Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Default The Hair Oils Thread

I've done a tiny bit of research on various oils that are used on hair. I thought I would present the modest amount I've learned and let the rest of you add on with your information. This should help people decide what oils might work best for them and why.

One thing I know about coconut oil is that it is said to help prevent protein loss when washing hair. Therefore it seems a good oil to use in your hair the night before or at least as a pre-treatment about an hour before shampooing.

As far as different oils working better for certain hair types, I wonder how much of it has to do with how the oils works on the hair. Some oils penetrate the hair shaft and other oils sit on top. These are the oils and qualities that I know so far.

Striaght chain glycerides that penetrate:
    Coconut
    Olive
    Avocado
    Palm Kernel
    Camellia
    Sweet Almond
    Castor Oil

Oils that partially penetrate:
    Meadowfoam seed

Polyunsaturated oils that sit on top of hair:
    Jojoba
    Sunflower
    Grapeseed
    Sesame
    Broccoli Seed

If one is wanting an oil to fortify the hair strand somewhat, then it seems one of the oils in the first classification might be best. If one is trying to seal moisture in or keep humidity out, then I wonder if one of the oils in the latter class might be best. If one wants to do both, then it seems that a light oiling with an oil in the first class, followed by a light sheen of an oil from the second class might be what is called for.

Anyway, I think this might give you all some things to consider when figuring out how to use oil for your hair routine. Anyone with something to contribute to this thread is encouraged to add what you know. If we get enough of a body of new information I will try to incorporate it into this first post so that people searching for this information won't have to wade through a long thread to find what they need.
    Last edited by Silver & Gold; August 29th, 2008 at 05:56 AM.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Oh, great thread idea

I'd like to offer up some of the hair oil polls I made, where users voted on what worked long term and what didn't work. If we come up with a substantial list of new oils that I don't have on the polls, I can always make another one and add it to the index of polls

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Oh! Silver&Gold, you RULE!! I've been complaining and begging for basic intel for keeping my mop out of my face!! I finally realized I had been using "cones" and stripped it from my hair 2 days ago...my hair feels so much lighter! However, the ends are trashed (something the cones had been hiding) so I need an oil....but after reading dozens of posts, I began thinking of taking on a second job so I support my hair habit!

You just took all of the work out of it. Bless you (really) and your hair and your day and your life!!!!!

Length
    21/~28/33
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Awesome thread- thank you so much! I've been reading about oils like a mad woman trying to find the info on what oils penetrate so I can moisturize & control my mop. Now I can stop reading & start oiling like a mad woman!

This is very useful. Thanks. I have been using jojoba oil in deep conditioning treatments. But from looking at this, I guess jojoba should be used as a leave in instead.
    Do you know what category sesame seed oil falls in?

Perhaps you can speak to the MODS of this board and get this info added to the Hair Article that I authored initially but that quite a number have been adding to over the years in the ARTICLES section of this site.

I think this useful info.

I heard a rumour that Coconut Oil can help to preserve color. Who knows if this is so????

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Quote Originally Posted by lind01 View Post
    Do you know what category sesame seed oil falls in?
    I just looked it up and found that it is seems to fall in the last category so I added it there in my original post.

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Thumbs up Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Great Idea for a thread S&G. I always wondered which oils were better for sealing and penetrating

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Very good information to know. Thank you.

I'm adding Palm Kernel oil to the penetrating oils.

If anyone comes up with the science to dispute what I've posted so far, let me know. I'm not a scientist, I'm just trying to gather up what I've found and put it in one thread.