Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARM updos for BSL hair?

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Question WARM updos for BSL hair?

One of my favorite parts about having long hair is my ability to use it as a blanket. But that means in the winter I'm leaving it down almost all the time, and letting it get damaged... which is why it's stuck at BSL. To make it worse, I work outside playing in the snow, teaching wilderness living skills to kids. This is the time that it gets the MOST tangled, since it's under a hat, rubbing a scarf, and I'm moving around a lot--but it's also the time I need it as a blanket the most!

Does anyone know any updos that work for BSL hair, that protect my ends and prevent tangles but leave my ears and neck covered with hair? Any ideas are appreciated!!

Thanks!

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: WARM updos for BSL hair?

Wait,wait - You said you wear a scarf and a hat,but you still need something to warm your ears and neck? :-O

Maybe a braid,but that won't help the friction much.A bun a little lower on the nape with hair brushed over your ears could work.I don't know any updo's that cover the neck,sadly.

How about wraping your entire head in a wide scarf tied under your chin? Would that be unpleasant?
    Last edited by LadyCelestina; December 30th, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

You could try a low hanging pony bun. I can't remember what they're called, but there are special winter hats out there somewhere designed to help protect your hair from winter damage and keep you warm. Maybe someone else could chime in with the name and where you can buy them.
    Grow, grow grow........

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    Wait,wait - You said you wear a scarf and a hat,but you still need something to warm your ears and neck? :-O

Maybe a braid,but that won't help the friction much.A bun a little lower on the nape with hair brushed over your ears could work.I don't know any updo's that cover the neck,sadly.

How about wraping your entire head in a wide scarf tied under your chin? Would that be unpleasant?
    It's COLD here, lol! I really don't know how short-haired folks do it. All the men I know who spend as much time outside as I do grow beards in the winter, and they still wrap their faces in scarves sometimes. Though I guess maybe they'd say, they don't know how folks who can't grow beards can do it, and I should just suck it up?

Sigh... I feel like there MUST be some styles that cover the neck, at least for very long hair. Question is, will they work for BSL.

Maybe I should try wrapping it all in a silk scarf under my fleece hat and scarf?

Thanks for the ideas! CurlyMopTop, if you remember what those hats are called please let me know!

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

You may have to settle for a longer, wider scarf that can wrap around you multiple times to cover everywhere. Even if it's thinner fabric, if it's wider and covers more exposed skin, it will almost always be much warmer. I use cheap pashminas for my neck, and they often do the job even for my low blood pressure and low body temperature (although I usually need earmuffs or a long hat for my ears, because they're particularly sensitive to cold). I'm living in Newfoundland and growing up in southern Ontario, trust me when I tell you I know cold!

I recommend looking for a scarf or piece of material (cotton, fleece, flannel, or if it's knitted make sure it's so tight you can't see through the holes) at least 8-10 inches wide and 5+ feet long. Center it on your head as if you were going to tie it under your chin, covering from your ears on to the back, then take both ends and wrap them around your neck. I usually cross them over after wrapping them back around to the front, since they're already at an angle, it secures them against my shirt and under my coat, and it covers any drafts from a zipper that starts to come undone or a low top button. If you don't quite cover the bottom of the back of your hair this way, you could also use the first neck wrap a little higher, unless your scarf is particularly silky and slides against itself that should cover everything fairly well.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd try a pony tail sorry its not approved and use a wide scarf to cover your head all the way to the ends.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I wear warm knitted tams that cover all my hair and in extreme cold I'll wear a headband under that and pull my hood up too. I've also been known to double up on scarves, especially with non-hooded coats. One under the coat and one over. Keeps those pesky gaps at bay.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I just got a calorimetry for Christmas, and I love it. Keeps the ears covered, but the hair is still free for updos. It obviously won't help keep the neck warm, but mine keeps my head warmer than I would have thought just to look at it.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'd wear up-dos and compensate with scarves.

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I'd wear up-dos and compensate with scarves.

Me too-- you've got to get yourself some warmer scarves!
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat