Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

I accidentally bought shea oil instead of sweet almond oil today. My laziness won out and I didn't want to go back in to switch it out. I guess we'll see how I like it, it also has lavender oil mixed with it so it does smell nice at least.

Lots of helpful info in this thread. Thank you!

I'm trying to find Jamaican black castor oil, and there's a lot of listings on Amazon but when you read the reviews I've seen over and over that they're cut with other oils. So would any of you know a source for pure JBCO that's not diluted?

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneH View Post
    I'm trying to find Jamaican black castor oil, and there's a lot of listings on Amazon but when you read the reviews I've seen over and over that they're cut with other oils. So would any of you know a source for pure JBCO that's not diluted?
    Sally's Beauty Supply sells it.

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Hope this isn't too lazy of me to ask (since I can probably read this whole thread to find out) but what is a good oil for thinner strands? I have a lot of fine-ish hair, very poofy, and I'm using silicones right now, but I'm wondering if switching to a very lightweight oil would be better for the long-term health of my hair? I have no idea if there is even a difference, but I tend to like stuff without fragrance, and so I've just been putting up with the fragrance in my silicone serum.

I've heard jojoba oil is good, but would that be the best to not make hair weighed down and oily looking? My hair also tends to look a shade darker when oily, so that is something I like to avoid as well.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - SL - APL - MBL

Type
    1a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Hope this isn't too lazy of me to ask (since I can probably read this whole thread to find out) but what is a good oil for thinner strands?
    Though I haven't tried jojoba, I've found grapeseed oil to be one of the lighter oils when compared to almond and argan. These 4 seem to be the commonly-recommended oils for fine hair.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hope this isn't too lazy of me to ask (since I can probably read this whole thread to find out) but what is a good oil for thinner strands? I have a lot of fine-ish hair, very poofy, and I'm using silicones right now, but I'm wondering if switching to a very lightweight oil would be better for the long-term health of my hair? I have no idea if there is even a difference, but I tend to like stuff without fragrance, and so I've just been putting up with the fragrance in my silicone serum.

I've heard jojoba oil is good, but would that be the best to not make hair weighed down and oily looking? My hair also tends to look a shade darker when oily, so that is something I like to avoid as well.
    My hair doesn't really like oils unless it's for sealing post wash. Jojoba oil and argan oil, 2 drops after washing was enough for my waist length fine hair. Oils don't penetrate my hair and don't work on dry strands.
    I have best results with mineral oil mid wash (rinse out oil method). I use around 7 drops. That's what works best for me for moisture and doesn't weigh down my hair.

The only JBCO products I saw on Sallybeauty.com contained more ingredients than just castor oil. But I've found this that I'm going to check into:

https://tropicisleliving.com/product...tor-oil-8-floz

Length
    APL/WL/Clsc?

I buy my oils on ebay. You can find some really good prices and with a quick search I found some pure jbco. I know you can’t really verify the purity so much based on an ebay listing besides what the seller claims, but really it’s the same problem on Amazon or anywhere else, and I’d much rather support an independent seller than Jeff Bezos. Now, on the other hand I won’t buy henna from anyone but a reputable dealer because of the high risk of contaminants but oils aren’t so much of a big deal to me.

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

I have the same issue -- floaty hair if I dry my hair "straight" by wrapping or bunning. I like avocado oil (it's a lot lighter than it sounds) and the Aveda composition oils like Shampure or Stress Fix. I think they're mostly sunflower oil. Three drops is good for my canopy and bottom half to ends.

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.