needed to work that afternoon, so I quit even though I had only finished the left half of my hair.

Goddess, the splits! This was one of the worst ones, though it wasn't unique in its style:

That day the Moon moved into Aries, so I waited until it passed on before continuing my mission. I spent another 6+ hours on the right half of my hair, this time on Saturday afternoon/evening, with the Moon a waxing crescent in Taurus. I finished up my S&D journey by evening out the ends a tiny bit using Feye's method.

After all was said and done, I measured my hair. I was prepared to have lost maybe an inch and a half--last time I did this almost a year ago, I lost 3" of length because the ends were so very damaged. But lo and behold--After all that, I only lost half an inch of length!! I'm still at BSL! But my hair looks a lot less fuzzy, and when I look through it the majority of the (still varied length) ends are blunt and healthy.

Here are a few awkward mirror pictures, trying to get the right angle to show the improvement, from a few minutes ago:

It feels SO GOOD to not have all those splits, and still be at BSL!! Do you understand my elation?? Lol!

I've been treating my hair with lots of moisture, oils and catnip, and I wear it up more during sleep and while doing active things these days too... so I'm really hoping this move will mean my growth will stop breaking off at the ends so fast, and that I'll actually reach waist well before another year goes by. Whenever the Moon is waxing, I'm going to make a habit of giving my sleep braids an S&D once-over before taking them out, to tend to any splits that do form. Once I get to waist, I'm planning on microtrimming and maintaining for a while to let all those shorter hairs catch up. It's really a pain in the neck to trim it the way I did this time--though I'm glad I finally did it and I'm super relieved it's over!!
    Last edited by Naiadryade; February 17th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Breathing a huge sigh of relief! (Pic heavy)

Hooray for healthy hair! It looks great!

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Wow! What a huge difference!!
    Taking an LHC break.

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Wow the difference is amazing, the condition of the hemline is much better in the after pics. You have a lot of hair, I can't imagine trimming each hair individually, the dedication to do that is impressive, but worth it to see that kind of improvement and only a half inch of length lost.

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

S&Ding all of your hair is quite the commitment, and the difference is amazing! I know I wouldn't have the patience to do that, your hair looks very healthy now.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

It's a big difference and the feeling of healthy hair is great.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    27"/35"/38"
    Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

That's awesome. I wish I had your patience

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Goodness, what an achievement! It also takes me hours and hours to thoroughly s&d, so I don't do it as often as I should. The time and effort required really keep me motivated to look after my hair properly, reducing the need for s&ding in the first place.

Length
    MBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Excellent job and totally worth it!

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Thanks, everyone! It's really good to hear from others that the difference is obvious. I'm not just imagining that my OCD is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlyn View Post
    ...You have a lot of hair...
    Thank you, what a nice thing to say! You'd be surprised how much my braid tapers, though. The waves bulk it up a bit when it's down. (This is why I like to wear it down so much, which is of course the problem here.) I can't wait until most of it is one length, so it's even thicker. When I reach my goal of tailbone, I'm going to have a big wavy mane that covers my whole back. I'm pretty stoked for this!

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    Goodness, what an achievement! It also takes me hours and hours to thoroughly s&d, so I don't do it as often as I should. The time and effort required really keep me motivated to look after my hair properly, reducing the need for s&ding in the first place.
    You're totally right. I'm really trying to take care of my hair well... My hair just splits so darn easily, and I really like to wear it down. I'm hoping the catnip treatments will have kicked in by now, and the damage won't come back so fast!
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!