Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FINE & THIN hair! Tips for moisture and to grow it longer!

Type
    1a/F/i

Red face FINE & THIN hair! Tips for moisture and to grow it longer!

Hey!

I apologise if there's already a topic about this, but I didn't find it when I searched.

According to the "Hair Type Classifier" my hair belongs to 1a/F/i
    It's very fine/thin with very dry ends. Here's a picture to give you an idea:

As you can see, the ends look dry and horrible. And I want to grow long hair! If I'm able to.
    I have not been to a professional hairdresser just because I'm broke, so I cut it myself.

My cutting procedure : (I only use sharp hair cutting scissors)

• Every other week, I cut up to half an inch of the ends if they look bad.
    • Now and then I go through my hair and only cut of the split ends and damaged strands of the hair. It takes time, but doing it this way prevents me from cutting too much.

Washing procedure:

• Since my hair is fine and flat with no volume, I have to wash it everyday, because the oils will make it even flatter and kinda stringy. Horrible looking.
    • I shampoo with Nature's Gate shampoo that I have dilutet with water a little bit ( I have the hemp and the jojoba one).
    • I condition with Tresemme Naturals (The one that is moisturizing)
    • Once a week I put some baking soda in my shampoo for extra cleaning and ph balance.

Now and then I use ACV-rinse after my shower

Deep moisturizing procedure:

• I've used virgin coconut oil as a deep moist. for months. Mainly in the ends, unfortunately my scalp gets too oily if I apply it on my roots.
    • The other day I tried to put extra vigin olive oil mixed with my conditioner as a deep moist. in my hair. Only on my ends!
    • Sometimes I use honey.

I'm gonna try to start washing my hair every other day and wear it up more often. Right now my hair is up in a pony tail, and i smoothed out the dry ends with a little bit of olive oil.

It would be interesting to hear from someone else with fine hair, about your hair care routines, and how you suceeded to grow out your hair!

Take care!

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/29/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: FINE & THIN hair! Tips for moisture and to grow it longer!

I have fine thin hair also. I am an ii but just barely. First off you are cutting off all your growth and then some. Most hair grows 1/2 inch a month. Also baking soda is very drying and way too high in ph (that's why most people rinse with vinegar after using baking soda to clarify). You are on the right track to start stretching washes. I use coconut oil on my ends as well as all over the night before I wash. I shampoo with a shampoo bar twice a week. Then a dilute vinegar rinse. Once a week I soak my hair in a catnip tea to condition and prevent split ends for an hour then rinse. I don't even use conditioner, just the catnip and vinegar rinses. I haven't trimmed in a year and 4 months. I have very few split ends and am getting 1/2 an inch per month growth. Happy growing!

Renegray, going for terminal.
    Lost in the midback abyss.
    ALMOST waist stretched!

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

It sounds like you are doing fine!
    Just try to enjoy it as much as you can (geez I need to listen to myself).
    Your diluted washing sounds good. I noticed that going Sulfate free/diluted made my hair not fall out which was awesome. It worked great for my fine hair.

The cutting routine sounds a bit much not going to lie. Most people only grow a half inch a month...so cutting that every other week will get you nowhere.

Trying to wear it up as much as you can helps too. It helps to forget about it and also to protect it.

I am probably a F/M myself. When you measured for your density did you bring as much hair as you possibly could to the top of your head in a pony tail? I know that sounds stupid but before I was measuring the ponytail at the base of my nape thinking my hair was absurdly thin but sure enough it was not. Measuring at the top adds a whole inch of thickness back.

I like doing deep treatments with conditioner and aloe gel in them. <3 so nice!

Coconut oil is so awesome to me! My hair loves it/soaks it up. I actually eat a small spoon of it in the mornings before coffee. You can use coconut oil (or any oil) as a pre-wash. Soak your hair in it for a half hour or an hour before washing.
    I do oil my scalp with castor oil (for growth) but I am boycotting scalp oiling for a week so I can pick it back up again and see if it makes me shed more or not.
    I also use a BBB )boar bristle brush( and many say that people with fine hair should not use them but I beg to differ!! I love that thing. It really does such a nice job and feels good on the scalp.

The way to get the best thickness is by having no layers.. Im working on growing mine out but its a slow process. I think I see layers in your hair.

Dont get too frustrated..it makes things easier if you don't stress about hair. Growing hair happens from the inside out, so make sure you get a well balanced diet, plenty of water and some activity.

I found that I have to wash every single day, and I really do not mind. I have accepted it. I get jealous hearing some here can stretch their washes even one day...or a whole week.
    Have you ever tried CO washing?? (just washing with conditioner) It works for me. I actually just did it today for the first time in months!

Anyway, Welcome!! The site just went under a big upgrade that is still in progress, so keep that in mind if some things are a little confusing or not working.
    Taking an LHC break.

Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ravenheather View Post
    I have fine thin hair also. I am an ii but just barely. First off you are cutting off all your growth and then some. Most hair grows 1/2 inch a month. Also baking soda is very drying and way too high in ph (that's why most people rinse with vinegar after using baking soda to clarify). You are on the right track to start stretching washes. I use coconut oil on my ends as well as all over the night before I wash. I shampoo with a shampoo bar twice a week. Then a dilute vinegar rinse. Once a week I soak my hair in a catnip tea to condition and prevent split ends for an hour then rinse. I don't even use conditioner, just the catnip and vinegar rinses. I haven't trimmed in a year and 4 months. I have very few split ends and am getting 1/2 an inch per month growth. Happy growing!
    Thank you for your reply!
    Oh, so I need to cut of all the ends that look dry or splitted! That's a shame, cause my hair is just beneath my shoulders. So, how much would be reasonable to cut off, if I'm cutting off 1/2 inch right now? Just everything that looks dead and split and dry? I really don't want to cut too much, since I don't think I look good in too short hair, haha. And I wanna do it myself, no hairdresser.

What is a shampoo bar? Are they more gentle to use? I don't think I've ever heard of them before!

Length
    APL/Hip!/BCL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My hair is quite thin and fine too.
    I think my success in growing it out long was complete benign neglect, I never really noticed the condition of my hair until about a year ago.
    I don't suggest cutting it off- saying it looks dry and damaged does not mean it is dry and damaged, it could be some sort of build-up. If you've been following your current cutting routine for a long time and have noticed no improvement in the condition, it's not exactly damaged, but you may be loading it with too much protein.

Grow your hair out without trimming for a while, and I strongly recommend stretching washes. My hair always looks dry the day I wash it unless I do ACV, the next few days it looks great. See how long it gets and see if what you think is damage really is damage.
    For the most part try to avoid ponytails since they can cause damage where the hairband is placed, and if not try to play around with the placement.

If you blowdry with low heat (under 50 degrees C) and flip your hair upside down while blowdrying you can add some extra volume. When I'm letting my hair dry I clip my front bangs back for a little bit, and when I take that out there's a little bit more volume right at the front.
    Also- mineral oil is a life-saver for tangly, thin-fine hair. Just a small drop spread throughout all your hair when it's damp.
    BSL MBL WL HL BCL TBL
    _________________________^Next stop; TBL!

Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elina View Post
    Thank you for your reply!
    Oh, so I need to cut of all the ends that look dry or splitted! That's a shame, cause my hair is just beneath my shoulders. So, how much would be reasonable to cut off, if I'm cutting off 1/2 inch right now? Just everything that looks dead and split and dry? I really don't want to cut too much, since I don't think I look good in too short hair, haha. And I wanna do it myself, no hairdresser.

What is a shampoo bar? Are they more gentle to use? I don't think I've ever heard of them before!
    To me it seemed like ravenheather was trying to say that you're cutting off too much hair if you want it to get longer (your hair won't be able to grow fast enough to "keep up" with all your trimming). It's really not necessary to trim every two weeks, nor is it necessary to trim off all the hair that looks dry. It's smart to do a s&d (search and destroy, i.e. look for the split hairs and cut them, like I see you've been doing) every once in a while, but the hair that is dry (and not split) isn't necessarily damaged. If I were you I'd drastically cut back on the baking soda, which is very drying, and if you do use it to clarify you should follow it up with an acidic rinse, such as diluted vinegar. Also, I don't know anything about the Nature's Gate shampoo, but if it contains sulphates it could be worth a shot to try a sulphate-free shampoo, which wouldn't be as drying. My hair used to be insanely dry, but it's not anymore now that I don't use sulphates.

Unfortunately, on the road to less dry hair, one sometimes has to go through a phase where the hair seems to look a bit greasy. Part of that is because your (general you) scalp is used to producing a lot of oil to try to compensate for the dryness, and part of that is (I'm guessing) that you're so used to seeing your hair look dry that as soon as it's not as dry anymore, it looks greasy to you because it's flatter and may seem "limp" in comparison.

ETA: a shampoo bar is what it sounds like; a bar of shampoo, almost like a bar of soap. I've never tried them myself because I somehow imagine that they'd leave build-up on my hair (not sure if that's true, though).

ETA2: If you try to stretch washes/cut out baking soda and/or sulphates and your hair does get a bit greasy and stringy/clumpy in the transition phase, you could try using a boar bristle brush to brush out the clumps and spread the sebum evenly throughout your hair.
    Last edited by Thinthondiel; January 25th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/29/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Thinthondiel: thanks for clarifying. That is what I was trying to say. I don't get buildup from my 'poo bars. They don't work for everyone though, particularly if you have hard water. I get mine from chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com. You can also try a really good water only rinse to help stretch washes.

Renegray, going for terminal.
    Lost in the midback abyss.
    ALMOST waist stretched!

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I don't have fine and thin hair with dry ends but when I joined this forum I had coarse and thick hair with dry ends. I was sure they were terribly damaged, but I didn't cut them off and they have improved a lot. so I suggest that, like the others above, that the first thing you do is resist the urge to cut or trim ANYTHING off for maybe three months, that would help you to see where you actually are. I also second the advice to forget the baking soda. Read the advice in the articles on how to wash--you may not be washing correctly. I wasn't. I was rubbing my hair on top of my head with water that was too hot. And I was using way too much shampoo. Now I do CWC and hardly use shampoo at all. Try different methods of washing your hair, such as conditioner only, condition-wash-condition, maybe even water only and see what leaves your hair with the most moisture. Try the suggestions like drying your hair only with a cotton t-shirt, not a towel and sleeping on a satin pillowcase. Doing both these things really helped me retain moisture. Try different oils (you are right to start with coconut, but it can be a culprit, it can give some people crunchy ends, olive may be a better choice for you). And most of all, don't try all these things at once. Only try one at a time (well, you can start with the cotton t-shirt and satin pillow case at once) and keep a record of what works and what doesn't. And try the same thing for several weeks, not just one time. Gradually your hair will get better and you will see what did it. You will also see how bad the condition of your ends really is--it may not be as bad as you think. You may be able to dust them slowly and retain some length. Your hair is short not because of your ends but because you are overcutting!
    HTH

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

You may find this thread useful!

The Thin/Fine Hair Thread
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=17115
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I second the coconut oil recommendations. I have fine hair so I put coconut oil on my ends every night, I can't wear it or any other oil during the day as it makes my hair feel crunchy and look oily. I conditioner only every time I get in the shower. I wash with a mix of coconut & shampoo every second day otherwise my hair goes too greasy. I do find my hair looks thicker after a shampoo because it is more 'airy' around each strand and they (strands) don't cling together as much. My hair always feels silky smooth too
    Last edited by Allychan; January 26th, 2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: grammar