Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    Thank you, lapushka! I never used sweet almond before but keep on hearing good things about it.
    You're welcome. Back in the day you could get a 100ml bottle filled at the local pharmacy for a couple Belgian Francs here. That's what my mom used to do (I have extremely dry skin). But still it is not a heavy oil! Not like olive oil for instance.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I use an OGX coconut oil leave-in conditioner, but I'm almost out of it. Do you think just using coconut oil is going to be better for my hair? I've really liked how this one works in my hair but have also considered trying argan oil or something else?

Can anyone let me know what hair oils worked best on thin, fine hair please?

Ive had a read through and cant decide what would be best for me but budget is tight so I cant afford to buy lots of different oils just to try so im looking for other's experiences.

In the past I have tried coconut oil and it DOES leave my hair soft, but like a lot of other people here it tends to leave my hair 'crispt' for lack of a better term. Since starting to use it I find my hair is trying to transition to curly too. WHen I dont use it/use other oils it stays straight. (FYI Ive nver had curly hair, even as a baby - its always been straight with a slight wave)

I have tried olive oil in the past and while I like it, it is a bit heavy for my hair and it takes ages to get it all washed out, and seems even then to leave a bit of residue.

I use Argan oil as a light leave in oil overnight but too much and I have the same problem as the olive oil.

I was thinking Sweet Almond oil would be a good one to try and I was also considering grapeseed oil. I was going to stay away from camellia oil as I have heard it can lighten hair and mine is a dark brown

I am also working on trying the shea moisture treatment mentioned here a lot too - I have a fresh aloe plant thats needs some TLC first.

thanks guys

Everyoneís hair is different. My hair is probably medium texture. Olive oil is heavy on my hair too. Iíve used wonderful shea butter masks that made my hair so nice but have not had luck in making a concoction myself using pure shea butter. Itís too heavy for my homemade abilities. I like a tiny bit of avocado oil on my ends. Iíd be curious to how you like grapeseed. It seems like itís a mix of trial and error mixed with molecular chemistry as to what oils work best for oneís own hair.
    Last edited by Jane99; April 13th, 2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Misread post and edited

Thanks for the reply Jane, sounds like its going to be a slow process then cause I wont be able to afford to get new things to try very often. I will probably start with Sweet Almond and Grapeseed next month then - I will be sure to let you know how it goes

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

For washing out any oil, conditioner and letting it sit to emulsify the oil is usually much better than trying to shampoo anything out. Works well even on heavy oiling for many of us

In terms of actual oils, sweet almond is popular and usually quite cheap to buy. I personally love babassu as it's similar to coconut but without the crispiness (though it is a bit more expensive). Depending on where you are in the world, sunflower oil might be very cheap as well.
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    24''/32''/40''
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

This might be a bit of an odd question, but would it be harmful or beneficial to keep a light oil mask in for longer than a day? I'm at home pretty much 24/7 now and my hair growth has been distressingly slow, so I've been experimenting with oil treatments more while no one can see me. But I only shower once or twice a week, so I've been wondering what would happen if I put in a mask a day or two after showering and then just kept the oil in there until my next shower day...

I'm also considering a recently purchased product which is basically just shea butter, coconut oil, and essential oils. It was sold as a hand cream, but it has great ingredients and smells amazing, so maybe I'll put that in my hair soon.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Larke View Post
    This might be a bit of an odd question, but would it be harmful or beneficial to keep a light oil mask in for longer than a day? I'm at home pretty much 24/7 now and my hair growth has been distressingly slow, so I've been experimenting with oil treatments more while no one can see me. But I only shower once or twice a week, so I've been wondering what would happen if I put in a mask a day or two after showering and then just kept the oil in there until my next shower day...
    I can't imagine how it would be harmful, unless it sits on scalp! I (and many other people with curly hair) oil my hair regularly without washing it out.
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL | SBL | MBL ~ (curly)
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL+ | SBL | MBL ~ (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    24''/32''/40''
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thanks for the reply! I definitely will try it then...below the ears, not on the scalp.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Larke View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I definitely will try it then...below the ears, not on the scalp.
    Hi Larke, I actually used to spend so much time at home that I would put amla oil in my hair and just leave it in for 3 to 4 days at a time. My hair length increased so quickly, which is actually why I am back here!

I read somewhere that it is pointless doing an oil treatment and then washing it out with shampoo, as you wash all the oil out and lose the benefits. Does anyone have feedback on this?
    BSL -> MBL -> Waist -> Hip -> TBL - > Classic!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41148&d=1587833829