Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!: What to do when your scalp HATES oils?

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Question Help!: What to do when your scalp HATES oils?

Does anyone out there have a similar problem?

I found out about this 'fact' by trying to use shampoo bars instead of a good ol' shampoo, which ended up in a major, I repeat, major, shed. The poo bars were chock full of different oils and I didn't connect my scalp's intolerance to conditioners to possible issues with oils present in poo bars.

So, what do you do to moisturize and care for your scalp if it hates oils and conditioners?

Btw, my scalp is extremely sensitive and naturally more on the dry side, which often ends up in itchiness, irritation, etc. Washing my hair as little as possible was one way I brought the dryness, flakiness and itchiness down, but I feel like I need to do something extra especially now in winter and I'm too scared to use oil for fear of further shedding.

Halp, plz!

Thanks for all suggestions, experiences, etc. And apologies if there are threads like this already out there ...

One stitch at a time ...

Length
    20.5/21.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Help!: What to do when your scalp HATES oils?

I'm the same.i shed a ton more if I oil my scalp. I just stretch washes as much as I can and use a boar bristle brush to massage my scalp and move oils down. It really limits what we can do... I also like henna/ cassia treatments for dandruff. Cassia you can keep on for a short time so it doesn't cause hair fall for me
    Goal is hip!!

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Aloe Vera Gel. Moisturizing. Good for hair. Win win.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I shed tons when I oil my scalp or if I go too long without washing. I can, however, use light conditioners on my scalp, which is great, since I CO. But once I notice that I'm shedding more than usual, it's time to shampoo, or else!

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    Aloe Vera Gel. Moisturizing. Good for hair. Win win.
    Yes! AVG! Thanks! Do you also have this issue with oil? Just curious.
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    Waist/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I shed kittens if I oil my scalp, seriously it looks like I'm gonna go bald! It's not a problem with my natural sebum though, I can stretch washes without this issue.

Hoping for Classic by June 2014

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Lauram - Thanks! I also use henna and cassia. I've used deep oiling method before, but only about once a month or once every couple of months, so it never really caused any sheds, but this poo bar experiment just poo pooed it all

Annibelle - I also noticed that leaving my hair greasy makes it shed more - plus it makes my scalp itch like hell. What is up with that? Gr. And I wanted to try WO ... guess not after this experience I can't CO, I tried, even with the lightest conditioner I could find ... it didn't make me shed since I didn't use it long enough, but it did make my hair too greasy, which didn't work towards my 'stretching-washes' goal, so I abandoned that experiment very early on.
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Sarelis - Interesting. I've stretched my washes as far as twice per week. Diluted shampoo once a week and then WO once a week. Sometimes it lasts even longer than 7 days - max 10 - sometimes I don't make it a whole week between shampoo washes - depends on how much I handle my hair and how much conditioner I use. What do you use to condition/moisturize your scalp?
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    Chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/ii

Hi henné!

Which oils have you noticed with the irritation? Did you notice shedding and dryness with both conditioners and oils? Which shampoo bar did you use and do you have the ingredient list? Is it possible you're reacting to added fragrance or essential oils or some other ingredient(s) that may have been present in all of these items?

My scalp became infernally itchy with Tropic Isle's Jamaican Black Castor Oil and I believe I experienced increased shedding, and if I remember correctly coconut oil clogged my scalp. My scalp however gets along famously with products that include these oils. Also vegetable glycerin and other humectants in great amounts seems to cause shedding and tangles and evil in my hair and I find them in a lot of shampoo bars and conditioners.

I don't add anything to my scalp, my scalp is dry as well, it makes a loud noise when scratched but is generally fine. I use oils and pomades on my hair and occasionally massage my scalp after having added these oils but mostly my scalp stays oil free. I also don't use conditioner and do WO pretty often and like the results.

I know a curly blogger who uses aloe in place of oil to moisturize her strands, not her scalp as far as I know, though perhaps adding an aloe like LOTD, will calm and moisturize your scalp.
    Last edited by Astraea; January 18th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by henné View Post
    Yes! AVG! Thanks! Do you also have this issue with oil? Just curious.
    Not the issues you do, no. My shedding is in cycles and no product seems to make it wore or better. Basically I shed awful every other year. That's life.

My scalp issues are the painful, scabby crusty things once in awhile. I have yet to figure out what exacerbates it or why it goes away sometimes (I am suspecting chelating poo helps but the jury is still out). I use Pantene S&C normally, so sulfates, cones, the works. I do have a leave-in I use, a serum that has oils but it never touches my scalp. It just smooths my up-dos and smells heavenly, which is the real reason I do it. It makes my hair greasy just like every oil I have ever tried. Currently my scalp is great. Whatever, maybe it is the dry-er weather.

I pretty much don't use oils. I do on my skin (not my face). My skin does OK with certain oils (avacado, jojoba).

I dilute AVG in water and spritz it on my hair as hairspray or to set my braids for braid waves or just when it feels dry. AVG is also the only thing that helps my acne and does not cause break-outs. Oiling my scalp inevitable led to break-outs. Good luck.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018