Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    No problem and thank you for your answer! But it's true I already knew these and sometimes use too. Right now fenugreek is my great finding! And is not difficult to prepare either. But for the ends oil is stronger help. But I love fenugreeks too, and I add some vinegar to my fenugreek rinse too I wish that I still find time for catnip and senna tea too. But now I must play sure game, because I had a very traumatic experience with horrible tangles and now I must some time use products/ingredients that I know they work good with my hair.

Aloe Vera would be super too but they sell very tiny aloe veras in my country and that makes things complicated...
    Aloe vera is a weed. I had it all over the yard when I lived in California. From a single cutting you might be able to grow your own and then some
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    WL/HL/KL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Bump! Was doing a quick search of the literature on oils and found this open access paper:

Title: "Hair Oils: Indigenous Knowledge Revisited"
    Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9231528/

Compares a few different oils and their place in haircare. Not a bad read, pretty layperson-friendly language, and there are links to further studies for those interested.
    - I will cut my hair once I am defeated in battle -
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    12/28.35/40
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

What about pumpkin seed oil?

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I did some good amount of research and found that Rosemary, Pumpkin Seed, Castor and Fenugreek oils are the best for promoting new hair growth. Avocado and Jojoba oils are best for moisturizing hair.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rudderbird View Post
    I did some good amount of research and found that Rosemary, Pumpkin Seed, Castor and Fenugreek oils are the best for promoting new hair growth. Avocado and Jojoba oils are best for moisturizing hair.
    Amla, brahmi, Bhringraraj, hibiscus, coconut.... Too for hair growth.
    Coconut, argan and almond for ends too.
    SHAVED june 2020 ~ MBL ~ goal WL
    On the floating, shapeless oceans
    I did all my best to smile

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I've spent so much money on jojoba, rosemary & mint, and even the olaplex hair oil recently and i think my hair still prefers EVOO from the grocery store. Oh well, I'll mix them I suppose
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

I started oiling my hair using a blend of oils. I love it, but once I am finished with the blend (end 2024 - I made too much) I may try some other oils.

The Herbal Hair Oil Recipe

3/4 Cup organic unrefined coconut oil, melted over a low heat on the stove
    3/4 cup organic cold-pressed olive oil
    5 tbs organic unrefined castor oil
    1 tbs organic cold-pressed neem oil *optional but recommended
    1/2 cup fenugreek seeds, freshly ground in a coffee grinder
    3 tbs henna powder
    3 tbs amla powder
    1-4 tsp MSM powder *
    7-10 drops pure rosemary essential oil
    7-10 drops pure peppermint essential oil
    7-10 drops pure lavender essential oil
    7-10 drops pure tea tree essential oil

Directions

In a large glass jar, combine the coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, and neem oil. Gently mix with a spoon. Carefully add in the rest of the herbs, stir, and then add the essential oils before giving a final stir.

Let the jar of oil steep in a dark place for 1-3 weeks. The herbal powders will sink to the bottom, so for the first few days you may want to gently stir the jar of oil once or twice a day to encourage the herbs to release their properties into the oil base.

The herbs will sink to the bottom of the jar, making this easy to pour off into separate applicator bottles.

How Long Will the Oil Last? How to strain it?

Once the oil is finished steeping, the herbal ingredients will have settled to a layer at the bottom. You can choose to strain this out, but it isn’t necessary. Instead, you can carefully pour off some of the oil from the top of the jar into an amber glass dropper bottle for use on your scalp and hair. Keep pouring off into a smaller bottle until the oil is all finished and there is only herbal sediment left.

If you do prefer to strain it, I would recommend allowing the oil to steep for three weeks, then pouring the oil through either a nut milk bag or fabric coffee strainer into a separate jar.

I personally don't worry about keeping this oil in a dark cupboard for long periods of time, as there is no water content to cause bacterial growth, and I don't put my hands into this jar. All of the essential oils and herbs are also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. However, depending on your own comfort level, you may want to use up your oil in a shorter period of time! My rather lenient rule of thumb would be to use it up in at least 6 months, but you could choose to be more conservative and use it up in a month or two.

Source: https://www.katherinesewing.com/post...is-stuff-works

Add to say - I have baby fine hair. I do an oil treatment to scalp and length once per week. I shampoo with homemade tallow shampoo bars once per week. It takes two goes to get the oil out. I use argan oil post poo.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I haven't oiled my hair much for years. I've gone back to oiling recently. My hair is very slippery and oils increase the drag and make it easier to put up. My favorite oil for increasing the grip is meadowfoam oil. Although nearly every oil would do if I don't want them to "do" anything other than sitting on top of my hair. The exception is coconut oil. It's almost never warm enough in my house for it to be liquid and it can feel unpleasant on my hair.

I think the longer and older my hair gets, the more important oils become to my hair. They are the only ingredient that don't give me crunchy ends. For some reason this happens me easier now when my hair is longer than ever before. Even conditioners and aloe vera gel might do that, if I don't manage to rinse them out totally (I still must test fresh aloe vera right out of the plant). I'm happy there are oils

Anyway I also use acv or some other vinegar rinse for shine.
    Last edited by Priska; January 27th, 2024 at 02:09 AM.