Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Thank you so much guys. I do have some grapeseed oil on hand, so I might give that a shot. Coincidentally, today I had my first good hair day in a long time after trying a new routine, so I'm going to stick with it for a couple more weeks to see if the good hair days continue. If so, hallelujah, and I'll just keep with it. Otherwise I will give this oil thing a shot.

My hair has also historically looked bad with oil as a styling product, but I haven't given up yet with still many to try.

I've heard that a few drops of mineral oil is great as a sealant. I will definitely be giving that a shot as well.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - SL - APL - MBL

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Hope this isn't too lazy of me to ask (since I can probably read this whole thread to find out) but what is a good oil for thinner strands? I have a lot of fine-ish hair, very poofy, and I'm using silicones right now, but I'm wondering if switching to a very lightweight oil would be better for the long-term health of my hair? I have no idea if there is even a difference, but I tend to like stuff without fragrance, and so I've just been putting up with the fragrance in my silicone serum.

I've heard jojoba oil is good, but would that be the best to not make hair weighed down and oily looking? My hair also tends to look a shade darker when oily, so that is something I like to avoid as well.
    stardust lady, safflower, sunflower, and canola oils are also light oils. I particularly like safflower.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I found some pure sweet almond oil at one of my local grocery stores so I snatched it up and put it in my hair almost immediately after I got home. I BBB'd before and will definitely need to wash, probably CWC later tonight. I don't know what it is about sweet almond oil, but my hair just loves it.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(21")~BSL(25")~WL(27")~HL(30")
    Last cut 11 Jan '21 ~ Last dye 29 Apr '21

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    stardust lady, safflower, sunflower, and canola oils are also light oils. I particularly like safflower.
    Thanks, Neoma! I'll add that to the list of things to try. My "good hair day" almost immediately started getting rough and frizzy after that last post of mine, so I'm back to the drawing board.

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

So I tried the grapeseed oil, just a couple drops finger combed through the ends, and I have to say I like it better than my serum. It has kept my hair from frizzing, puffing up, etc. and I haven't had to reapply it at any point. I especially enjoy the fact that there is no discernable fragrance to my hair now, and the feeling and look of the hair appears slightly healthier. I think this might be because I used less overall product when using the grapeseed oil than I did with silicone serum (like 3x less, or more) to achieve the same result, so there is less product on the strands themselves, maybe making it appear better. I don't know, just a theory. But anyways, thumbs up.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Iím wondering if I should try almond oil. My hair needs very light oils as itís prone to greasiness. I oil before bed- lately itís been almost every day- to help with frizz and dry ends. Currently I use baby oil but I have been curious about switching to sweet almond oil. I already have some I use to make homemade lip balm. Has anybody used almond oil as a leave-in? Is it too heavy? Does it do anything for frizz and dryness?

Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    Iím wondering if I should try almond oil. My hair needs very light oils as itís prone to greasiness. I oil before bed- lately itís been almost every day- to help with frizz and dry ends. Currently I use baby oil but I have been curious about switching to sweet almond oil. I already have some I use to make homemade lip balm. Has anybody used almond oil as a leave-in? Is it too heavy? Does it do anything for frizz and dryness?
    I absolutely LOVE sweet almond oil, I use about 2-3 drops on my length (currently ~SL) the night before I wash as an overnight treatment and my hair soaks it up. I also use it in my pre-wash treatments with coconut oil and shea oil.

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    I tried it prior to trying grapeseed oil and it was too heavy for me, the grapeseed oil was perfect and continues to be perfect. But definitely recommend trying the almond oil because it works well for many and it is great for your body if you don't end up using it on your hair.

Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    I tried it prior to trying grapeseed oil and it was too heavy for me, the grapeseed oil was perfect and continues to be perfect. But definitely recommend trying the almond oil because it works well for many and it is great for your body if you don't end up using it on your hair.
    ^this. I use it on my husband's arms, he has eczema that is exasperated by the hard water we have here. It has worked a charm on reducing the redness, I just have to do it each time he gets out of the shower.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(21")~BSL(25")~WL(27")~HL(30")
    Last cut 11 Jan '21 ~ Last dye 29 Apr '21

Length
    CBL/WL/TBD
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Just picked up some Hask Argan Oil 5-in-1 Leave-In Spray, hoping for some nice slip. I realize its only like 1% oil, but I prefer lighter products for my hair anyways!
    29"
    Thinking Long Hair Thoughts