Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do people ask if your hair is real?

Default Do people ask if your hair is real?

I've got natural strawberry blonde hair which seems to be very eye catching at any length and often people ask me if my hair color is natural, however now that my hair is right around tailbone length people are asking if my hair is real or if I have extensions in because it doesn't seem believable. Where I live a majority of the folks with longer hair mostly have it between bsl and wl so I suppose I stand out a bit when I wear it down. My question is do people ask if your hair is real and if so at what length did people start asking?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Do people ask if your hair is real?

Had that happen to me in my early 20s, but that's about the only moment with that. My hair is thick, wavy, I was using henna at the time (shone bright orange/red in the sunshine) and it was always down and between APL/BSL. I guess it was too much for some.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Frequently, although I think a part of it is that there are lots of people whom I know casually who have never seen my hair down, and therefore presume that I'm wearing a wig when I actually do.

More common, though, is to ask if I did my hairstyle myself. (And I'm not particularly skilled at styling my hair, either!) If I'm being silly I tell them no, that my butler braided it for me XD

Length
    chin/hip/tbl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have never been asked if my hair was real. Maybe because itís not ~wildly wildly long~ or ~wildly wildly thick~?

Length
    0.5"/30"/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Frequently, although I think a part of it is that there are lots of people whom I know casually who have never seen my hair down, and therefore presume that I'm wearing a wig when I actually do.

More common, though, is to ask if I did my hairstyle myself. (And I'm not particularly skilled at styling my hair, either!) If I'm being silly I tell them no, that my butler braided it for me XD
    No-one has asked me this time around if my hair is real or extensions - I don't think it's long enough yet However I do get asked if the lighter face framing bits are natural or dyed (they're natural), and frequently am asked if I did "that amazing braid" myself. I'm always bemused as the only person who could feasibly have done it is my partner, and he can't even do a simple english
    I've also had confusion over how I manage to make a bun stay up with just a stick, the absolute confusion was priceless!
    Last trim 1st Oct 2021.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]- TBL[34"]-Classic[38"]

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/TBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

No one has ever asked if my hair is real. I suppose people who know me know I'm not the type to wear fake hair, and people who don't know me know better than to ask questions.

But yes, over the years I have often had friends and family ask if I styled it myself. (Then they sometimes ask if I can do theirs, and I always decline because doing my own hair is easier than doing someone else's.)
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Three times, that I ever remember. It is rare that anyone sees it down though.

The first time was a colleague who'd never seen my hair down (only bunned) and it was the first time it was down since starting to grow it beyond tailbone, and only because my bun had fallen out with the scarf and bulky collar jigging it about. That was around FTL.

The second time was when I'd done rag curls, this was ~MTL, and also because the colleague who asked had never seen my hair down before (always bunned) plus it was so different from my hair appearing straight in buns.

The last time was after a dentist appointment and I had it in a braid. We stopped off in a little shop on the way home, and after I'd gone back to sit in the car for a rest the shop assistant asked my Mum if it was real.

Before finding LHC my hair was always between hip and tailbone length, and I occasionally wore it down, in a half-up, in a ponytail or in a plait. Nobody ever asked me then! Probably because it didn't look healthy enough to be fake, and/or people knew me well enough to know that fake hair is not something I'd ever wear.

(My dentist is the only person who routinely sees my hair in a plait and has never asked if it was real, though it is so thin it would be a pitiful attempt at faking but he is Asian and long hair is less uncommon in the Asian communities around here. The people who've asked were all white, interestingly - and very long hair on white women here is unusual.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Every so often, yes... I get asked if this is my real hair or my natural hair. Being Canadian the question is often followed up with some sort of "I'm so sorry, I don't mean to be rude!" qualifier

I sense it's more my colour that provokes the question rather than my length or texture. I usually answer that the hair is absolutely real but the colour is very much boosted

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Yes, I have been asked if my hair is real.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    11/21/30
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

No, people always thought my hair length was real (since I've never had hair longer than WL), but someone asked me last week what I'm using to colour my hair and was a bit skeptical when I said it's my natural colour. Also, when I was in second grade, my teacher scollded me for having highlights in my hair (I didn't, my hair just naturally lightened over summer because of the sun), and she called my parents to school because she thought I lied about that. When I was little (10-15 years old) I always had problems with people telling me to stop colouring my hair even though I didn't do that. I believe it's because it looks drastically different in other lights (sometimes it looks deep brown, sometimes auburn, most of the times plain brown and in certain lights it looks dark blonde). After starting to dye my hair, most people believed that the black blue dye was, indeed, my natural colour, which buggs my mind, since that looks so artificial .