Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 576

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

  1. #561
    Member JasminxCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    724
    Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    Iím wondering if I should try almond oil. My hair needs very light oils as itís prone to greasiness. I oil before bed- lately itís been almost every day- to help with frizz and dry ends. Currently I use baby oil but I have been curious about switching to sweet almond oil. I already have some I use to make homemade lip balm. Has anybody used almond oil as a leave-in? Is it too heavy? Does it do anything for frizz and dryness?
    It's not too heavy for me. I only use 1-2 drops on dry hair, or 2-4 drops on fresh wet hair if I'm not using any other products. It spreads easily, helps tame frizz and dryness. If it doesn't work for you, you can always use it for skin. I love to mix it into lotion with my palms, it makes regular moisturizers 10x more effective

  2. #562
    Member maddie9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    36
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    I just joined LHC and one of the first pieces of advice I got here was to try using sweet almond oil on my fine hair instead of heavier oils like argan... I was convinced that I would never be able to use any oils on my hair because they make it look wet and stringy, and my scalp shows through like crazy in some areas around my temples. I tried almond oil today and it's a game changer. I just used about 3 drops on my ends, and now about 6 hrs later it seems to have fully absorbed into the hair... you can't even tell it's there from looking. In terms of frizz I think it has smoothed the ends out and they definitely feel less dry and rough to the touch. If you have it anyway I would say to give it a shot!

  3. #563
    Member The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    25
    Posts
    970
    Length
    ./FTL/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    I've tried lots of oils and each of them, besides coconut oil, just built up on my hair. It's weird. After only 1 use my ends became dry and straw-like. I've never had that happen with coconut oil. I've used them all up as makeup remover. Jojoba, sweet almond, evoo, corn, emu, rosehip, argan, sunflower, apricot kernel, shea butter - all meh.
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

  4. #564
    Member Kibrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Everywhere, traveling the USA.
    Posts
    177
    Length
    26 in/30 in/32 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    I have tried almond oil in the past and it was just ok. Not bad, but not amazing. So I didn't try it again for awhile. My hair has been really dry lately so I decided to try oiling it again. This time, out of laziness, I just grabbed my body oil I mix up for my skin. It works amazingly well! I am so pleased with it. It's a base of avocado with evoo, shea butter, borage oil, and vitamin e. My hair is so soft and easier to comb. I just added a bit of sunflower oil to the mix so I hope my hair still likes it.

  5. #565
    The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,611
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    I have tried almond oil in the past and it was just ok. Not bad, but not amazing. So I didn't try it again for awhile. My hair has been really dry lately so I decided to try oiling it again. This time, out of laziness, I just grabbed my body oil I mix up for my skin. It works amazingly well! I am so pleased with it. It's a base of avocado with evoo, shea butter, borage oil, and vitamin e. My hair is so soft and easier to comb. I just added a bit of sunflower oil to the mix so I hope my hair still likes it.
    Surprise products are fun! I accidentally bought a shea/lavender oil blend about a month ago and added it into my routine because I was too lazy to bring it back and I hate to waste. My hair really likes it and it smells lovely. I only use ~10 drops every 2-3 days, so its going to last me forever!
    ~~~~~~
    I've been mixing shea, coconut, and sweet almond oil as my pre-wash oil treatment and I can feel a noticeable difference in the condition of my ends. I washed my hair kind of last minute the other day and didn't oil first, once it was dry my ends felt so much drier than with my usual routine. Kinda nice to know I'm doing something right.

  6. #566
    Member Kibrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Everywhere, traveling the USA.
    Posts
    177
    Length
    26 in/30 in/32 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Surprise products are fun! I accidentally bought a shea/lavender oil blend about a month ago and added it into my routine because I was too lazy to bring it back and I hate to waste. My hair really likes it and it smells lovely. I only use ~10 drops every 2-3 days, so its going to last me forever!
    ~~~~~~
    I've been mixing shea, coconut, and sweet almond oil as my pre-wash oil treatment and I can feel a noticeable difference in the condition of my ends. I washed my hair kind of last minute the other day and didn't oil first, once it was dry my ends felt so much drier than with my usual routine. Kinda nice to know I'm doing something right.
    I just tried pre poo oiling today. I noticed a difference in my hair for sure. It's much softer and smoother. I just used coconut oil. It was quite interesting at first, it was chilly this morning so my hair got a little stiff, had to bun it to keep it warm.

  7. #567
    Member foreveryours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Where no man has gone before
    Posts
    615
    Length
    scalp/50/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    I just tried pre poo oiling today. I noticed a difference in my hair for sure. It's much softer and smoother. I just used coconut oil. It was quite interesting at first, it was chilly this morning so my hair got a little stiff, had to bun it to keep it warm.
    That's the only drawback of coconut oil I've found, it's not very good when it's cold. So ... a long time ago, remembering something of colligative properties from high school chemistry, I got the brainy idea of trying to lower its freezing point by combining it with mineral oil. Only it didn't work as expected, the coconut oil just crystallized out from the mineral oil just forming a slushy mix. So much for Science lol
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???



  8. #568
    Member Kibrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Everywhere, traveling the USA.
    Posts
    177
    Length
    26 in/30 in/32 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    That's the only drawback of coconut oil I've found, it's not very good when it's cold. So ... a long time ago, remembering something of colligative properties from high school chemistry, I got the brainy idea of trying to lower its freezing point by combining it with mineral oil. Only it didn't work as expected, the coconut oil just crystallized out from the mineral oil just forming a slushy mix. So much for Science lol
    Sorry your experiment didn't work, but that is really interesting.

  9. #569
    Member JasminxCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    724
    Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Recently started using babassu oil and it's my new favorite. It's like a more penetrating, less oily, coconut oil that does not give a crunchy feel. If I ever decide to get more oils I would just stock up on babassu because it's literally all the benefits in one.. I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone, to at least try it. It makes my hair so much more soft and manageable
    Last edited by JasminxCat; April 18th, 2021 at 12:13 AM.

  10. #570
    Member Neoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    62
    Posts
    9,361
    Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Recently started using babassu oil and it's my new favorite. It's like a more penetrating, less oily, coconut oil that does not give a crunchy feel. If I ever decide to get more oils I would just stock up on babassu because it's literally all the benefits in one.. I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone, to at least try it. It makes my hair so much more soft and manageable
    Thank you for your recommendation, JasminxCat! I dearly love coconut oil, but "less oily" sounds very intriguing.

    Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •