Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you wash your hair?

Default Where do you wash your hair?

It isn't easy to wash waist or longer length hair in a basin, is it ladies, so where and how do you all on this forum wash your hair?

Ideally I like to wash my hair in the shower, as it's a whole lot easier to rinse the shampoo & conditioner out of long hair, but I've been waiting a couple of years for my husband to replace our broken shower base so have had to wash my hair in the bathtub upstairs instead. The problem there is in rinsing properly; our old taps were stiff and difficult to turn off properly - especially the cold tap - unless I was prepared to rinse with scalding hot water (NOT!)

As I'v e had a stroke a few years back and on bad days don't have much use of my left hand, Mike has recently replaced the bath taps with nice lever taps which he says can be turned on & off with your feet if necessary ( ) - and which I find ever so much easier to turn on and off single-handedly. Now I can rinse the shampoo remains out of my hair properly, so hopefully no more itchy scalp!

Mind you, Mike's next DIY task is to get that shower base fitted.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Where do you wash your hair?

I use the shower, but I love it when I have access to a removable shower head. That makes rinsing the scalp so easy!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I usually keep a large plastic glass (say about 500-650mL?) in the bathroom so it's handy if I need help rinsing my hair. Rather than just pouring water over my hair to rinse, I gather my hair into a ponytail and just drop it into the glass of water. Obviously, one needs to leave some space for your hair, or you risk spills. It's possible you might need one of those more bucket like 1L plastic glasses if your hair is very thick or very long indeed, but you don't actually need tons and tons of water to rinse the length.

When I'm done rinsing the tail, I pick up the glass and hold it to my scalp, and then bend forward so I can use the same water to rinse my scalp.

Working this way, I can wash my hair with about 1.5-2L of water, even tho it's past waist length. I don't usually wash in such a careful way, but it's nice to have the option of clean hair even if I'm down to one hand or I need to be very careful about water use.

Depending on how the stroke has affected your mobility tho, this may or may not work for you. I know some posters use squeeze bottles like the ones for ketchup or hair dye application for diluting shampoo and applying it to their scalps, and that solution seems like it could be helpful for rinsing as well. It might be more attainable on bad days? I know strokes can cause a lot of coordination problems, and I'm sure that can't be fun.

Type
    1c/F/i

I wash in the shower. I have a removable shower head and it makes it so easy.

Type
    1c/2a/M/i

I wash in the shower. My mom has always washed her hair in the sink, and when I was young she tried several times washing mine in the sink but I always ended up with a bird's nest on my head I don't know how people do it!

Length
    29 "/33"/MORE
    Type
    1c/M/ii

In the claw foot bathtub, I have no shower. It works out fine, I use an enamel pitcher to get clean water from the tap and pour it over my hair. I'm not sure how this will work after tailbone, if I get that far. I think it will just get messier, I can stand up and do this with the pitcher but a lot more water ends up outside the tub.
    "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to these teachers" Kahlil Gibran.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

My hair is a couple inches from BSL, and I wash in the shower, I can see as it gets longer it might start becoming a pain because it gets really heavy when wet. On the other hand, I don't know of many different ways to wash my hair, doing it in the sink always seemed awkward for me, and I can't imagine doing it with even longer hair.
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Shower. Multiple showerheads and removables...one is essentially a water jet for scalp rinsing...the shower enclosure is pretty important!

I'll tell anyone who asks that having multiple independently controlled (movable) shower heads is probably the most useful and pleasant improvement to a fully functioning bathroom.

Length
    -Chin/BSL/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

I like the shower, although I don't have long hair I still find it much easier to wash my hair in the shower. However we've recently got a new shower head (no idea why, the old one was FINE, but my boyfriends mum wanted a nice new one ) and it's not as powerful as the last, so getting shampoo/conditioner out of my hair is now not so easy. It's like I'm standing in rain waiting for it to rinse out my hair :/
    -Chin ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ TB

Indigo-optimist.blogspot.com

Length
    21.5"/40.2"/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I wash my hair in the shower, the removable shower head is essential for getting my scalp clean.
    1b/F/M/iii APL~BSL~MBL~WL~Elbow~Hip~BCL~TBL 40" Finally!