Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you oil your hair?

Length
    16/29/42
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default How do you oil your hair?

So I finally took the plunge about two weeks ago and bought myself a jar of coconut oil. My dog hasn't stopped stealing it to try to break into it yet (so far no luck but I keep finding it in random locations around the house). I've been using it before every wash and so far I've definitely noticed an improvement. My ends were so horrible and dry I was sure I'd have to cut a few inches, now I'm feeling confident I don't have to do that. The skin on my legs is also much less itchy because I rub the leftover oil on my hands onto them, added bonus!

But I'm wondering how everyone else does their oiling. How much do you apply? I feel like I'm adding a ridiculous amount (probably at least 2-3tbsp all told) and then it feels dry a few moments later (especially once I braid it), is that just in my head? I keep adding oil and more oil and I feel like I'm over doing it and probably just wasting oil and potentially undermining the positives? Is too much harmful?

I usually get the oil liquified in my hands and then sort of vigorously rub it into a handful of hair which I'm SURE isn't a good idea, there is likely a better way I haven't thought of, any suggestions?

Also, do you think is it a good idea to oil before an ACV rinse shower, or is it just a case of the two cancelling each other out?

So -- what's your method?

2-5-2013, WL, 29" --- 3-1-2013, WL, 29" --- 1-20-2013, HL, 31-1/2"
    Goals: 32 - 38 - 42
    Estimated Completion: Jan 2014 - Jan 2015 - August 2015

Length
    SL21/CL27/GL68
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: How do you oil your hair?

Hi
    I use a little oil not toomuch 1tbs oil,becouse too much oil is hard to wash out. I hate then i put too much oils and my my hair looked greasy. And i use oil for my hair ends i use one drop. I have many types of oil. My favorite is coconut,avocado, olive oil and i use over oils....

Type
    3a/M/ii

I also use coconut oil. It's my favorite oil so far, though I've discovered almond oil works well for me, too. (I prefer the solidity and smell of coconut oil.) I've tried others and will probably continue to experiment, but coconut oil is really effective.

I sometimes add a little bit to the ends (scratching at the top of the jar, probably about half a teaspoon, melted between my hands) while wearing it down (not often, though). I kind of close my palms around my ends and work the oil through by gently "squeezing". I don't rub up and down, but do smooth my hand down over those last few inches. If I'm braiding or bunning it, though, I use more. 2-3 tablespoons, like you said, from the nape down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
    I feel like I'm adding a ridiculous amount (probably at least 2-3tbsp all told) and then it feels dry a few moments later (especially once I braid it), is that just in my head? I keep adding oil and more oil and I feel like I'm over doing it and probably just wasting oil and potentially undermining the positives? Is too much harmful?
    I don't think that's a ridiculous amount. Coconut oil soaks in well, but you still want to be careful not to overdo it. Same method -- I smooth it into my hair, always downwards, and squeeze until it's melted from the heat of my hands. (Often, I'll put the jar on the heater to warm it up, then scoop it out when it's half-solid half-liquid -- my favorite texture for coconut oil, so easy to apply).
    You could try using only a little and see how you like that. Because you could be wasting the oil. My first jar of coconut oil lasted me about a month. I've had my current jar for three months and it's not even half-empty yet. It's all about finding what works for you -- I experimented a lot before settling on the amount that makes hair soft, but not greasy.
    But there are no real dangers to really overdoing it. I deep oil all the time before a wash. You get stringy, lanky hair... but it feels very soft. And you're going to wash it out anyway. Go with what works for you.
    Also, do you think is it a good idea to oil before an ACV rinse shower, or is it just a case of the two cancelling each other out?
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any difference... I do an ACV rinse after every wash (for my scalp), and as I've said, I often deep oil before a wash. I suppose there are two schools of thought. Some people don't believe in pre-wash treatments.
    Oiling pre-wash or post-wash is a choice. They yield different results to different people. ^^ Again, if you think it's working, stick with it.

Type
    1c/2a/M/i

I use a tint brush, like the kind you apply hair dye with, to apply the melted coconut oil to my hair. I find it much easier to cover all my hair that way. I focus on the length and ends rather than the roots. It all gets covered anyway when I comb it through. I'm still figuring out the right amount to use though. But I love coconut oil!

I rinse with ACV after every wash, including my post-oiling wash. I haven't experianced any adverse effects thus far

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I buy the liquid kind and add it with other oils mix with water mist over my entire length.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

When I feel like my hair needs it, I slather my hair in coconut oil and sleep with it overnight. The next day I'll wash it out and I won't put anything else in my hair, including more oil, because I feel like there's leftover oil still in my hair. Some days I will put a little amount of coconut oil in my hair after a towel dry my hair as a leave in and it tames my hair nicely. Once a week I do a peppermint/apricot oil treatment and also sleep with that overnight and wash it out the next day. I also follow up with rosewater and spray that in my hair after a shower, because that also works as a nice leave in.

Over oiling won't be harmful to your hair, but it can definitely cause a lot of buildup, which then won't be good for your hair. Try not to rub it in your hair though, because the friction can damage it. What I do is just simply slide it down my hair between my hands, like as if you're wringing water out of your hair.

Remember that less is more! Good luck.
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Length
    16/29/42
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCurls View Post
    I sometimes add a little bit to the ends (scratching at the top of the jar, probably about half a teaspoon, melted between my hands) while wearing it down (not often, though).
    I definitely oil my hair when it's wet, just on the ends. I've started using the coconut oil but I think I may stick with my Argan oil for that, I feel like just a little covers more than a little coconut oil. Definitely can't put any oil on my hair dry unless I'm planning to put it up or wash it right after, my hair shows oil like crazy.

Length
    16/29/42
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Do you apply the oil to all of your hair at once (or in pigtails which I'm currently doing) or do you do it in small sections? I have medium hair, maybe even closer to fine, but there's a TON of it so I don't feel like I'm getting oil everywhere. o.o

It is heartening that so many people have a process similar to mine!

(I could definitely have edited my last post to add this. I have no idea why I didn't. Sorry.)

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Usually I oil my hair after it's mostly air-dried from my shower. I put almond oil on my scalp and sweetgrass essential oil on the last few inches. First I run my hands through it to get the oil on, then I comb it from the bottom up, half my hair at a time.

Since my hair tends to be dry, especially the ends, I've decided to start using almond oil on the bottom half whenever the ends get unusually sticky and crunchy. It soaks the oil up like a sponge.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
    I definitely oil my hair when it's wet, just on the ends. I've started using the coconut oil but I think I may stick with my Argan oil for that, I feel like just a little covers more than a little coconut oil. Definitely can't put any oil on my hair dry unless I'm planning to put it up or wash it right after, my hair shows oil like crazy.
    Really! That's funny. I can't oil wet, unless it's really a tiny little bit. My hair gets greasy. However, oil on dry hair is easier to "dose" out for me. Different people, different hair.

I add it to all my hair at once, unless I'm braiding, in which case I'll go section by section.