Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakouts and MSM

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Breakouts and MSM

After a week of my MSM (containing red kelp, Vitamin C, Zinc, Copper, too), I noticed I started having pimples and blackheads in normally clear zones - top of the cheeks, eyebrows (weird) and forehead. I'm used to "cistic" kind of breakouts expecially on chin and jawline, less and less since I've turned 20 and started with glycolic acid creams. These breakouts I'm having instead are sore, superficial, hot to the touch. They look and feel different, and more importantly they came all at the same time, which is very rare.
    My scalp, problematic but almost perfect after switching to no-sulfate shampoos, all of sudden is flakey and waxy like on the verge of a dandruff crisis.

I'm in the part of the month in which my skin is usually the clearest. I've been just informed that my anemia and my hormonal imbalance are solved. Before taking the supplements averything was on check and I'm not picking my face, I swear.
    Possible alternative culprits are the stress and my glycolic acid cream. I rotate two different products that I'm actually fond of since a long time, and these days I've switched to the lighter one. Switching products always causes some imbalance to the skin, as far as I know. And obviously, it may be the supplement but not the MSM... even if, the problem will be the same .

The msm dose is 1 gr per day, but I usually took 500 mg because my stomach wasn't alright. The seller is a good person as far as I can tell, but she said MSM is really good for pimple-prone skins... it seemed logic to me, since it's sulfur.

Note: I can distinctly tell that the MSM is already working, because my body hair is growing like crazy (obviously not my hair, lol, go figure ), my eyelashes are strangely wowza and my hair is falling less than usual (this last thing was the reason I bought msm)... something very noticeable, since I shaved like three times more than usual.

I think the best thing is to stop MSM and see if the breakouts go away. Then, when I can exclude other culprits, start MSM again and check if it gives me the same reaction.
    Obviously I'm not asking for medical consulence, nor I expect anyone to have a magic wand to solve my problem, just some information on your experiences... I'd like to figure if it will probably end up worse or if there's any chance it will go better.
    Thanks
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:26 AM.

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Breakouts and MSM

My suggestion would be to make sure that you are drinking a lot of water. A lot of people taking hair vitamins (like biotin for example) report having breakouts. Once they have upped their water intake, the problem seems to go away.
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    15"/28"/35"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I have been taking the 500mg dose of msm for a few months now. Fortunately I didn't notice any new breakout activity, however I most certainly did with biotin. Everyone's chemistry is different, so for you it very well could be the msm (or any number of the other things.)
    May I ask how long and often you've been using the glycolic acid cream? I'm a skin care therapist, and what you're describing (being hot to the touch) almost sounds like it could be areas of irritation, almost like a rash. Of course I can't diagnose anything, but just in case don't rule that option out.
    -XX

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

rock007junkie, I'll try and its a very good idea, even if I usually hydrate myself well.

Xxanderia, I was taking a 10% glicolic acid gel as a night cream on my T-zone, now I switched to a quite moisturizing light cream made by helix aspera muller extract, basically a chemical-free version of the much more famous Elicina. I used the 10% glycolic gelsince november. Since this other cream is actually much gentler than the first, I don't think is the culprit, but I will keep an eye on it. The sore spots are made by irritated pimples, as far as I can tell...
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; January 23rd, 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I take MSM regularly and do not have breakouts. However, you might try eliminating the kelp, as it contains iodine, which makes my face breakout.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Kelikea, I didn't know that! Thank you very much, maybe sometime in the future I will give a second chance to MSM alone... Now I'm struck into disposing the product I have now, without wasting it.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I do ok with kelp or spirulina if I don't do it every day. Maybe try spacing your supplement to every other day and see if it helps your skin. Or stop taking it until your skin clears, then try every other day and see if it breaks out again. I'm taking my multi every other day, and it contains iodine, but my skin is ok so far. When I used to take it daily, it would get all red and break out.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Good to know, hopefully I will be fine taking less of it too. But yes, I prefer letting my skin adjust a bit before...

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Hmn, I've been kind of interested in trying MSM because I've heard it has some amazing benefits for the skin in addition to the hair. Besides the breakouts, have you seen improvement in your skin's texture/tone/etc? the hair benefits were actually something I was unaware of. Maybe I might look into taking this...I already take biotin and have had some pretty good success with my nails and lashes.

~maborosi~

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I don't notice any difference in my skin or hair while taking msm. I take it for my knee.