Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual Curly Hair Secrets and Tips?

Length
    SL/SL/WL?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/i

Default Unusual Curly Hair Secrets and Tips?

I'm always on the lookout for new and original tips for cleanses/managing/styling curly hair. Please share some good tips and advice! Maybe we can create a guide for curly hair

Length
    25/34/47
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Unusual Curly Hair Secrets and Tips?

I have been looking into the curly girl method of doing things lately, I am still a bit confused by it all, but I started to do it the other day and the next day my hair was completely new hair, it was not frizzy and had some seriously nice curls. And then I put it up into an updo to go to my Grandmothers Birthday so I ruined the curls when I did that. All I really changed was I did not use shampoo and added a bit of conditioner to it after I showered as a leave in. So I plan to keep this up for at least a few months if I can to see what it will do for my hair.
    Hip!! Hoping to make TBL by the end of the year.
    BSL 24" - WAIST 28" - HIP 33" - BCL 35" - TBL 39" - CLASSIC 47"

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

The curly trick I learned that made all the difference was pixie curl diffusing. It allows for better curl formation because you are not touching the hair as much.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvXyZz6Z2nI
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rock007junkie View Post
    The curly trick I learned that made all the difference was pixie curl diffusing. It allows for better curl formation because you are not touching the hair as much.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvXyZz6Z2nI
    I thought that was the regular way to diffuse your hair!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL+/TBL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

The most important thing to remember is that curly hair never, ever does the same thing twice, or from one hour to the next.

Type
    3b/M/ii

My curls never look the same twice. I don't have any tips or suggestions, but I look forward to seeing what other people have to say.

Length
    Sl/WL/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Something I discovered that made my curls shiny and defined was wet oiling the ends with a little bit of castor oil. Even though my hair is quite fine and gets weighed down easily, my curls didn't droop at all.

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I use my turby towel to plop my hair post shower till I am done with teeth, dressing and whatnot then I spray my crazy hair mix of water mineral oil and acv with just a touch of honey which I nuked for 30 seconds before pouring in since that in theory kills the natural peroxide in the honey and I am not looking for any lightning. I get super defined curls pretty much every time so far.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Length
    SL/WL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My unusual tip is to stop using conditioner dare I say it...? And to top it off, to blow-dry on cool

I was doing the conditioner-only method, trying every which way to add moisture to my hair, and ending up with icky, frizzy, coarse, dull, bleh-hair. After lots of experimenting without finding anything that worked more than once or twice, I have now ended up with the routine below. This seems to work the best ever, even though results are not perfect (though as some others said, curly/wavy hair never acts consistently, so I guess that maybe this is the best I will get... ):

* Shampoo with a dilution of 4-10 times non-SLS-shampoo and a dash of apple cider vinegar (this fixes the acidity of the solution since I use my regular hard shower water to dilute with, and also conditions a little and encourages waves/curls). Dilution strength according to cleansing need/level of dirtiness
    * Put about 6 drops of pure mineral oil through the lengths and very little on the canopy on dripping wet hair, and scrunch a little.
    * "Fold up" in a t-shirt for about 5 minutes to soak up the worst wetness (by "fold up" I mean to drape an old t-shirt over your shoulders with the neckline against your neck, the arms hanging down over your arms, and the rest hanging down your back, with your hair also hanging down your back. Then fold the bottom of the t-shirt up over your lengths and put it at your hairline/brow, so that the t-shirt "body" acts as a "sack" for your lengths. Bring the t-shirt arms up over your brow and tie them loosely together, securing the bottom end of the t-shirt at your brow).
    * Remove the t-shirt after chosen time and blow dry on cool setting, always from above the head down along the lengths (this is important to avoid frizz!), keeping the dryer some distance away from the hair, until the hair is about half-dry.
    * Air dry the rest of the way, avoiding touching the hair as much as possible (I do not have the patience to blow-dry all the way, possible the results would be even better if I did. Have to try some time...).

This leaves my hair soft, quite shiny, with the least frizz I have ever experienced, with waves and some elongated spirals that actually keeps quite nice and well together left loose and down through a normal day. Note that the blow drying is a vital part of the routine that produces this nice result, see this thread/post with some science explaining this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post2349192

Length
    SL/WL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Also, use a silk pillow case when sleeping! This makes a big difference in frizz level for me